Smartphone vs. Laptop

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Has you smartphone replaced your Laptop? With all the apps available it seems that the smartphone is the current way to.

What do you think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Smartphone .vs. Laptop

For me, no. My smartphone is more active when I am out and about. I am on my Chromebook more when I am at home.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

No really, the only reason why I don't have a MacBook Air/Pro is the lack of LTE support. I hate Tethering and going out of my way to get Wi-Fi (Starbucks). This is why I bought an LTE iPad Air.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Has you smartphone replaced your Laptop? With all the apps available it seems that the smartphone is the current way to.

For me, no. My smartphone is more active when I am out and about. I am on my Chromebook more when I am at home.

No, like Golfdriver my smartphone is for mobile use only. It can't hold a candle* to my iMacs and MacBooks when I'm at home, work, or otherwise stationary.

*processing power, screen size, keyboard convenience, storage space, etc. etc.

When, for some reason, I need to use my phone when I'm on one of my iMacs or MacBooks I run my phone's interface on that iMac or MacBook (Teamviewer) because of the comfortable large screen size and full size physical keyboard.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

No, like Golfdriver my smartphone is for mobile use only. It can't hold a candle* to my iMacs and MacBooks when I'm at home, work, or otherwise stationary.

*processing power, screen size, keyboard convenience, storage space, etc. etc.

When, for some reason, I need to use my phone when I'm on one of my iMacs or MacBooks I run my phone's interface on that iMac or MacBook because of the comfortable screen size and full size physical keyboard.

For me, it also depends on what I am doing. If someone on the forums needs help, depending on my reply, sometimes it's easier on mobile, sometimes much easier on a laptop/desktop.
For example, say I take a complex question about rooting/ROMing. At home, I can cast the video to my TV, ask a few guys on Hangouts, look up other root methods on various sites, and keep the original question all on the same screen, all through different tabs. Yes, this can be done on mobile too, but while the steps are the same, it seems to take longer.

However, on mobile, it is easier to track my replies and threads. So replying with a simple yes or no, it is just as easy on mobile as it is on the desktop.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, pretty much. I only use my laptop for my classes. Once I find an app to make PowerPoints I'll probably sell it.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

My phone has not replaced my laptop, it is not that it is incapable of being replaced; I just like how my phone and my laptop can work together at times.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I definitely use my laptop less now. All easy stuff I use my phone or tablet for. My laptop is for school, work, and occasionally some other clean up stuff that's easier to do in that format. I can't imagine having no laptop at all but it's going to last me longer than ever before.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

DeadMoneyDrew

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

I use both my laptop and my desktop less, but there are specific functions that each perform superbly in comparison to a smartphone. Until the day comes that somebody builds a smart phone that is big enough for a big, oafish klutz like myself to use for work without going blind, I expect this to remain the case.

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I use the phone because it's not tied down to one spot, and I can fit in a (fairly large) pocket. But the art apps for the phones are pretty sux0r, and that's before I even get to the 3D work I've been doing the last year or so. Some of those nightmarish codeballs barely run on my desktop machine.

And I get annoyed fast at how slow I have to type on this thing. Can't type 200 wpm on a keyboard almost too small for my fingertips and not even as much tactile feedback as a (piece of crap) membrane keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

What do you think?

No way. My tablet has kinda replaced a laptop for web browsing. But you can't really use a smartphone for stuff you'd use a laptop for (spreadsheets, word processing, photoshop, ect..). A smartphone might be able to do it, but it won't do it well.

That being said, a desktop PC + smartphone is better than a Desktop PC+Laptop in general. More versatile. If you're on a budget, I'd do Laptop+smartphone.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

But tablets with video calling can replace 80% of the physical trips to the doctor/hospital/caregivers for the elderly! BIG improvement!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Well, I do use my phone a bit more than my laptop, but at home I use my rMBP when browsing the forums. I can reply a lot faster and looking for threads is a bit easier. That and some stuff is just not ideal on mobile sites.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I primarily use my laptop for syncing music to my iPod and downloading files. My ipad has served me well to replace my laptop for web browsing. Now, once school starts in a couple weeks I'm sure that'll all change.

Posted via the Android Central App

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Yep, smartphones and tablets are best suited to media consumption, communication, and entertainment. On-the-go. For real productivity and creativity, and serious sit-down work in general, however, you still need a real laptop (not chromebooks or similar castrated concepts) or desktop PC. They are definitely not equal. For starters the hardware specs and software concepts and configurations of both 'classes' of digital tech for the masses are way different.
The big advantage of smartphones and tablets is of course their mobility. So smartphones and tablets on the one hand and laptops and desktops on the other simply have different applications. Therefore no comparison can ever be fair.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm a software engineer, phones and tablets are useless for a lot of what I do... They are toys for leisure and keeping in touch when I am out and about.

And nothing beats a keyboard and mouse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac