08-17-2014 10:24 AM
34 12
tools
    How long do you get out of a full battery charge on the Nexus 5? Of course it depends on your usage, but from what I have read, not a full day if you are actually using the phone.
    Depends on what you mean by "actually using". If you mean gaming, no, it will not last more than a few hours. The Nexus will not do well for marathon gaming sessions. If you mean listening to MP3s and making phone calls, yes, it will last well over a full day. If you mean occasional web browsing and texting and phone calls, it will last a full day as well.

Different people have different definitions of "real use". Mine will last a full day, unless I am using my wifi tether app. If I am using it for texting and web browsing and MP3s and reading, I can go 12 hours pretty easy. I typically have my screen brightness at 100%, I never turn off LTE (and never use Wifi), and I often use bluetooth.

Anandtech's results are pretty consistent with my experience.

08-13-2014 03:04 PM
    Try the XiaoMi brand, it's from China and quite cheap with high end specs. The price is around $200-$300, unlocked but a bit hard to get.
    08-13-2014 09:54 PM
    How necessary is 4G? I regularly have access to decent wifi. I don't need super fast download speeds. I mostly want to be able to receive/send email, check Moodle for class updates and maybe browse the web.

About XiaoMi--do they update their phones?
    08-14-2014 10:03 PM
    How necessary is 4G?
    it is indispensable for me to browse the web on verizon b/c their 3G speeds are horrible. On TMobile and ATT they have HSPA+ speeds on 3G, which is much faster than verizon's old skool 3G speeds.

3G on verizon is unusable for web surfing or accessing anything online other than email and even then not attachments.
    08-14-2014 10:55 PM
    it is indispensable for me to browse the web on verizon b/c their 3G speeds are horrible. On TMobile and ATT they have HSPA+ speeds on 3G, which is much faster than verizon's old skool 3G speeds.

3G on verizon is unusable for web surfing or accessing anything online other than email and even then not attachments.
    I won't be going with Verizon. I'll be using Cricket or another prepaid GSM provider. Cricket is owned by and uses the towers of AT&T.
    08-15-2014 12:16 AM
    Cricket is owned by and uses the towers of AT&T.
    ATT's HSPA+ network has decent speeds. So whatever phone you get make sure it can at least access ATT's HSPA+ network. However, as with all networks, you get slower speeds if the network is congested.
    08-15-2014 10:35 AM
    And if you are using a reseller... research to see if they even allow LTE speeds. Many are still at H+ as the fastest.
    08-16-2014 10:23 AM
    I'm not even sure if there's 4G coverage where I live. I think it's just 3G.
    08-16-2014 10:54 AM
    So if the reseller you use and the area you live in are only going to offer 3G/H+, you can save some $$$ by not insisting on LTE.
    08-17-2014 10:24 AM
34 12