Why is go launcher so popular

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't used to be full of bloat. That happened after it got popular.

It's mostly popular in 3rd world countries. I don't remember the last time I saw anyone using in the US.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
It's popular because it's free like with many other go team apps. You get a complete app with all the features as promise, you just have to put up with the ads. I have tried it a few times, never really like it, I think it's the childish cartoon liked themes that may have put me off. As far as the customization went, it had about the same if not more than some of the ics based launchers such as nova and apex, but not as smooth in the way it ran in general. It's a real resource hog. I'm currently using another go team product next 3D launcher, but that's for another disscusion.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It's popular because it's free like with many other go team apps. You get a complete app with all the features as promise, you just have to put up with the ads. I have tried it a few times, never really like it, I think it's the childish cartoon liked themes that may have put me off. As far as the customization went, it had about the same if not more than some of the ics based launchers such as nova and apex, but not as smooth in the way it ran in general. It's a real resource hog. I'm currently using another go team product next 3D launcher, but that's for another disscusion.

All of the major launchers are free, including Nova Launcher. And have been for years I think.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en&token=umXHImEt

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Most all other launchers are free, with a paid Pro or Prime version. GO launcher is free, but looks to have in app purchases, which may be to offer some of the more advanced features, just like Nova. I don't use Go, so can't say for sure - if someone uses it could you confirm?

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
All of the major launchers are free, including Nova Launcher. And have been for years I think.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en&token=BOD36ext

Technically they are only half free since you have to pay to get the premium, which gives you all the more advance functions. Go gives you the whole launcher at once, but you do have to watch the ads. Go ex is somthing else entirely, but that's not what we are talking about here.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Technically they are only half free since you have to pay to get the premium
I paid for all of them. I am here to tell you they are perfectly usable without paying for them...all key features are unlocked. The main perks you get by paying are things like different screen transitions. The free version of Nova Launcher is better than the GEL launcher that comes with the Nexus 5 IMO.

There are no important functions that are not in the free versions IMO.

Go is awful. Back when I had a Droid 1 and Gingerbread it was acceptable, but it is just insanely cluttered now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is why Action Launcher is the best.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2220.jpg
    2220.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 24

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm very happy with Nova Prime, but almost 2.5 million 5 star ratings for GO Launcher is saying something. That's ten times the number of 5 stars for Nova and thirty times that for Apex.

Perhaps it is telling us you don't have to be good to be successful, just popular.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with Nova Prime, but almost 2.5 million 5 star ratings for GO Launcher is saying something. That's ten times the number of 5 stars for Nova and thirty times that for Apex.

Perhaps it is telling us you don't have to be good to be successful, just popular.

Go Launcher is older than both of those so of course it will have more ratings.

Posted via the Android Central App

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've tried every launcher I could get my hands on, Go lasted a day. Apex and Nova are fine in their base configurations and in fact when in day to day use I can't tell them apart. 99% of people won't need to buy premium versions because there are no ads in them and all the functions most anyone wants are there. I bought them because the coders did a good job and deserve to be paid. I can afford a few bucks to support good work.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I used go for a while a couple years ago. It was full featured and had easy access to free themes. Then I started to feel like they were forcing the whole Go experience with Go apps to replace everything on my phone. Then it felt like one big ad for in app purchase of all things Go. Went to holo for a whole then found Apex.

Apex free gives you pretty much all the features of Nova paid. But Nova introduced some more IcS/jelly bean features and I now use Nova prime and haven't looked back. Tried aviate and a fee others but I missed the freedom of Nova customization.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey, 5 million plus downloads can't be wrong. The reason go launcher is so popular is at some point in an android user's life, he or she is going to try go launcher just to see what all the fuss is about. And that downloading statistic makes go launcher sounds more popular than it really is. I switch back and forth between APEX, nova, holo,and next 3d. Currently next 3d is my default launcher. The eye candy is one of the best thing about next 3D. IMO, next 3d was published way before its time; it came out during the times that average android couldn't run it without lagging. Now with my new phone, man, just forget about it.

Sent "from my LG-E980 using Reappraisal pov pubs sss

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01