Yahoo Aviate, Yea or Nay?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Its a Yea for me. How do you feel about the new Aviate update?

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

Attachments

• 14794.jpg
    14794.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 14795.jpg
    14795.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 14796.jpg
    14796.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 14797.jpg
    14797.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

sweeperdk

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm still waiting to get in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There shouldn't be any wait anymore, as it's out of beta today.

I'm on the fence with this one... I used it loads during beta, and absolutely loved it.

The changes that have been implemented in the final version will take some getting used to for me...

Also... A bit buggy... It won't register that I'm home or at work, it won't register my correct placement when looking at weather under "Today"(not even the same country).

So I'm not sure if I'll stick with it... Will give it a couple of days and decide.

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site
There shouldn't be any wait anymore, as it's out of beta today.

I'm on the fence with this one... I used it loads during beta, and absolutely loved it.

The changes that have been implemented in the final version will take some getting used to for me...

Also... A bit buggy... It won't register that I'm home or at work, it won't register my correct placement when looking at weather under "Today"(not even the same country).

So I'm not sure if I'll stick with it... Will give it a couple of days and decide.
Ah. Thank you for the tip! I'll have to play around with it to see if I like it or not.
Right now I'm really confused by everything so I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
the amount of permissions requested by this launcher scares me o_o

sent from my Moto X <3

You do know what Aviate does right? It is a predicative launcher, the permissions makes sense and this is from Yahoo, so it's trustworthy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I like Nova, but I like having to do less with my launcher even more.

Do less? I set it up once.. Backed it up.. And done :). New phone? Install and restore.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Do less? I set it up once.. Backed it up.. And done :). New phone? Install and restore.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

True, but I like Aviates simpler interface, especially with the weather and news integrated directly into the launcher.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I used it for a little while but it seemed to be hitting my battery rather hard...

From HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
You sure? Because I have been using it for a a couple days and it does not even show up in my battery stats.

ekyle

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You sure? Because I have been using it for a a couple days and it does not even show up in my battery stats.

It was at 13℅ usage after being unplugged for two or three hours this morning. I'll give it another try and see what happens.

From HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

ekyle

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that it seems a touch slow on recognizing where I am. For example, it gives me the today space rather than home or work much of the time when I am at home or at work. Not sure if that is by design or not. Other than that I don't seem to be getting as much drain on the battery this time around, about what I got with Nova. I guess I hadn't given it enough time on my last go.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know about this. Didn't stick with launchers with all the configuring and reliance on stock or Gmail.
Yahoo has always been my main mail so I will give this a try.
Much thanking of your you-ness!

Posted via Android Central App

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It has some bugs that still need work, and I disagree with some of the design direction they went to. But as far as being intuitive, functional, contextually aware, and closely adhering to a real google look and feel it's THE launcher in its category imo

It just makes me feel like this is how a modern google android UI ought to look like. Those older aosp launchers like nova, apex etc just feel dated to me

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Using it today to tour across the countryside today, the Nearby feature was great for finding attractions and restaurants ( with reviews) along the way. Very cool to have built right into the UI and integrates well with google Now and Maps

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
nay. tried it for a few days. MUCH more complicated than apex and nova. and any launcher whose app drawer is broken down with A apps B apps and so on is ridiculously unwieldy.

also am not a fan of yahoo digest, which is a complete waste of time, and aviate forcing it on me is a downer.