What's the biggest problem with the app-world today?

Apptous

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is my first 'proper' post here. The reason for this post, however, is because I'm currently doing some research for a new platform I'm helping out with and was hoping you might be able to answer a quick question for me:

What do you see as the biggest problem facing the app world today?

Is it something to do with the app stores? Distribution, discovering new apps, or something else?

I'd love to open a discussion about this and explore where you see things going in the near future :)

All the best!
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The thing that bugs me the most is the freemium model. It can lure people in and then lead to excessive purchases without the user really being that aware of it. This is obviously an issue with children who use their parents' account or credit card. I realize that app developers need to make money, but I much prefer the trial system, and then pay a set amount for the app if I like it. I will often purchase a full app even if the free version does most everything I need, and if I really like a free app, I'll also try to donate to the dev.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The thing that bugs me the most is the freemium model. It can lure people in and then lead to excessive purchases without the user really being that aware of it. This is obviously an issue with children who use their parents' account or credit card. I realize that app developers need to make money, but I much prefer the trial system, and then pay a set amount for the app if I like it. I will often purchase a full app even if the free version does most everything I need, and if I really like a free app, I'll also try to donate to the dev.

The freemium model doesn't bother me much.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The freemium model doesn't bother me much.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

It does to me when you have to spend over $100 on a game to remain competitive.

My biggest issue, fragmentation. Not necessarily device spec fragmentation. You can't expect a game with 512 mb of RAM to run the latest and greatest every time but the fragmentation where a game is optimized for very specific processors and stuff is annoying... Though possibly even moreso when it's not optimized and it runs like crap on an octa-core phone.

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

P. Diddy... Yes, yes, you're right on everything... I can play many freemium games to the end without paying a cent.. but if I enjoy it, I'll purchase $5-$10 worth of Gold, Stars, Whatever, to support devs. But I rather pay for a full game upfront. Even $100 worth of Gold-whatever will not accomplish much - when a $40-$50 PC/Console Title (which is a real game by today's standard) provides 100% of the game...

There's nothing else that comes close to mentioning with the Apps today...

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It does to me when you have to spend over $100 on a game to remain competitive.

My biggest issue, fragmentation. Not necessarily device spec fragmentation. You can't expect a game with 512 mb of RAM to run the latest and greatest every time but the fragmentation where a game is optimized for very specific processors and stuff is annoying... Though possibly even moreso when it's not optimized and it runs like crap on an octa-core phone.

Bro, sometimes I just love your posts.... so glad we find common ground... :) All though I cant complain about fragmentation (iPhone user), I did experience lag on a few late games with my 3GS on it's 4th-5th year of ownership even if it did run latest iOS (it originally came with iOS 3 and ran up to iOS 6.x.x).

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of "in-app" buys. I'd rather it be a lot more cut and dry...Either you buy the app or you don't. Unless its something like a music service of course. I mean this in a general sense. Buying upgrades and what not seem to drive me nuts! But thats just me. :p