Google buys security camera company - privacy concerns?

Mwanahabari

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Halfway down this article, the photographer discusses Google's purchase of Dropcam and whether this raises any privacy concerns. He makes a number of good points and has made me think whether I'd even want one on the front or back of my house as even that could log what time I generally leave and return to and from work. As for having cameras inside, that would be a huge no-no!

What do you think? Is paranoia kicking in with these big tech companies? Or is it unfounded fears?

What type of photographer are you and is Google watching you | Cambridge News | Lifestyle-and-Leisure | Technology

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Technically, Nest bought Dropcam. Nest is a wholely owned subsidiary of Google, but does operate as a separate company. I think it is all paranoia.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't care... If Google knows when I get to work and when I leave it doesn't bother me... They already know this from my phone telling me traffic before I drive to work... Or my Nest being turned up at the same time every day.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Paranoia. People can't do nothing but be scared of Google lately for some reason.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Paranoia. People can't do nothing but be scared of Google lately for some reason.

I believe it has to do with all the NSA stuff.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe it has to do with all the NSA stuff.

Yeah, but very company was cooperating with the NSA, Google is no special case. Microsoft was even paid to hand over some info. Seems people always skim over that part. Or the fact cellular companies like VZW were working with the NSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo