Android in 2015: Bringing 'pure Google' to every screen

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Again...so what? No one is saying they should not be allowed to do that.

I am explaining why I am cheerleading the demise of vendor skins. I am not advocating that they should be forbidden to do it.

They cannot die fast enough as far as I'm concerned. And I applaud google's attempts to make it harder for vendor skins to exist.

Not the same thing. Though Android Silver might change that.

So far Pure Google is still better than Pure Samsung or Pure HTC or Pure LG.

Samsung is as free to put their crappy skin on anything they want as they ever were. Android is as open as it ever was. Google is simply dictating what phones have to be like if they want to ship with Google's (not Android's) software. The Play Store is not part of the Android OS. If Samsung wants it, they need to dial back their obnoxious UI skin. It's up to Samsung if they want to do that or not. But Android is no less open no matter what Samsung decides.

Therefore there is not less choice for the consumer. There is more.

Nothing you said in this post changes the fact the Pure Google and Pure Android are two different things.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nothing you said in this post changes the fact the Pure Google and Pure Android are two different things.

Ok, fine. Semantics are everything.

For all practical purposes, they are the same thing. Since no one wants to use one without the other. It's like trying to argue that tires are not part of a car.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

For all practical purposes, they are the same thing. Since no one wants to use one without the other. It's like trying to argue that tires are not part of a car.

They aren't, I could use a car without tires.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That's not at all what it's like.
You can still use a phone without GApps. You can't use a car without tires.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That's not at all what it's like.
You can still use a phone without GApps. You can't use a car without tires.
Post #23 disagrees with you.

Technically, yes, you can use a car without tires (it still has wheels after all). It just would not be a very fun experience.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They aren't, I could use a car without tires.

(sorry for tl;dr post)

And it is about as useful as Android without the Gapps.... you can listen to some music, keep cool on a hot summer day, etc... but you really lose what the car was designed to do. Fact is that without the Google Apps, these phones lose a substantial amount of their functionality. And while there are some people who will load an AOSP-based custom ROM on their phones WITHOUT loading gapps, they are an extremely small (somewhat tinfoil hat wearing) minority. Fact is that the overwhelming majority of people run, and rely, on those Google apps and services.

But like JD said, Google's own version of Android is as close to 'pure' Android as you are going to get. They add functionality without forcing you to deal with a heavily modified UI and layout. Settings, Quick Settings, Notifications, UI look and feel... all that background stuff... they aren't screwing with that. The biggest 'look and feel' change they make is the Google Now Launcher that they throw on Nexus devices. But as far as launchers go, GNL is a really barebones launcher that hooks into Google Now (Google's killer app, IMHO).... but that is just a launcher that you can replace if you like.

Yes, Android is open source and OEMs are free to modify it to suit their own needs. But I think that Google is quite aggravated with how perverse things have gotten. Look at the Galaxy S5. Samsung has basically taken a Ferrari 458 and slapped on a few dozen extra gauges and screens and a 4000lbs trailer on the back. There are millions of smartphone users whose ONLY experience with Android is various iterations of Samsung's abomination. And I find that quite sad.

When people reviewed the Nexus 5... or even the Moto.... they will all, invariably, praise the OS and how much of a breath of fresh air the OS was. Why is it that the Moto X, with relatively underpowered hardware, could perform as well as it did? Motorola didn't sprinkle in some magic processing dust, they just chose not to slow the phone down. When they talk about OEM Android flavors, the best they can come up with is "Well, I guess if you have to pick one, Sense is not that bad". Glowing praise indeed.

So that seems to have emboldened Google to try to 'take Android back' a bit and both improve the experience and try to establish some kind of consistency. OEMs? They need to stop thinking they need to pee on the tree to mark their territory... they are trying too hard. Google is banking on the fact that, if really given the choice, people will gravitate to a 'cleaner' version. Now, this seems to have ruffled some feathers a bit. But to be honest, I embrace it with open arms. If there is one thing I've learned from owning Nexus devices (2 5's and a 7), it's that I'm on Google's bandwagon when it comes to what they do with Android.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Post #23 disagrees with you.

Technically, yes, you can use a car without tires (it still has wheels after all). It just would not be a very fun experience.

No. The main purpose of a car is transportation, which can't be done without the tires.
The main purpose of a phone is to make phone calls and send text messages, which can still be done without GApps.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
(sorry for tl;dr post)

And it is about as useful as Android without the Gapps.... you can listen to some music, keep cool on a hot summer day, etc... but you really lose what the car was designed to do. Fact is that without the Google Apps, these phones lose a substantial amount of their functionality. And while there are some people who will load an AOSP-based custom ROM on their phones WITHOUT loading gapps, they are an extremely small (somewhat tinfoil hat wearing) minority. Fact is that the overwhelming majority of people run, and rely, on those Google apps and services.

But like JD said, Google's own version of Android is as close to 'pure' Android as you are going to get. They add functionality without forcing you to deal with a heavily modified UI and layout. Settings, Quick Settings, Notifications, UI look and feel... all that background stuff... they aren't screwing with that. The biggest 'look and feel' change they make is the Google Now Launcher that they throw on Nexus devices. But as far as launchers go, GNL is a really barebones launcher that hooks into Google Now (Google's killer app, IMHO).... but that is just a launcher that you can replace if you like.

..still doesn't mean Pure Google is Pure Android.

Yes, Android is open source and OEMs are free to modify it to suit their own needs. But I think that Google is quite aggravated with how perverse things have gotten. Look at the Galaxy S5. Samsung has basically taken a Ferrari 458 and slapped on a few dozen extra gauges and screens and a 4000lbs trailer on the back. There are millions of smartphone users whose ONLY experience with Android is various iterations of Samsung's abomination. And I find that quite sad.

When people reviewed the Nexus 5... or even the Moto.... they will all, invariably, praise the OS and how much of a breath of fresh air the OS was. Why is it that the Moto X, with relatively underpowered hardware, could perform as well as it did? Motorola didn't sprinkle in some magic processing dust, they just chose not to slow the phone down. When they talk about OEM Android flavors, the best they can come up with is "Well, I guess if you have to pick one, Sense is not that bad". Glowing praise indeed.

So that seems to have emboldened Google to try to 'take Android back' a bit and both improve the experience and try to establish some kind of consistency. OEMs? They need to stop thinking they need to pee on the tree to mark their territory... they are trying too hard. Google is banking on the fact that, if really given the choice, people will gravitate to a 'cleaner' version. Now, this seems to have ruffled some feathers a bit. But to be honest, I embrace it with open arms. If there is one thing I've learned from owning Nexus devices (2 5's and a 7), it's that I'm on Google's bandwagon when it comes to what they do with Android.

People will buy what's marketed to them. Let's be honest. Regular people don't really care about the differences between the AOSP, GNL, TouchWiz, and Sense interfaces. They'll buy what people tell them to buy. They'll buy what they think is "cool". They'll buy into "status".

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
People will buy what's marketed to them. Let's be honest. Regular people don't really care about the differences between the AOSP, GNL, TouchWiz, and Sense interfaces. They'll buy what people tell them to buy. They'll buy what they think is "cool". They'll buy into "status".
Very true! Prime reason I wanted an iPhone so badly before Verizon got the 4! Now, I'm doing what's best for me and what I like regardless of what the rest of my family is doing lol

Regarding the pure Google vs pure Android: I do think they are 2 different things but I definitely prefer Google's interpretation of Android better than any other as I feel it's the closest to what pure Android is supposed to be in my estimation... Simple and accessible!

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
..still doesn't mean Pure Google is Pure Android.

No one is arguing otherwise.

And you are quite right that people buy what is marketed to them. Which is what I think Google is going after. Sure, they have the Nexus line, but they've never really sold it.... sold it the way Samsung sells their Galaxy line.... the way Apple does iPhones. That all might change. And I think they'll have tremendous success. Really no one... not even Apple, can match the brand recognition Google has here in the States and worldwide. If they put that weight behind a product, in earnest, it'll sell. OEMs would be foolish not to try to latch on to that money train.... but what do they value more? Selling phones or slapping their users upside the head with their software?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No one is arguing otherwise.

All I'm saying is that even if you think Pure Google is "close" to Pure Android, it's still not Pure Android. Yes, you like Google's implementation of Android. I'm just saying that there's a difference between that and what Android is at it's core.

And you are quite right that people buy what is marketed to them. Which is what I think Google is going after. Sure, they have the Nexus line, but they've never really sold it.... sold it the way Samsung sells their Galaxy line.... the way Apple does iPhones. That all might change. And I think they'll have tremendous success. Really no one... not even Apple, can match the brand recognition Google has here in the States and worldwide. If they put that weight behind a product, in earnest, it'll sell. OEMs would be foolish not to try to latch on to that money train.... but what do they value more? Selling phones or slapping their users upside the head with their software?

People know Google. They've heard of Android. Most don't know what a Nexus is though.

Despite what analysts say about Apple and now Samsung being in danger, they're both still selling boatloads of devices and making all the hardware money. But guess what? Google is still making money off of their core business - search.

"Stock" Android - as in the "pure Android" interface is NOT a sales driver.

and IMO - Android One is more important than anything Android Silver will ever be.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People know Google. They've heard of Android. Most don't know what a Nexus is though.
And this also happens to be the order in which Google markets.... the Google brand gets the love (Google Play, for instance). Android is getting a little more oomph... and Nexus pretty much got nothing. I have a feeling that this equation will balance out a bit come 2015.
"Stock" Android - as in the "pure Android" interface is NOT a sales driver.
No, it's not. I don't think something like Android Silver is about sales... it's about consistency. OEMs are allllll over the place with Android and people are often quite confused at what they are running. I think Google wants this changed.
and IMO - Android One is more important than anything Android Silver will ever be.
And I agree with you on this 100%..... when I saw this during I/O, I knew exactly it's importance. Everyone started tweaking out over Material Design and L and Wear and TV... whatever.... I saw One for what it was.... Google's big play. They see that emerging markets is a HUGE area for growth. And unlike Apple, who look down their noses at people without the desire or means to overpay for an iPhone, Google sees value in value. Make a series of inexpensive and accessible devices that the developing world can actually afford without giving up a year's salary.... float those internet balloons... mo' money

And, bringing that back on this topic... Those Android One devices rely heavily on "PURE GOOGLE!" ;)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
No. The main purpose of a car is transportation, which can't be done without the tires.
I know for a fact it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElErg-OMshs

It's insane and a waste and very inefficient, but it can be done.

The main purpose of a phone is to make phone calls and send text messages, which can still be done without GApps.
In the same way a car can move without tires. But no one is going to want a car without tires.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
(sorry for tl;dr post)

The main problem with hour post, you can have most yo all apps you need (save for Google Services) by side loading. I can have an Android device and get all my apps from Amazon or some other third party app store.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12