So, uh, this happened

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can any spot what is missing from my apps drawer? Because it has been like this for a couple days, not a problem but I intentionally did this.

7b22b2651bd27f219c37167fcf631381.jpg
b5bfa4562a8e7d2fef57b4dee39414a5.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah your Google Apps? I am confused what this post is about.. If you intentionally did it.. Then.. ?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah your Google Apps? I am confused what this post is about.. If you intentionally did it.. Then.. ?
All my Google Apps are gone, and I Degooglified my phone. And I was pointing out, that I found out about this App store called F Droid. Free open source apps. There was no hidden agenda I was pointing out that you can have an entirely Google Free Android experience.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
All my Google Apps are gone, and I Degooglified my phone. And I was pointing out, that I found out about this App store called F Droid. Free open source apps. There was no hidden agenda I was pointing out that you can have an entirely Google Free Android experience.

I already experienced a google-free product with my Archos tablet...and I hated it. Like it was just torture to use that thing. I hacked it and eventually got Google apps on there. There is a really good reason Google apps are so popular, and it's not because they are pre-installed.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, Google is one of the biggest benefits of Android. If I didn't want Google, I probably wouldn't pick Android in the first place.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I already experienced a google-free product with my Archos tablet...and I hated it. Like it was just torture to use that thing. I hacked it and eventually got Google apps on there. There is a really good reason Google apps are so popular, and it's not because they are pre-installed.
For sure and I added then back:

e76e135b1cf4d04969b4b70fabeba527.jpg
ff5b2c0918eee206943573cb05fa7934.jpg
47a426e3c842097128e97bcb8e81c487.jpg

I was just showing the fact it can be done, some say Android can't be without Google and I completely did it. I missed out on some apps and functionality doing it though. But things are back where they were now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
To me, Google is one of the biggest benefits of Android. If I didn't want Google, I probably wouldn't pick Android in the first place.
I agree with you. Google services on Android are too notch and why I continue to use them. My hope for the future though is that Google Apps are uninstallable in the future. You can only disable them for now and not very single Google App or Service I need using storage on my phone.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd be concerned about rolling with the open source apps. Seems like an awful big risk for malware
F Droid actually screens app that go into their store. And because it is open source, you are even less likely to hit malware as these apps from code up are viewable by anyone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For sure and I added then back:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/e76e135b1cf4d04969b4b70fabeba527.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/ff5b2c0918eee206943573cb05fa7934.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/47a426e3c842097128e97bcb8e81c487.jpg

I was just showing the fact it can be done, some say Android can't be without Google and I completely did it. I missed out on some apps and functionality doing it though. But things are back where they were now.

I've seen people say that it wouldn't make sense to not use them when using their OS.. But you can do whatever with Android with the right permissions.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. Google services on Android are too notch and why I continue to use them. My hope for the future though is that Google Apps are uninstallable in the future.

A function to remove system applications would be nice (or at least a sub-set of apps that won't bork your phone). Short of core system stuff, people should be able to remove anything and everything on their phones without their carrier or OEM standing in their way. But it might not be 'worth' the trouble and could screw up how OTAs are done, fly in the face of various TOS agreements, etc. Google has a bunch of requirements and if you want any Google services loaded, you pretty much have to go whole hog.. gotta protect that brand, you know... and could you imagine the wretching that we'd see from Verizon if users could easily immediately remove all the useless crap they preload?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've seen people say that it wouldn't make sense to not use them when using their OS.. But you can do whatever with Android with the right permissions.
Of course and I also know tin foilers who swear not to use Google Services.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A function to remove system applications would be nice (or at least a sub-set of apps that won't bork your phone). Short of core system stuff, people should be able to remove anything and everything on their phones without their carrier or OEM standing in their way. But it might not be 'worth' the trouble and could screw up how OTAs are done, fly in the face of various TOS agreements, etc. Google has a bunch of requirements and if you want any Google services loaded, you pretty much have to go whole hog.. gotta protect that brand, you know... and could you imagine the wretching that we'd see from Verizon if users could easily immediately remove all the useless crap they preload?
What my issue is that even I'd you disable a lot of apps, they still take up a lot if memory, so in effect all you really did was stop them from running in the background and removed them from plain site, otherwise they are still there taking up memory.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante