KitKat nearly at 14%

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is this worldwide? Or US?

Though, whenever I see these stats, the article often glosses over the single biggest reason why KK isn't much higher: the version of Android you are running on your phone is almost always out of Google's control. The only people getting their stuff from Google are Nexus device owners... everyone else has to wait for whomever made their device to get a release ready and then, in most cases, they have to wait on their carrier to accept the update, do their own fiddling with it, then push it out.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that there is a HUGE chunk of those ICS and JB devices where the ONLY reason they are not running KK is because someone sitting at Samsung, or Huwaei, Verizon or AT&T decided they were SOL.

This kind of BS was why I got a Nexus 5.... not only can I get my stuff when it comes out, I don't have to deal with any carrier junk if I want to load something custom.... Any Verizon Wireless SIII owners who took that 4.3 JB update also got an encrypted bootloader along with it, so their completely chained to VZW.... Last I checked, VZW wasn't going to update them to KitKat.... so ALLLLLL those US customers who bought SIII's will be keeping those 4.3 numbers high until they can upgrade (starting end of this year)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Is this worldwide? Or US?

Though, whenever I see these stats, the article often glosses over the single biggest reason why KK isn't much higher: the version of Android you are running on your phone is almost always out of Google's control. The only people getting their stuff from Google are Nexus device owners... everyone else has to wait for whomever made their device to get a release ready and then, in most cases, they have to wait on their carrier to accept the update, do their own fiddling with it, then push it out.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that there is a HUGE chunk of those ICS and JB devices where the ONLY reason they are not running KK is because someone sitting at Samsung, or Huwaei, Verizon or AT&T decided they were SOL.

This kind of BS was why I got a Nexus 5.... not only can I get my stuff when it comes out, I don't have to deal with any carrier junk if I want to load something custom.... Any Verizon Wireless SIII owners who took that 4.3 JB update also got an encrypted bootloader along with it, so their completely chained to VZW.... Last I checked, VZW wasn't going to update them to KitKat.... so ALLLLLL those US customers who bought SIII's will be keeping those 4.3 numbers high until they can upgrade (starting end of this year)

Why are you going off on a rant on a good news thread?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would have guessed worldwide for 2 reasons. One the link is straight from Google with no other links I could see And second, to give developers a breakdown as to how to build their app for the lowest API level.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I would have guessed worldwide for 2 reasons. One the link is straight from Google with no other links I could see And second, to give developers a breakdown as to how to build their app for the lowest API level.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Good point on the second part.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I point at Motorola and Samsung for getting that saturation up. Samsung for the GS3 (OK, I guess this one JUST released on some carriers), GN3 and higher getting KK already. Motorola for the X, G and E all getting KK already plus many of the recent/current Droid line getting it also.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was only pointing to the fact that the the KK saturation is actually being artificially held back here in the US due to the carriers locking customers into their phones for the life of their contract... Sure, you can always pay full retail and get a new phone, but that price is often prohibitive. Those new plans, where the phone is broken out into a separate plan, are still new enough where there are still a large percentage of customers on the old style 'locked in' plans.

I think this summer and fall will see HUGE gains in KK.... I'd like to see the numbers, but I would chance a guess that 2012 was a BIG year for smart phone penetration.... and all those new smartphone owners are looking at their renew dates coming up soon.

I mean, compare the overall quality of phones out now, and compare them to two years ago.... back then, to get something good, you really had to go for the top end.. the mid-range was sorely lacking and the 'value' lines were junk. Now? You can get a damn good phone, outright and without being locked in, for $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith