Why Verizon? Is it Cost, Reliability and/or Service? LG G3 variant discussion

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
pocketnow posted LG's G3 variant from US carriers and I'm not surprised (seen it before, just can't remember which phone) they seemed to have done it again. Just read the comments! This is what I posted...

bembol said:
Verizon makes our carriers look like Angels. LOL

They need to get over themselves. Seriously, they have this attitude like "it our way or the highway."

Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile LG G3 versions leaked | Pocketnow

American-LG-G3.jpg

My question is, why Verizon what's so special about them is it the Cost, Reliability and/or Service.

Are they really the "best" in terms of LTE Connection/Speed...that whole map thing commercial?

Do you like what they did with the G3, especially with all their logo in your face or am I just anal? I'm just thankful none of our carriers pull this ****, I can't believe we don't even just carrier Splash Screens at start ups and logos at the back.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They're the best in coverage usually... But it isn't 10p percent the entire time. No carrier is the best everywhere... But majority Verizon is good. They just love to brand their phones.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, Verizon is by far the cheapest, and Best service, and most reliable.

I have unlimited mobile hotspot, and use a lot of it. No other carrier offers unlimited hotspot. Based on my hotspot usage, Verizon is by far the cheapest. Just to point out though, the unlimited hotspot plan is a legacy plan.

Where I am at work, there are spots of no service for att and tmobile, where Verizon has service.

Speed wise, Verizon is typically faster than tmobile where it has 4GLTE, and many times faster when t-mobile drops 4GLTE. And tmobile drops 4GLTE down to 4g and edge in some spots at home and work, and at same spot, Verizon has 4GLTE.

Also I recently took a trip from LA to SJ, and Verizon had 4GLTE about 98% of time. Most of the downtime was in mountainous areas.

While Verizon works out for me, depending on where you are, another carrier can be better.

Logo isn't great but not a deal breaker. My note 2 had the Verizon logo on the home button. Carrier service and reliability, and even pricing ranks much higher than this logo issue, or other non customer friendly policies that Verizon has.

With regards to the 4GLTE coverage , Verizon claims to have more 4GLTE coverage than att, tmobile, and sprint combined. To my knowledge, no one has sued Verizon for making this claim, so it is probably true at this time.

At my desk at work
ymy9e3y6.jpg

ejy9a3yp.jpg

Outside, near my work
yvyta9uj.jpg

yquva8yd.jpg

In the underground concrete parking structure at work, no service on tmobile was able to make a call on Verizon.
4u4u4epy.jpg

jyry4yqa.jpg

In my house downstairs, Verizon held 4GLTE, tmobile down to 4g and edge
yza8a5yv.jpg

emytaqem.jpg

At work at various places

u9e4asuh.jpg

ujaqytub.jpg

4y7umy5e.jpg

yreta3y8.jpg

Near my house, outdoors

u9ubaquv.jpg

ugamazuz.jpg

There was one spot where tmobile did substantially better than Verizon... At the tmobile store

mezu2utu.jpg

esu4u7yq.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It's ironic how much they push their logo on devices, whereas they're pushing it to where the only way you know, at least for the sales reps, that someone works at VZW is there name tag. The newest shirts they're giving out to corporate store employees are solid color polo shirts, with a red VZW check-mark on the left side of the color.

However, it really is all about where you are that determines which network is better. Where I am, VZW has some of the best building penetration, but they are so congested and slow. There is no T-Mobile LTE here, just their 4G HSPA+ 42, but it blows VZW LTE out of the water, at least in my area.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't typically have an issue with their branding on my devices! They aren't the cheapest but they are the best in my experience! I take more issue with the carrier bloat that they jam on devices and the fact that there's no Nexus! 😁

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't typically have an issue with their branding on my devices! They aren't the cheapest but they are the best in my experience! I take more issue with the carrier bloat that they jam on devices and the fact that there's no Nexus! 😁

The nexus 7 works on Verizon.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Wait theres a logo or 2 on my vzw LG g2? Didnt even notice till you all mentioned it. Also vzw doesnt like to be the cool kids they like to distunguse themselves from other carriers. As for G3 so they added some bling and most likely qi charging. Im down with that. You might ask if vzw has built in qi charging from the get go abs att needs a kit to qi to charge is simple. Lg n vzw support the qi standards where as att doesnt support the qi standard.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to a phone! Lol

There's always the gnex. Kidding though. Hopefully with volte around corner, Google can bypass Verizon all together.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If you buy someone else's old unlimited number and outright buy a phone to connect to it, VZW is a fantastic unlimited data carrier. Otherwise it's T-Mo or Sprint now because VZW no longer offers the legacy plan through normal channels by any means...you must buy out an existing number. In my area I have Sprint unlimited for about $50/mo, and it gets the job done with no signal losses. Other parts of the country T-Mo can equal or beat Sprint no problem, Sprint's trying to get Spark up for city coverage but the extra bands are DISABLED on many towers due to ongoing wavelength fights in some areas. A mess!

If you get a current VZW plan it's quite expensive but Share Everything lets you use the data limit however you want which is neat..?. They DO have a great network in many places, but my Sprint plan can roam on most VZW towers (tho I suspect at 3g data speeds). I've made three trips already with the new phone, and on ONE trip there was no Sprint but also no VZW either. That time I locked GSM-only and used an ATT tower from across the lake...

I have heard from others that T-Mo is pretty cheap for them again, and the data coverage is crazy fast in some areas. Nobody seems to really love or recomment AT&T for some reason <_<

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
From this point on I only buy phones that are unlocked. Because of that I will pass on the LG 3. However that is not the issue here its branding. We have enough issues with bloatware and whatnot. So I guess this does not surprise me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you buy someone else's old unlimited number and outright buy a phone to connect to it, VZW is a fantastic unlimited data carrier. Otherwise it's T-Mo or Sprint now because VZW no longer offers the legacy plan through normal channels by any means...you must buy out an existing number. In my area I have Sprint unlimited for about $50/mo, and it gets the job done with no signal losses. Other parts of the country T-Mo can equal or beat Sprint no problem, Sprint's trying to get Spark up for city coverage but the extra bands are DISABLED on many towers due to ongoing wavelength fights in some areas. A mess!

If you get a current VZW plan it's quite expensive but Share Everything lets you use the data limit however you want which is neat..?. They DO have a great network in many places, but my Sprint plan can roam on most VZW towers (tho I suspect at 3g data speeds). I've made three trips already with the new phone, and on ONE trip there was no Sprint but also no VZW either. That time I locked GSM-only and used an ATT tower from across the lake...

I have heard from others that T-Mo is pretty cheap for them again, and the data coverage is crazy fast in some areas. Nobody seems to really love or recomment AT&T for some reason <_<

The legacy Verizon UDP can be used however you want, in tablets or hotspots. It can also be used for unlimited hotspot on smartphones, when selecting the add on option.