Not sure which phone to get...

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm finally moving into the world of smartphones. I want an android, obviously. I'm going no-contract, so it also needs to be unlocked GSM.

I don't need a super fancy phone. I'm obviously paying the full price of the phone, so I'd like to keep it to $250ish. I want access to decent protective cases and the like. A good camera is a nice bonus, but not something I'll pay extra for. I want at east 32GB of storage (external is okay). I'm not really into the super graphics-heavy games, but I do like Plague Inc and I stream video a lot.

I'm looking at the Moto G, but I'm wondering if the Moto E will be adequate. I also like the Blu Life One but I'm a bit concerned about buying from a less well-known company. I also can't figure out what size sim card it takes.

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's a side-by-side comparison of the Moto E, 1st gen Moto G, and 2nd gen Moto G (with 4G LTE): Motorola Moto E vs Motorola Moto G vs Motorola Moto G LTE - Phone specs comparison

If I were you, I'd go with the 16 GB 1st gen Moto G. Performance will be better than the E. Other downsides of the E include low internal storage (only 4 GB, which will be important if you plan on installing a lot of apps--not just games) and no HD video recording. The Moto G 4G LTE would be ideal, since it can access LTE for faster mobile internet, and it also has an external SD slot, but it only has 8 GB of internal storage--which is certainly better than 4, but you could still find yourself running out of room for apps, compared to a 16 GB phone.

Remember that the internal storage is key for app installation--you can't install apps onto an external SD card. See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

I'd avoid the Blu phones altogether. They may be cheap, but support may be questionable.

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty new to androids (I have an 4th gen ipod touch I'm less than enchanted with) so thanks for that information! I have a lot of music/audiobooks so I mostly need room for those. I also like to have a movie or a tv show on hand if I'm stuck somewhere without wifi. I have a 32 gb ipod, and there's 15.9 gb available. Though now I'm looking, I honestly don't use most of the apps.

I'm not by any means set on a motorola, so if there are other good phones in my price range please let me know!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's also important to know if you're looking to purchase an unlocked phone outright and then take it to whichever wireless service you prefer (which is what you can do with the Moto G if you buy it directly from Motorola), or if you're ok with the traditionally subsidized phones sold through the wireless stores (i.e., the $200 flagship phone that requires a 2 year contract).

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
It needs to be unlocked. I don't want to be locked into a contract I can't afford. I'd prefer GSM.

ETA: I'm also willing to spend a bit more than $250 to get a really good phone. I just found the Huawei Ascend Mate 2. It only has 241 ppi, which is lower than the Moto G, but is it going to noticeably impact my viewing?

Acantha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X is absolutely beautiful, but it is a little more than I'm willing to spend. The Moto G sounds like a great phone, and I think I'll get that.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm finally moving into the world of smartphones. I want an android, obviously. I'm going no-contract, so it also needs to be unlocked GSM.

I don't need a super fancy phone. I'm obviously paying the full price of the phone, so I'd like to keep it to $250ish. I want access to decent protective cases and the like. A good camera is a nice bonus, but not something I'll pay extra for. I want at east 32GB of storage (external is okay). I'm not really into the super graphics-heavy games, but I do like Plague Inc and I stream video a lot.

I'm looking at the Moto G, but I'm wondering if the Moto E will be adequate. I also like the Blu Life One but I'm a bit concerned about buying from a less well-known company. I also can't figure out what size sim card it takes.
In that price range I would probably get a Moto G LTE (the only "modern" Moto Phone to have SD support). But for $50 more you could get a Nexus 5 which is significantly better.

But the Moto G is a great phone, especially if you are not married to a good camera. I would not go to the Moto E unless you are on an extremely tight budget.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Moto e with a 32GB all the way. it have stock ota androif updates from google and very fast abd cheap only 129 and a 10$ 32GB sd card!