Starbucks Adopts... PMA for wireless charging?!?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
When Tim Cook unveils the iPhone 6 it will not shock me in the least to hear him say something like "and we've teamed up with Starbucks...". It's the only reason this would make sense for Starbucks and its customers. Otherwise, why not install the standard that is already in use by many phone OEMs vs gambling on the underdog? Unless Apple is behind this, that's not a good business gamble.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Who knows? Does the article talk about it more in depth?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Who knows? Does the article talk about it more in depth?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

No. It actually doesn't even mention the reason they chose PMA. It's just my suspicion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If they use PMA would users have to accept terms of using it and in return allow starbucks access info on the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For reference: Starbucks starts rolling out wireless phone chargers nationwide | The Verge

A little bit of history: Here’s why Qualcomm just joined the PMA: Hope for a single wireless charging standard — Tech News and Analysis

There were three: Power Matters Aliance (PMA), Wireless Power Consortium (WPC), and Alliance For Wireless Power (A4WP). A4WP is Qualcomm's solution and late last year, they joined both PMA and WPC. Qi is WPC.

Earlier this year, PMA and A4WP essentially merged.

Two alliances team up to win the wireless charging war | The Verge

What both parties get, though, is a leg up on Qi. Originally, the Wireless Power Consortium's Qi standard was the front-runner in wireless charging — attracting device manufacturers like HTC, LG, and Samsung to build phones and tablets with the tech — but over the past couple years the PMA and A4WP have attracted a host of supporters, including Intel, AT&T, Starbucks, McDonalds (via PowerKiss), and The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Qualcomm and Samsung have been playing the field, presumably hedging their bets, but both are founding members of the A4WP. WiTricity, the MIT spinoff that invented resonant wireless charging, is now an A4WP member as well.

Starbucks adopting PMA isn't anything new. Finally rolling it out is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad