Motorola sold to Lenovo, Texas plant closing

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I am so sad to see Motorola being sold off to a Chinese company. No question there will be a substantial quality reduction and even less support.
I would have bought another Motorola phone in an instant when my contract is up because of the top notch reception and battery life, not to mention the active notifications.
Looks like Ill be checking out the S6 when its here in 18 months.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't write Moto off just yet. Lenovo isn't just any Chinese company--they've been making high quality PCs ever since taking over IBM's PC business in 2005. So far, the support is still quite high--the Moto X was essentially the second phone to start getting the 4.4.3 update rollout, and they also confirmed the Droid Maxx/Mini/Ultra will get 4.4.3.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The plant closing makes me mad especially when they just got it opened not long ago. Now they're laying off a bunch of people.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Lenovo is a great company. I wouldn't count them out just yet. Closing the plant was bad? Yes but its not over for Moto when it comes to good devices. Give em' a chance.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I am so sad to see Motorola being sold off to a Chinese company. No question there will be a substantial quality reduction and even less support.
I would have bought another Motorola phone in an instant when my contract is up because of the top notch reception and battery life, not to mention the active notifications.

To be fair, all along, all of the phones have been manufactured in China all along - it was just the MotoMaker phones that were *assembled* in Texas. They're stopping that last step due to lack of sales.

And there's no doubt that Motorola skimped on technology as well, particularly the camera components.

I'm keeping an open mind. I'm a year away from upgrading anyway, and any phones that are sold even this year we're designed by the Google owned Motorola, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the 2015 phones are already well into the planning stages right now, and Motorola is still owned by Google. The sale has not been approved by regulators or closed yet.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The last I knew the sale wasn't final yet. So technically, as of right now Moto is still part of Google. The plant in the US closing is sad, but I think it would have had a better chance at staying open if all carriers got the option of the Moto maker right away.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

What does being Chinese have to do with anything? Xenophobic much?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What does being Chinese have to do with anything? Xenophobic much?

Posted via Android Central App

I doubt the OP was being xenophobic--probably just wary of Chinese companies because of all of those subpar (and knockoff) cheapo devices that more obscure Chinese companies tend to flood the market with. I'm wary of no-name Chinese products as well (and I'm Chinese!), but as I mentioned before, Lenovo has a good reputation and makes good products.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the OP was being xenophobic--probably just wary of Chinese companies because of all of those subpar (and knockoff) cheapo devices that more obscure Chinese companies tend to flood the market with. I'm wary of no-name Chinese products as well (and I'm Chinese!), but as I mentioned before, Lenovo has a good reputation and makes good products.

Yes they do.. Thinkpads haven't lost a beat since Lenovo bought them from IBM. Recent models are some of the best yet, and Lenovo continues to be the only major laptop manufacturer outside of Apple who does their own designs (meaning they don't outsource them). I can't speak for their phones, but they clearly make great laptops.

I'm hopeful for the Moto phone lineup.. but obviously time will tell.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01