Should The 64 Bit Tegra K1 make me feel bad?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 5 just recently and have really loved using the device. I know that the hardware isn't the newest but Snapdragon 801 and 805 aren't really very huge improvements, so that's okay.

Snapdragon 800 is still a very capable SOC and is really everything Android needs to function smoothly. I read some news about the 64 bit Tegra K1 and did some more research.

The Tegra K1 64 bit edition absolutely crushes every single processor out there right now for mobiles and tablets, even at 4K it managed to score 2X higher in benchmarks.

I am not the kind of guy that plays a lot of graphically intensive games, what does the Tegra K1 mean for me, has the Snapdragon 800 become very very outdated? Or do you think Tegra K1 won't really catch on?

If You Want My Continued Support On This Forum, Please Leave a Thumbs Up!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Kinda? I mean you're not married to the nexus, and even if you were she's not going to be offended if you admire other devices... just don't play with them... right?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To me it's just like anything else in technology... There will always be a bigger and better piece of hardware around the corner.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No, you shouldn't feel bad. Yes, it's more powerful, but no phone at the moment has that SOC. Like you said, the 801 and 805 aren't huge improvements so it's not really outdated in terms of performance.
Your phone isn't going to perform any worse when newer CPUs come out. I have a phone with a SD600 and I don't feel bad...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not the kind of guy that plays a lot of graphically intensive games, what does the Tegra K1 mean for me, has the Snapdragon 800 become very very outdated? Or do you think Tegra K1 won't really catch on?

If you don't play games, you won't care about the K1. The K1 is a really big deal, but only for games. It is certainly not a big deal for phones IMO.

If you are wanting "the best", you will never have it. Specs in the Android world move fast. There is always going to be something better around the corner. "The best" changes every 3 or 6 months.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
There are many jumps in technology as time goes on. I think that the jump to 64 bit will be a big one, but at the same time I think the first generation of devices will lack balance and refinement. I'd say if you want to make the jump wait until manufacturers are up there second device using 64 bit hardware. Your nexus 5 should Last just about that long before it is completely obsolete anyways.

To elaborate a little, I jumped in and bought an HTC Thunderbolt as soon as Verizon went to LTE. While that device did serve me well it was very buggy and the power consumed by the LTE radio made the battery life probably the worst of any modern smartphone ever. If I would have waited for the next gen choices I would have been choosing between an HTC Rezound, Nexus 4 and a Droid Bionic. If I had a crystal ball I would have been happiest jumping into LTE with a nexus or waiting a little longer for an S3 or DNA. The initial offerings however were The Thunderbolt and the droid Charge. Both terrible devices from the standpoint of longevity.
Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
There are many jumps in technology as time goes on. I think that the jump to 64 bit will be a big one, but at the same time I think the first generation of devices will lack balance and refinement. I'd say if you want to make the jump wait until manufacturers are up there second device using 64 bit hardware. Your nexus 5 should Last just about that long before it is completely obsolete anyways.

To elaborate a little, I jumped in and bought an HTC Thunderbolt as soon as Verizon went to LTE. While that device did serve me well it was very buggy and the power consumed by the LTE radio made the battery life probably the worst of any modern smartphone ever. If I would have waited for the next gen choices I would have been choosing between an HTC Rezound, Nexus 4 and a Droid Bionic. If I had a crystal ball I would have been happiest jumping into LTE with a nexus or waiting a little longer for an S3 or DNA. The initial offerings however were The Thunderbolt and the droid Charge. Both terrible devices from the standpoint of longevity.

The Nexus 4 didn't have LTE. It had HSPA+, which is like a really fast 3G. The Nexus 5 was the first Nexus with 4G/LTE.

That being said, I had both that and a Rezound. I liked the Nexus 4 better overall (wireless charging, better updates, curved display, soft-button NAV). MUCH faster/smoother experience (even today, with a good KitKat Rom, the Rezound is just not as fast, while the Nexus 4 feels every bit as fast as my Nexus 5 now). The Rezound probably had a better camera though, and had real LTE..and had SD and a removable battery. The Rezound did have some light bleed when the capacitive buttons were on; the Nexus 4 display glass was "thinner", probably because it was IPS. The Rezound was the first 720p phone though.

To this day I find nothing special about the Bionic. It had a bright display (at the cost of quality), but thats about it. The Rezound camera just destroyed the Bionic.

I definitely would have preferred a Nexus 4 to the Galaxy S3, despite the fact that the S3 is a great phone. The S3 will never (ever) see Android L, but the Nexus 4 probably will.

PS - I trashed the Galaxy Nexus early on, but it probably turned out to be the best phone of it's generation for longevity. Unlike the Rezound, it is FAST with a KitKat ROM. Almost Nexus 4/5 levels. It's only real weakness was it's crappy (relative to the Rezound) camera.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The bionic was special because Motorola developed there own lte radio that used less power. It was also the first dual core phone. Keep in mind I am with Verizon so my past experience is only accurate for the evolution of Verizon devices.

Maybe I got the name wrong but the curved glass nexus that was released on "Verizon" definitely was 4G.

My real point was that first Gen devices to have a major shift in hardware are risky. I wonder how 64 bit hardware will impact battery life? I wonder how many bugs won't get caught as manufacturers rush to get their devices out there before someone else takes their market share?

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Toro had a curved display and supported LTE on day 1. The GSM Galaxy Nexus did not. I'm not sure if the Sprint version did or not, but it didn't matter because Sprint was horrible. The Toro also was the first device with proper buttons.

strecker1969

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Jetson TK1 board, and it runs faster than my i7 laptop in most tasks. For example, Libre Office starts in under 1s cold, and it multitasks very well. I am running it at 1080p with desktop compositing on KDE. Chromium runs great too.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for... Unless someone figures away to greatly increase battery capacity, a phone with a Tegra is going to consume a charge in no time.

The 800/801 are still quite good... Don't stress

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My real point was that first Gen devices to have a major shift in hardware are risky. I wonder how 64 bit hardware will impact battery life? I wonder how many bugs won't get caught as manufacturers rush to get their devices out there before someone else takes their market share?

Until someone demonstrates why I should care about 64-bit hardware, I am not going to care about 64-bit hardware. Except for gaming, I see no applications for it in the foreseeable future.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Until someone demonstrates why I should care about 64-bit hardware, I am not going to care about 64-bit hardware. Except for gaming, I see no applications for it in the foreseeable future.

Hell... even on Windows desktops, which have been 64bit since the release of Windows 7, apps are mostly still 32bit. Where is the incentive? Going 64 bit was FAR more important for desktop/server class operating systems due to limitations of 32bit stuff (that 4GB RAM limit is a killer).... but on the application side, consumer applications, not server class stuff, those run perfectly fine as 32bit apps on a 64bit OS.

Mobile apps are more simple than desktop apps and it isn't like someone is going to run an enterprise database on their Note 4 (5, or whatever might go 64).... so there really isn't much of a need to worry about 64... even gaming, unless you start talking about using phones/tablets to drive full sized TVs, 64bit games aren't really needed either.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Haha thanks guys you guys really comforted me, I was going to keep the Nexus 5 for 1.5 or 2 years and I hope it still runs things smoothly then.

But seriously thanks a lot you guys are awesome!

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The bionic was special because Motorola developed there own lte radio that used less power. It was also the first dual core phone. Keep in mind I am with Verizon so my past experience is only accurate for the evolution of Verizon devices.

Maybe I got the name wrong but the curved glass nexus that was released on "Verizon" definitely was 4G.

LOL your talking about the galaxy nexus 4g ;) but there was a nexus s 4G as well so
He was kinda wrong. ;)

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 5 just recently and have really loved using the device. I know that the hardware isn't the newest but Snapdragon 801 and 805 aren't really very huge improvements, so that's okay.

Snapdragon 800 is still a very capable SOC and is really everything Android needs to function smoothly. I read some news about the 64 bit Tegra K1 and did some more research.

The Tegra K1 64 bit edition absolutely crushes every single processor out there right now for mobiles and tablets, even at 4K it managed to score 2X higher in benchmarks.

No in 1.5 to 2 years it will still be updated ;)
So be happy about your nexus 5 ;)

Even my galaxy nexus runs FAST! i installed shinyROM though.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
No in 1.5 to 2 years it will still be updated ;)
So be happy about your nexus 5 ;)

Even my galaxy nexus runs FAST! i installed shinyROM though.

The power of Custom ROMs, I know about that all too well.

I used to have a phone called HTC Explorer(Pico) about an year ago and the phone launched with Android 2.3 with very weak hardware.

But developers managed to get stable Android 4.4 on it and it was like 10x faster than Stock.

I'll install a Custom ROM on my Nexus 5 as soon as the official updates stop coming.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The power of Custom ROMs, I know about that all too well.

I used to have a phone called HTC Explorer(Pico) about an year ago and the phone launched with Android 2.3 with very weak hardware.

But developers managed to get stable Android 4.4 on it and it was like 10x faster than Stock.

I'll install a Custom ROM on my Nexus 5 as soon as the official updates stop coming.

Nice seems like you know everything you need!

And the snapdragon 800 is Still one of the best chipsets ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey