Yahoo Aviate, Yea or Nay?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
nay. tried it for a few days. MUCH more complicated than apex and nova. and any launcher whose app drawer is broken down with A apps B apps and so on is ridiculously unwieldy.

also am not a fan of yahoo digest, which is a complete waste of time, and aviate forcing it on me is a downer.

Yahoo new digest is a mainstay on my device. Condensed top news stories the world over is exactly something I love.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never tried Aviate before right now and it instantly joins Action Launcher in my top 2 launchers! Thanks for the tip A895!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's what worries me, what with Yahoo's extensive history of massive database breaches, leaks, and compromises.

I can't say something to alay your fears because I don't think Yahoo is anymore vulnerable than any other company, and let's not forget that this an app they aren't trying to steal all the things, it's a launcher like any other launcher it is just more adaptive.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It is an interesting launcher with a good UI but it's not for me. I want my Launcher to get out of the way. and into whatever app I'm trying to use. This launcher makes launching an app too complicated, things are always moving around so you're never quite sure where to look to do what you are trying to do.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I went back to action Launcher myself. Though this is a good Launcher and works pretty well, it's too busy for me in general

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

cedellh

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been using aviate for a while now. I am constantly changing launchers but this one has given me something to hold on to.

I do have a problem with the new update. When I change a widget, it will reset back. I can't figure out how to lock in my changes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Inability to effectively switch to landscape mode and look nice makes this, or any other launcher, a non starter for me. That's why I'm still happy with Nova.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Last update didn't make me very happy. They did a fairly heavy overhaul of the UI and now it's consuming over 200mb RAM and lagging quite a bit. I also didn't like some of the design changes. Went back to Nova on my phone and Smart Launcher on my tablet. Not to be a negative Nancy but someone coined a phrase ”yahoo is where good apps get bought and go to die" lol but I fear this possibility now seeing as the last update is their first set of changes since the buyout

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I want my Launcher to get out of the way

Agree 100%.... as a kind of visual exercise to rethink about launchers could operate, yeah... it was kind of cool. But it was WAY over-baked.... fussy and complicated... simple operations take several more steps than with a different launcher. I tried it for a day or so.... there's a difference between customizing a phone to make it your own (which Nova does quite well) and needing customization just to make it usable. Aviate requires the latter.

I LIKE the Google Now Launcher on my Nexus 5.... No fussy settings, no maze of functions and features. Here is the stock feature list: Lightning fast access to Google Now, change the background, move around your icons and add and resize (some) widgets..... that's the bulk of it... simple and to the point and you can spend your time doing something else.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I got an email from the developer last week. How about you guys.
I would like to help them out but I hardly spent any time on it.

decarlo4

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I loved this launch until the recent update. The update caused software problems for me. My phone was lagging and when I opened certain apps they would close after a minute or two with a message that the app was not responding and needed to close. According to the tech who looked at my phone he said it was the launcher causing the problems. So, he reset my phone and I haven't had any problems with my apps if lagging. I hope they fix this because I love the look of this launcher and convenience.

Did anyone else experience any of this after the recent update?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I loved this launch until the recent update. The update caused software problems for me. My phone was lagging and when I opened certain apps they would close after a minute or two with a message that the app was not responding and needed to close. According to the tech who looked at my phone he said it was the launcher causing the problems. So, he reset my phone and I haven't had any problems with my apps if lagging. I hope they fix this because I love the look of this launcher and convenience.

Did anyone else experience any of this after the recent update?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yup, I mentioned some above. Honestly? I can get most of the Aviate features using a combination of Nova and Zooper and do it better with a smoother experience. Pretty much the only thing left I can't do is the auto categorized app drawer, but even then I did have to tweak Aviate choices. Google Now already does what the Nearby function in Aviate does. If they cut the lag and improve the appearance of the UI I'm willing to revisit it though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol