Clean Master Pulled Off App Store, Raises Privacy Concerns

bloodseeker101

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Being a big fan of Clean Master, I download all their latest products and update every patch as soon as possible. My job forces me to keep documents confidential, which is why I make sure my mobile device is protected. However, something that has recently caught my attention was the fact that Clean Master was pulled off the Google Play Store. This raised red flags for me and actually made me panic.

After numerous searches, I was able to find out that Clean Master was pulled off the app store because of privacy issues such as stealing personal info, accessing users’ files, and surveillance issues. I cannot believe that Clean Master would do anything of this nature. All I wanted was a secure and private app that would let me live my private life, but in reality, it did the exact opposite. After doing extensive research, I believe update V4.2.0.832 was when these changes were implemented to steal user data. Below is the changelog.

New changelog:
What's New
V4.2.0.832
Version 4.2 contains new features that will require extra permissions for Clean Master on update e.g. camera permission is needed for the flashlight.
1. Added antivirus engine to protect device security.
2. New floating widget - handle memory, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. in a single tap.
3. Added notifications shortcuts - access frequent apps like flashlight more conveniently.
4. Optimized browser history cleaning.
5. New permissions of Camera, Bluetooth and Network Communication.

After installing the patch, many users complain of significantly reduced battery life and that Clean Master was keeping their devices awake for ridiculous amounts of time. They contacted Clean Master and the reply that they got was “Sorry for that, we developed this version with the function of running in the background, aiming to clean your cell well and truly.” That sounds really suspicious…

All I can hope for is that my files aren’t being shared across the internet or that it was a false alarm. But from what I can see now, it does not seem like it was a false alarm due to the fact that it has already been a month since Clean Master was on the Google Play Store. Please warn your friends and family about Clean Master, nobody likes being watched 24/7. :eek:

NOTE: I posted this on Reddit too. Help get the word out. This is a serious issue.

bloodseeker101

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi! It was on the Top Charts for Google Play for the longest time, and then I suddenly noticed that it was gone from the top charts! Making it hard to find.

[NEW]f55c31752cb28e20b00c36cc5d388b3c.jpg
This is the Top Charts for today, it used to be on there constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have to keep files for work confidential I would talk to your work IT... They should have things in place to help secure and lock down your phone in accordance with your companies policy.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Even if the rumor is false I got rid of it a while back because it's basically turned into bloatware now. I just clean my phone manually, it's not that much to do

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
What's a good replacement?

Posted via Android Central App
IMO? None. I clean my app cache myself in settings, occasionally delete obsolete thumbnails myself using my file manager, and whenever I uninstall an app I get rid of folders they sometimes leave behind myself. I don't like apps that automate these things because most of the better ones run background services and I just don't find them necessary.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What's a good replacement?

History Eraser. I have been using that app since 2011 with my Samsung Gem.

That is scary, I used Clean Master for a while. It got to bloated for my tastes and I went back to History Eraser.

Last edited by a moderator:

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Use to use clean master on a HTC one V, I could only assume it was cleaning the device; but having the app on the phone made the phone perform slowly. I do not have the app now but performance wise is like night and day without the app running in the background.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Well that basically explains my horrible battery life lately. My phone also has felt a little sluggish after updating it.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

RZR666

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded this again the other day, I felt it seemed less intrusive when it was simpler but the UI update is nice and sleek. Still doesn't help my Galaxy S3 which is so slow these days.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded this again the other day, I felt it seemed less intrusive when it was simpler but the UI update is nice and sleek. Still doesn't help my Galaxy S3 which is so slow these days.

Might want to try History Eraser and if that does not help, clear cache partition. And if that won't work, it may be time for a factory reset.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
All-In-One Toolbox works quite well. I use the "one-key-clean" once a day. It works well and you only install what you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I see Clean Master is back in the Playstore. What gives here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app