Who is To Blame for giant phones?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Who do I have to blame for the lack of powerful smart phones under 5 inches? I have been fighting day and night from the little voice in the back of my head saying: "Get an iPhone". I love Android, I will be the first to admit, hell, I went through high school and now into college with an Android phone.

But in all that time, I always had an all around good device, I can't ever say I ever had an awful smartphone. But in all that time, the biggest smartphone I ever owned is the Moto X. And now that I am back on my RAZR M I realize now besides the Moto X there is absolutely zero widespread availability of a smartphone in the 4-4.7 range.

Why is that? Why is the smaller handset market getting ignored? Why do we have to settle for middle the road devices like the S5 mini or the One Mini 2? Why can't I have a phone just like the G3 in a smaller package?

And no, the answer is not "There is no demand for it", there is demand for it, they just haven't attempted it yet. How many people buy iPhones? How many of those people might have been swayed by a flagship Android device of the same size? I know I would have.

Why do I have to settle in saving up money to get a year old Moto X? Android has gained a lot in the past year, but I hope they don't lose people like me to other OS's.

Who do I blame for this injustice? OEMs? Carriers? Consumers?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who is To Blame?

I'd imagine that there are size constraints in the technology, whether it be the physical space that the components take up or the scaling of cost of higher resolution displays in a smaller form factor, etc.

That being said, are you looking for a specific screen size or a form factor size? For example, in another thread I showed that a 5" screen could fit in a device barely bigger than a Moto X. Also, the 5.0 HTC One M8, 5.5 LG G3 and 5.1" Galaxy S5 are all very similar form factors. The Note II and LG G3 are the same size screen, but the LG G3 is significantly smaller (in height, length, thickness and weight).

A +/- 1/2" distance change without changing form factor (much) means a 4.0" and 5.0" device could be in a very similar body and that makes me wonder if we want small devices with the largest screen possible or if it's screen size that's wanted (for touching everything on the screen, for example) and then we want to minimize the footprint of that.

Another example is the Moto X at 4.7" is physically smaller than the Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7" screen, the HTC One (by A LOT) which was 4.7", the Droid Razr Maxx HD at 4.7" and it's quite a bit smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.65" (both thinner and shorter). Its also smaller than the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, which had a 4.5" screen.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I'd imagine that there are size constraints in the technology, whether it be the physical space that the components take up or the scaling of cost of higher resolution displays in a smaller form factor, etc.

That being said, are you looking for a specific screen size or a form factor size? For example, in another thread I showed that a 5" screen could fit in a device barely bigger than a Moto X. Also, the 5.0 HTC One M8, 5.5 LG G3 and 5.1" Galaxy S5 are all very similar form factors. The Note II and LG G3 are the same size screen, but the LG G3 is significantly smaller (in height, length, thickness and weight).

A +/- 1/2" distance change without changing form factor (much) means a 4.0" and 5.0" device could be in a very similar body and that makes me wonder if we want small devices with the largest screen possible or if it's screen size that's wanted (for touching everything on the screen, for example) and then we want to minimize the footprint of that.

Another example is the Moto X at 4.7" is physically smaller than the Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7" screen, the HTC One (by A LOT) which was 4.7", the Droid Razr Maxx HD at 4.7" and it's quite a bit smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.65" (both thinner and shorter). Its also smaller than the Samsung Epic 4G Touch, which had a 4.5" screen.

I guess I should I have been more clear, I am looking for a better form factor and screen size. The Moto X had a 4.7 inch screen yet was slightly bigger than an iPhone. Not only that, it wasn't thick. That is what makes it such a great form factor.

The tech itself, I fins it hard to believe has size constraints, I mean the iPhone 5s has one of the most powerful GPUs in smart phones yet is so thin and small, I think this is a conscious decisions on part of the manufacturers to go with the "Big and powerful" adage when that is the least most attractive thing about smartphones that aren't an iPhone now.

Posted via the Android Central App

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
They make big phones because that's where the majority of the market is, and that means money
Do I think there's a market for smaller phones with the same power as their bigger counterparts? Yes I do, but there's less money to be made there
I'm thinking that the companies would rather make one phone to satisfy 80% of the market, then make two phones to try to satisfy that last 20% that won't get a huge phone

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
me and all the other people who buy large phones because we like a large screen we can actually read.

Actually read? I don't think that is an answer. There were smaller phones before the Note.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They make big phones because that's where the majority of the market is, and that means money
Do I think there's a market for smaller phones with the same power as their bigger counterparts? Yes I do, but there's less money to be made there
I'm thinking that the companies would rather make one phone to satisfy 80% of the market, then make two phones to try to satisfy that last 20% that won't get a huge phone

That isn't true at all, again explain why the iPhone despite size has power and still is small? You and both know this goes along the lines of planned obsolescence. They make bigger phones, consumer have no choice to buy bigger phones that run Android. They also run on "Bigger is better" when that is not the case.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone is small, because there is a market for it and iPhone users are used to it and besides
Why is apple about to make a 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPhone 6? Because that's where the money is!

Vee_G

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I, for one, am holding on to my S3 phone for dear life because I refuse to get myself a 5" phone. I will hold on to this phone and wait for something that is 4.5-4.7

Posted via Android Central App

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I, for one, am holding on to my S3 phone for dear life because I refuse to get myself a 5" phone. I will hold on to this phone and wait for something that is 4.5-4.7

Posted via Android Central App

Have you looked at the Moto x?

Fried Rice Mofo

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That isn't true at all, again explain why the iPhone despite size has power and still is small? You and both know this goes along the lines of planned obsolescence. They make bigger phones, consumer have no choice to buy bigger phones that run Android. They also run on "Bigger is better" when that is not the case.

IPhones don't have the latest and greatest when it comes to processing power, soc, BATTERY, etc. The 5s was a dual-core chip, while the SGS4 was a quad-core.

What Apple is very good at is taking smaller, less powerful internals and getting the maximum output through software and other patented methods. It's why they have had an 8MP camera for years, and it still takes quality photos. It's why their phones are still at the "top of the line" for consumer usage.

Flagship Android phones are more "powerful" than a iPhone of the same year, in almost every way. But for several reasons, they don't have the efficiency marks that Apple is constantly able to hit.

We'll probably see that change with the iPhone 6. I expect the screen on the 4.7 to have a higher pixel density, whereas the 5.5 will be more powerful. It will have a bigger battery than the 4.7, and therefore it'll be a more appropriate media device, ala a G3 or M8.

And that brings me to the crucial point; Apple has finally admitted that the modern smartphone is much more than a device to call/text/surf the web with. Android's rise in popularity was enabled because people were allowed to have everything in one unit. Communications, gaming, GPS, Internet, entertainment, etc.

Where Apple is smart is they decided to go with both markets (power, bigger device/efficient, smaller), and see where they end up. One of the factors behind this is they can afford it. Samsung is releasing the Alpha because they can afford to have 3 high-end phones running in the sane fiscal year. Companies like Motorola and HTC, however, cannot really afford a loss at this point. Having two (or more) flagships running concurrently will cannibalize sales, and they need a home run.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

The trend in phone sizes is the result of consumer preferences learned through market research. People who now want phones that are sub-5" are in the minority. After all that Steve Jobs said about the perfect size of a smartphone, there's no way Apple would be developing a bigger iPhone if the market research didn't indicate a new, larger sweet spot for smartphones. If you want to blame anyone, blame consumers.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't read any of those screens. If you were blessed with great eyes, that's great. Lots of us weren't.

I wasn't either, why would you assume so? I have a stigmatism in both my eyes as a matter of fact, the fact is a smaller form factor for smartphones is useful in everyday situations than larger devices also add to the fact a more hand friendly form factor can be handled no matter what you are doing and I have smaller hands that larger devices are off the table for me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is small, because there is a market for it and iPhone users are used to it and besides
Why is apple about to make a 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPhone 6? Because that's where the money is!

That's where the money is? Apple makes the most money than anyone from smatphones, maybe they are doing it because it is a natural progression and FYI, I am pretty sure the 5.5. inch iPhone rumor was debunked.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
IPhones don't have the latest and greatest when it comes to processing power, soc, BATTERY, etc. The 5s was a dual-core chip, while the SGS4 was a quad-core.

What Apple is very good at is taking smaller, less powerful internals and getting the maximum output through software and other patented methods. It's why they have had an 8MP camera for years, and it still takes quality photos. It's why their phones are still at the "top of the line" for consumer usage.

Flagship Android phones are more "powerful" than a iPhone of the same year, in almost every way. But for several reasons, they don't have the efficiency marks that Apple is constantly able to hit.

We'll probably see that change with the iPhone 6. I expect the screen on the 4.7 to have a higher pixel density, whereas the 5.5 will be more powerful. It will have a bigger battery than the 4.7, and therefore it'll be a more appropriate media device, ala a G3 or M8.

And that brings me to the crucial point; Apple has finally admitted that the modern smartphone is much more than a device to call/text/surf the web with. Android's rise in popularity was enabled because people were allowed to have everything in one unit. Communications, gaming, GPS, Internet, entertainment, etc.

Where Apple is smart is they decided to go with both markets (power, bigger device/efficient, smaller), and see where they end up. One of the factors behind this is they can afford it. Samsung is releasing the Alpha because they can afford to have 3 high-end phones running in the sane fiscal year. Companies like Motorola and HTC, however, cannot really afford a loss at this point. Having two (or more) flagships running concurrently will cannibalize sales, and they need a home run.

The thing is, the iPhone 5S is king when it comes to graphical ability. Check anandtech for proof. They also managed to have a good GPU in their phones, and for all intents and purposes along with optimization (Moto X) that is all a phone needs. Hell, look at the Moto X, dual core and 2GB of RAM yet had a GPU comparable to the S4, and One M7. The iPhone is able to run one of the most demanding games in mobile called Infinity Blade, hell iOS is getting Bioshock soon.

So no, power isn't a problem with an iPhone.