Has mobile technology plateaued?

JellyJamStudios

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Leave your comment below.
I believe it has all the high end phones have great battery life, cameras, Sharp and vivid displays with near perfect performance. I don't see any real innovations any time soon.

Posted via Android Central App

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe it has all the high end phones have great battery life, cameras, Sharp and vivid displays with near perfect performance. I don't see any real innovations any time soon.

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, batteries with like 3 times the life of today, or that are charged by something else and last a really long time
4k display (maybe even 8k)
Quauntum computing
Photos that look better than what you can see with your own eyes while looking at what you took a picture of
Flexible displays (not a fan, but I still think it's coming)
And other things

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And in any case
They haven't Plateaued because the companies are still going strong and fast to make new and better phones
If we were already at our max, there would be no need to try to make new things

KrayZ Logic

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There is still lots of room for advancement. One of the more interesting ones I've seen is the keyboard with physical bumps appearing on screens only when the keyboard is shown.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Powdered silicon anodes will double the power density of lithium ion batteries, so that's past the current technology. And we'll probably come up with some way of fitting more data into less bandwidth, giving us effectivly more spectrum space. (I can't see cellphones operating at much more than 2GHz, unless the carriers are willing to put enough cell faces out there that you can see a tower wherever you are. That limits the amount of spectrum space to a maximum of something under 2GHz. We haven't gotten to the point yet that we can change the laws of physics or arithmetic.)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It has, besides battery technology, and network technology, we are hitting diminishing returns on everything else.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Processors have reached the point where they can handle, with ease, pretty much everything the form factor can throw at it. Displays are exceeding the acuity of the human eye... Those have been the main things we waited for and improvements will be incremental. Phones just won't be much faster or look better than what we have now.

That's why everyone is putting their efforts into improving cameras, better battery tech (which is a huge engineering obstacle for more than just phones). And developing secondary features like biometric sensors and more useful software features.

That isn't too say that we'll just see warmed over phones, it's just that OEMs will have to do more than just stuff the fastest processor in it and call it a day. We will actually benefit quite a lot from that shift.

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
There's a new technology that's just been developed that uses ambient sound to charge a phone up to 5v. It has the potential to do away with chargers all together.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Processors have reached the point where they can handle, with ease, pretty much everything the form factor can throw at it. Displays are exceeding the acuity of the human eye... Those have been the main things we waited for and improvements will be incremental. Phones just won't be much faster or look better than what we have now.

That's why everyone is putting their efforts into improving cameras, better battery tech (which is a huge engineering obstacle for more than just phones). And developing secondary features like biometric sensors and more useful software features.

That isn't too say that we'll just see warmed over phones, it's just that OEMs will have to do more than just stuff the fastest processor in it and call it a day. We will actually benefit quite a lot from that shift.

I agree with you to an extent, but processors will have to keep getting faster to keep up with technology
I will say that if I tried to run a heavy game on my phone while like editing a video and running like 10 apps in the background, it wouldn't be too happy

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you to an extent, but processors will have to keep getting faster to keep up with technology
I will say that if I tried to run a heavy game on my phone while like editing a video and running like 10 apps in the background, it wouldn't be too happy

To be fair, most computers wouldn't be happy doing that either.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, most computers wouldn't be happy doing that either.

That's true
A quauntum computer could do it with ease though
But that's intense technology

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Not even close. Display tech has probably plateaued, or will soon.

Processing power has a long ways to go (until we can run console quality games and our UIs are all lag free, regardless of device, we need more processing power). Battery has a long ways to go (until we can go at least weeks on a charge, we need more battery power). Camera has a long ways to go (we need optical zoom at the very least, and MUCH better low light). I want Terabyte-level storage at the very least on my phone. There is no reason at all I should not be allowed to carry all my data with me everywhere I go. Thats a tech limitation.

I just used a friend's LG G3 last night. It has a faster CPU than my Nexus, and more RAM. Guess what? It's UI lags. And thats the best of the vendor phones right now. So no, we don't have perfect performance yet. We are still having to make compromises.

Anyway, yes, there are technologies in the pipeline that will address all of these areas. We'll probably see the battery ones sooner rather than later. So we are not done innovating yet.