Google vs Microsoft, Which Ecosystem?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you drive? Do you own a home? If so consider other ecosystems as well. No new car tech plays well with Windows Phone. A 3k nav system from Toyota is fully functioning with Moto X...its useless with Windows Phone.
This is getting to be a bigger and bigger deal with automakers lining up behind Apple (Mercedes) and Google (Toyota). In most cases Android and IOS are both supported with special apps in their respective stores required to gain full functioning of these expensive infotainment systems.
After the car home automation is next...will your tstat or security system work with WP?...your idea of ecosystem needs to expand beyond games...unless you are a kid who does not drive or own a home or business.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

1.) I do drive

2.) I don't buy new cars with the fancy consoles, the most I have to worry about car wise is does it connect to my cars Bluetooth.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of in crossroads too, considering an Android-phone for the first time ever. I've been pretty much MS-exclusive the last years as you can see in my signature, but now with Nokia disappearing and WP8.1 removing pretty much the biggest reason I got WP in the first place (integrated FB chat), I figured it might be time to try Android cos all MS services are available (and some even better) on Android too.

But that's just the thing, I would still avoid Google-services as much as possible and keep my main ecosystem within MS.

EDIT: Oh, it doesnt show my signature from WPC here. Basically it says that I have a Lumia 920, Xbox One, Surface RT and Windows 8.1 PC. I just recently ordered a Lumia 930 but thinking about just returning that shipment before even opening it and trying to think through if I should try Android for the first time or not.

It is always worth a shot, the worst thing that can happen is you might not like it.

Coreldan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is always worth a shot, the worst thing that can happen is you might not like it.

It's not quite that simple though, I can't just return the phone after I use it for weeks and decide I didnt like it. Selling it away second hand ill make me take a sizable hit in money, too. And I can't really afford changing my phones like I change socks :p

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not quite that simple though, I can't just return the phone after I use it for weeks and decide I didnt like it. Selling it away second hand ill make me take a sizable hit in money, too. And I can't really afford changing my phones like I change socks :p

Not unless you get something cheaper, and with newer Android devices you can definitely sell near or at what you spent. Android devices actually hold more value over time compared to Windows Phone, a 920 can go up to $200, a nexus 4 goes $200-$300. Both came out in the same quarter if I remember correctly.

Coreldan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not unless you get something cheaper, and with newer Android devices you can definitely sell near or at what you spent. Android devices actually hold more value over time compared to Windows Phone, a 920 can go up to $200, a nexus 4 goes $200-$300. Both came out in the same quarter if I remember correctly.

I only go for high end flagships, so I suppose cheaper isn't really an option. :D

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Did something that is pretty much one account for everything, I made my gmail info (email and password) my default Xbox Live account and made my Outlook email forward to my Gmail, so know my gmail is my main account for everything :-D. So now my question is what phone do I get?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
And I have a new plan, I will get the Nvidia Shield Tablet as my gaming device, and sell my Xbox after I get a chance to play COD:AW, so I just need to find a new Android phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm sort of in crossroads too, considering an Android-phone for the first time ever. I've been pretty much MS-exclusive the last years as you can see in my signature, but now with Nokia disappearing and WP8.1 removing pretty much the biggest reason I got WP in the first place (integrated FB chat), I figured it might be time to try Android cos all MS services are available (and some even better) on Android too.
X-Box stuff is probably never coming to Android...at least not as long as MS has it's own separate phone platform.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
X-Box stuff is probably never coming to Android...at least not as long as MS has it's own separate phone platform.

That would be one thing to keep me on Xbox, they need the juicy stuff (Xbox Video and Games) to be cross platform.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think you should just use both google and microsoft. Google is better phone wise than Microsoft, and Microsoft is better with console gaming. I don't see any problem in buying stuff from two stores, especially if you already have bought stuff from both stores.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you should just use both google and microsoft. Google is better phone wise than Microsoft, and Microsoft is better with console gaming. I don't see any problem in buying stuff from two stores, especially if you already have bought stuff from both stores.
Android is more like Windows than WP is anyway. Thats part of the reason I use it. WP is more like an Apple device with a different launcher to me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

True, but I don't want to keep track of where I bought what. A single movie, TV show, games, and apps store would be ideal. That's why I am just going to give up console gaming soon. I rather deal with less gaming than deal with less mobile wise. After I get a crack at COD:AW, I will well my Xbox and it's games to go towards the Nvidia Shield Tablet. For now though, I need to find a new phone.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well it is about that time, the time for me to decide what ecosystem I am going to live in. I know, I know I could possible live in both, but I honestly want one account to handle everything.

I have a couple options here so bear with me! :

1.) Stay with Android, but get rid of Xbox, go to Android gaming exclusively, get a Android TV Console when available, get Chromecast, Moto X and a Nvidia Shield.

2.) Get a Lumia Icon, sell everything Android. Already have Xbox and Windows Convertible.

Now, some things I have considered, I know going all Android and Google leaves me out of console gaming, which can be huge.

Going all with Microsoft, has the drawback of uncertainty with Windows Phone, I may like it or may not. I also lose out on nearly $100 worth of apps and games I have on the PlayStore.

But, I am asking here what should I do? I am at a crossroads and I have been going back and forth for a week, thinking about it.

I won't be leaving the microsoft ecosystem. Even with my new One M8 I will be using Hotmail and Office with Onedrive for storage purposes (I have ridiculous amounts of storage grandfathered in.) Xbox gaming is just shy of dead on Windows Phone so ultimately, you can invest in the Microsoft Ecosystem without ditching your Android phone. My Gmail will be used strictly for app purchases and even then I'm considering taking that aspect to Amazon.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I won't be leaving the microsoft ecosystem. Even with my new One M8 I will be using Hotmail and Office with Onedrive for storage purposes (I have ridiculous amounts of storage grandfathered in.) Xbox gaming is just shy of dead on Windows Phone so ultimately, you can invest in the Microsoft Ecosystem without ditching your Android phone. My Gmail will be used strictly for app purchases and even then I'm considering taking that aspect to Amazon.

I thought about using all Microsoft services on Android hut I recently just switched my main services to third party ones. I use DropBox for storage, PushBullet for desktop Notifications, Feedly for news, Netflix for video, etc. I use the same gmail for all of those, so my services are under one login.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought about using all Microsoft services on Android hut I recently just switched my main services to third party ones. I use DropBox for storage, PushBullet for desktop Notifications, Feedly for news, Netflix for video, etc. I use the same gmail for all of those, so my services are under one login.

So your ecosystem is primarily mobile and gaming? When it comes down to the two. Windows has a good phone OS and a great gaming platform. Android, at present has a good phone OS and the gaming platforms that have arisen are subpar at best. Again, I don't think it has to be one or the other but if I had to choose based on that info, I'd go Microsoft. Though with your preferences, wait til they release the virtual machine to run Android apps.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So your ecosystem is primarily mobile and gaming? When it comes down to the two. Windows has a good phone OS and a great gaming platform. Android, at present has a good phone OS and the gaming platforms that have arisen are subpar at best. Again, I don't think it has to be one or the other but if I had to choose based on that info, I'd go Microsoft. Though with your preferences, wait til they release the virtual machine to run Android apps.

Microsoft is not running Android apps on Windows Phone, that is just a rumor. Even then, they won't be Google Services certified, so I would miss out on Google Apps. So I just may have to go Android everywhere. Also, gaming on Android has vastly improved, take a look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet Hands on from AC, a lot of mobile game exclusives there with plenty of other good games, heck, I even own a few. That's why I am banking on getting the Shield Tablet, it has a console mode, has a controller and has all the ports and connectivity you need. And there is no service I have to pay for.

My only issue now, is I have to deal with Google Plus to use Google Play Games.

blackguard

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
You can use other services on android of course. But if there's no reason you must do this ie. work, the question is whether it would be better to. IMO no. Google's services are so well integrated with android you'd be sacrificing features for your gaming. Google Now, Gmail, Maps, Chrome, Photos, Calender, Drive etc all play very well together and have a ton of crossover capabilities.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat the gaming. I use Sony phones a lot and own a PS3 and I don't even bother using any of Sony's mobile features designed to work with PlayStation, I just enjoy playing games on my console and buy my mobile games from Play Store.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You can use other services on android of course. But if there's no reason you must do this ie. work, the question is whether it would be better to. IMO no. Google's services are so well integrated with android you'd be sacrificing features for your gaming. Google Now, Gmail, Maps, Chrome, Photos, Calender, Drive etc all play very well together and have a ton of crossover capabilities.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat the gaming. I use Sony phones a lot and own a PS3 and I don't even bother using any of Sony's mobile features designed to work with PlayStation, I just enjoy playing games on my console and buy my mobile games from Play Store.

I think my plan my entail the continued use of both for a few more months, though I will give up my Xbox and console gaming before the holidays. I really do want to streamline everything.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think my plan my entail the continued use of both for a few more months, though I will give up my Xbox and console gaming before the holidays. I really do want to streamline everything.
I guess the big question is how much of an impact the nVidia Shield will have on Android gaming. If it gets wildly popular, could spark a wave of more complex titles...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
A895, I don't see a problem with being in both ecosystems. WP's app availability is poor enough that now is not the time to ditch Android. Later maybe, but not now. If I were you I wouldn't forsake your Play Store purchases at the moment.

Even with my new One M8

I must have missed something somewhere. Did hell freeze over? ;)

I will be using Hotmail and Office with Onedrive for storage purposes (I have ridiculous amounts of storage grandfathered in.)

I don't use OneDrive much on my Android because I primarily use Google Drive, but OneDrive is very good. I would certainly use it if I would've started with it. I was on Android when I started using the cloud, so I went to Drive by default. Also, until recently, the collaboration on OneDrive didn't work very well, but has been impeccable on Drive.

OneDrive is more robust on Android than it is on WP in some ways. For example, you can automatically back up full resolution photos. You can't on WP, until WP8.1.