What's missing from App reviews is,

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What is missing from App reviews is a grading system for privacy!
At the end of each review there should be a list of items with graded beside them. Showing get how intrusive an App is or isn't. Ate they asking for private info not needed to run, contacts and contact info, your pictures, your browsing history, email, etc. We the App users must start asking that this become an industry standard and Google has to start demanding it be apart of all Apps it allows to sell in the play store!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand the privacy concern, but Google does demand this info from devs...sort of. Those are the permissions you see when you install an app, if you bother to read them (which most of the time, and most of us, don't). However, it's not a detailed report of what the app does with that info, though. "Can read your e-mails" can be just to download headers for an app to list them, or can be to scan the whole thing looking for your personal data.

But companies are getting better at disclosing this sort of thing, even if not directly on the Play Store. Just look at Facebook and their recent Messenger fiasco.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've seen those when installing but too many of us they are difficult to tell if actually needed or are getting invasive. That's why I'd like to see a score card. Much easier to see which app might be getting too nosey.

Posted via the Android Central App

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at the viaProtect app. That to some extent should also be published in the app stores. It basically shows where your app has been over time and the kind of security you have for the data you use with the app. viaProtect has saved me many times from installing an app that takes me to odd places around the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance