Can I be considered a Computer Engineer?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hardware engineers build the hardware, software engineers build the software. Most of the time, software engineers are called software developers, but that term has also come to be applied to people who use a drag&drop program to produce garbage that's called software. (It's like "hacker" - we used to be proud to get to the point that people would call us hackers, now it's a tossup whether used car salesmen or hackers are thought less of. Words change meaning over time.)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Sure. Here's your hat. All computer engineers wear hats. It warns people you're coming and they all leave the room.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't if I were you. There are a number of colleges that offer very specific Computer Engineering programs (I graduated from one at UMD) that are usually about half way in between Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, with a lot of architecture thrown in to boot. If you aren't specializing in instruction sets, microarchitecture, processor design, or the like I would use something else like "Software Engineer" (which is generally used as a job title for any programmer) or "Software Developer".

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
He states he is still in school and has not earned a degree... Where does use of a title derive from???

I can not imagine why so many are humoring this thread.

"I'm a dude making an unproven and unprovable claim on the internet in a discussion forum. I claim less accomplishment than required for the title I want to self-style myself as. Will you perfect strangers grant me a respectful job title as if I have some legitimate standing???"

OMFingG. I cry for humanity... :'( :'( :'(

RingDongDing

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My friend is a computer engineering major and he says it best, "With Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, you're at least mediocre in software or hardware. Being a CE means you just suck at both the same time."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma