What will be Android's biggest hurdle?

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I say Wp7 due to being fresh and new and it having multiple devices and soon to be on all carriers similar to Andriod with Xbox(games), Zune(pass) integration and all the business/office programs.

Most Iphone customers will be coming from AT&T for better reception or returning to their carrier of choice after jumping ship...then again I went to TiPb and most said they will stay with AT&T due to GSM.

Doesn't matter to me although i'm an Xbox supporter and Zune user the only new phone i'm looking fwd to is the Evo 2. I left the Pre in June for the Evo so I can't upgrade until then. I have nothing against Apple I just never owned there products.

Lets just hope gingerbread can up the ante and help stave off the competition which is needed to keep the innovation ball rolling.

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to say the iPhone. Even the brightest of forecasts for Windows phones is not that great. They're not forecast to get any real market share and are actually forecast to lose their "bump" rather quickly. The iPhone, however, will remain a very tough competitor.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
iPhone won't come to Verizon until at least June when the iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called is released. Why would Apple create a CDMA iPhone (which requires designing an entirely new phone, by the way) only to have to update it in 6 months when they release a new GSM version? Apple is in a grove with their yearly refresh cycle, just look at the Verizon iPad: its a Wifi iPad with a Verizon MiFi. No internal CDMA to be found. If anything, we will see a new iPad before a new iPhone.

Apple may, MAY, announce a Verizon iPhone (as in, the iPhone will be coming to Verizon "later this year" or something) around CES, but even that is doubtful. Also, CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint are currently the driving forces behind Android (TMO to a much lesser extent) in the USA. Last I checked, WP7 was only GSM until sometime next year. As such, Android shouldn't have much, if any, real competition in the US until probably late Q1 or Q2 of next year. If the Pre 2 hits on all the carriers, it might offer some decent competition, but I really would like to see Palm make a 3.7 or 4.0 inch touch screen only phone to really be competitive.

International (i.e. Europe) is a different story, but the Desire Z and Desire HD should sell like hotcakes once they start becoming available. In short, Android is a-OK for the time being. I think sales this Christmas season will be insane, and Android will go into the new year with a very small gap between it and BB for US marketshare dominance (and close the gap on Nokia internationally).

But that's my opinion ;)

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the iphone presents more of a challenge for android but it coming to verizon does not get in the way of the android machine. The way that google is innovating in this space is so fast right now, its hard to compete with just one walled device. Windows phone as a brand has hardly any mind share at all with the mass market and they have too many hurdles to go over before they can be considered serious contendors. By the time iphone is to come out (most are predicting CES) we will have gingerbread already out, with honeycomb and a gang of tablets right around the corner.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would GUESS the iPhone, even though personally, I would head to a Windows phone long before becoming an iPhone zombie.
As for when the iPhone wil be coming to Verizon.....NO one on this site, or who at least posts on this site, knows for sure, contrary to what they want others to believe.

It will arrive at Verizon, when it arrives and speculation is just that, speculation.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think both are looking up at Android right now. They just need to keep evolving Android OS and available Google apps, and all including Blackberry will be chasing Android.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
iPhone won't come to Verizon until at least June when the iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called is released. Why would Apple create a CDMA iPhone (which requires designing an entirely new phone, by the way) only to have to update it in 6 months when they release a new GSM version? Apple is in a grove with their yearly refresh cycle, just look at the Verizon iPad: its a Wifi iPad with a Verizon MiFi. No internal CDMA to be found. If anything, we will see a new iPad before a new iPhone.

Just curious, but why would it require them to redesign it? They could just take out the SIM slot and replace the radio and have a CDMA iPhone.

Why would they make one just to update it in 6 months? Because people will buy it. There are a lot of people on Verizon that are waiting for an iPhone, and wouldn't wait 6 months if they could get it now. I think the AT&T defectors would wait for the next one, but not those on Verizon.

Plus, just look at Android...your phone is obsolete in 6 months anyway.

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

This. There is your biggest hurdle with Android. Say what you want about Apple but there yearly refresh plan works . Sadly I think some of us are so loyal to our phones we forget the masses don't hop to different phones every six months. Why you ask, simple because we sign contracts. So let's not forget that Verizon will push the iPhone because its a sure seller and being it last a ful year most people would think of it as a better value. So that's the biggest hurdle for Android not anyone but themselves.

shanesol

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

This. There is your biggest hurdle with Android. Say what you want about Apple but there yearly refresh plan works . Sadly I think some of us are so loyal to our phones we forget the masses don't hop to different phones every six months. Why you ask, simple because we sign contracts. So let's not forget that Verizon will push the iPhone because its a sure seller and being it last a ful year most people would think of it as a better value. So that's the biggest hurdle for Android not anyone but themselves.

I have to agree. It seems like when everyone puts up a post about having an upgrade and deciding on a phone, one of the options is always waiting it out a couple months to see what better phone is about to come out. The competition from companies make Android and the phones awesome sure but it hurts the customer when the know that in just 6 months, sometimes a lot less, their phone will be old news.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The iphone will hurt Android if released on the big v. Android's innovative is great the pace in releases and fragmentation will kill it if not put in check. like vzw Bing issue trying to open its own app store. phones being released on 1.6 with no hope in seeing froyo or above that will burn enough people to drive them away. some can argue legacy will happen but guess if the d1 will get gingerbread I bet not. It seems that once a phone has been out for a year it looses support and will only get worse with the locked down bootloaders and nand locks. What to you think is going to happen to the d2/x when they decide not to support it anymore will it be like the g1 and receive updates that it shouldn't be able to run it bet not

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Some of your guys' arguments don't make sense. Your saying that every six months a better phone comes out? Duh, its called innovation. You know what else that can be said about? Computers, and last time I checked windows dominates apple worldwide because of it.

Most people when their contract is up, goes to the store and picks up a phone the reps recommend. My best friend who is the complete opposite of tech-saavy, went to the store and picked up an Epic 4g. Sister did the same with mytouch slide. I don't think android will be effected much. some will simply stack up design and features and pick the best for them. You have the iphone with its one design vs. Various droid phones at verizon (incrediable, droid 2, x, pro, etc) and they will pick what's best for them. My parents are really excited to drop their blackberries for the pro because of the familiar design.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Some of your guys' arguments don't make sense. Your saying that every six months a better phone comes out? Duh, its called innovation.

Lol Really....smh innovation you say ,yeah like the way the droid 2 innovates more than the original droid? Androids fragmentation and extreme release cycle will bite it in the rear if not put in check. You cant compare this to computers because they don't come with a 2 year contract for service. As for the iphone well although i would rather there be different models but the number speak for them self. Just think it took android making tons of phone to finally put a dent in apples market share. Four phones on one carrier has dominated the consumer market. I really don't see a bright future for the droid line on verizon if the iphone truly becomes available. This is far from doom and gloom for android but where would android be without verizons push? Just for kicks who forced verizon to make the push? Yep you guessed it the same phone they will pimp once they get it.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I see slowing down is major os releases not phone releases and Android is innovating. And in some ways still playing catch up. But I see all the phones being released as a good thing

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree as soon as iPhone on the big v OS released.. its gonna be a hit look how the iPhone sell don't get me wrong I love Android but iPhone numbers don't lie one device on one. Carriwe has so much share if it became on all 4 major carrier then Android would take a major hit

sent from my HTC Evo using tapatalk

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Androids biggest hurdle is a phone and OS that makes sense and works for the business community.
There's a reason Blackberry is still number one. It's simple and it works.
Build a better mousetrap...others will beat down the door.

Android is a great consumer phone, it's features and ease of use is not up to par for Corporate Customers. It is getting better...it's not there yet.

I too, am excited for the Windows 7 phone. Most important for my line of business and the folks I support is the Email, Calendar, Contacts and tasks in that order. They are more important than a large/fast screen and browser at this point in time.

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Androids biggest hurdle is a phone and OS that makes sense and works for the business community.
There's a reason Blackberry is still number one. It's simple and it works.
Build a better mousetrap...others will beat down the door.

Android is a great consumer phone, it's features and ease of use is not up to par for Corporate Customers. It is getting better...it's not there yet.

I too, am excited for the Windows 7 phone. Most important for my line of business and the folks I support is the Email, Calendar, Contacts and tasks in that order. They are more important than a large/fast screen and browser at this point in time.
Yup he is also right android needs to be a little more easier to use because honestly its not as easy as the others.. and yep can't wait for wp7 looking good so far

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
While wp7 looks good I would much rather have webos ease of use and looks it's unparalleled to bad it still needs good hardware give me webos on an evo and I would be happy. And no multi tasking drops wp7 bellow ios 3.0 in my book

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
While wp7 looks good I would much rather have webos ease of use and looks it's unparalleled to bad it still needs good hardware give me webos on an evo and I would be happy. And no multi tasking drops wp7 bellow ios 3.0 in my book

Yea webos. Loves my pre software but to little for me.. but Windows 7 is shaping up nicely

WhoIsThis

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to say that the biggest hurdle is not so much what other operating systems offer as it is what carriers and phone makers might do to mess it up. Android has short release cycles so it can keep up. The problem is the carriers. Fewer and fewer phones are Google Experience phones these days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae