My Quest for a Decent Small Android Phone

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
After my recent thread about smaller devices, I did some retrospection into what I want from a device. And for the past few days I was dead set on getting an iPhone (I know, let me explain), but I thought it over and I thought about what I really need in a phone. And I realized a couple things:

1.) My RAZR M would literally be my dream device, if it had more RAM, I would have no problems but I feel 1GB of RAM is constraining.

2.) Though Android L is promising, KitKat has been a dream for me. If I didn't have KitKat right now, I would have gotten rid of my phone, a long time ago.

3.) The main reason why I lost my Moto X is because I broke it (dropped it), my first smartphone, I stepped on it and broke the screen, my RAZR M has dents and scratches all over the body, yet the screen remains flawless.

And so I realized that the phone I will get is the Kyocera Brigadier, for a couple reasons,

1.) Android is too open and free for me to lose the way I work, I know how iPhones work and I realize Android is better for more power user stuff, such as motivations on my laptop, apps talking and drawing over each other and intents and defaults

2.) It is a rugged phone, if I buy it and something goes wrong it won't because I stepped on it or dropped it.

3.) It's on KitKat, Android L is cool and it may not even hit the Brigadier but I do know it is KitKat which is my favorite OS.

4.) It has a 4.5 inch screen, 720p display and 2GB of RAM. It ticks all the boxes for specs for me.

And with that I will get the Brigadier for sure, no more flip flopping and going back and forth, this is what I want for sure. No longer will I have to worry about cases and I will have a decent small phone and that is all I wanted.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
In the range of maximizers vs. satisficers, you, my friend, are definitely an outlier. Best of luck with your new device and no response is necessary.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Why can't you say what you mean? No clear reasoning for what you said came from those results.

I thought you would have a basic understanding of the terms.

[link removed by moderator]

In the smartphone context, a satisficer would select the first phone that suits his or her general needs, whereas a maximizer would exhaustively research the options to find the perceived optimal choice. It's safe to say that after six months, numerous threads, and the flip flopping you referred to, you are an outlier well beyond a normal maximizer. As such, it is a relief to see that you have found your next phone! Congratulations and I hope it ends up being a fine choice!

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why can't you say what you mean? No clear reasoning for what you said came from those results.

Heh.. :) I'm with you on this one... too many hipster buzzwords in one sentence..... all we needed was for him to praise you for maximizing your synergy. That being said.. awesome that you found a phone. We were getting sick of your constant whining. :)

Plus, when(if?) the iPhone 6 comes out and everyone who buys one brags at how no one else has a sapphire screen and Apple invented it or something equally as silly (which you know will come), just hold that thing up, drop it on the pavement and then ask them to do the same. heh....

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Heh.. :) I'm with you on this one... too many hipster buzzwords in one sentence..... all we needed was for him to praise you for maximizing your synergy. That being said.. awesome that you found a phone. We were getting sick of your constant whining. :)

Plus, when(if?) the iPhone 6 comes out and everyone who buys one brags at how no one else has a sapphire screen and Apple invented it or something equally as silly (which you know will come), just hold that thing up, drop it on the pavement and then ask them to do the same. heh....
True. When the iFanatics brag about their sapphire screens, I can be like "excuse me, but my phone had it first".

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
True. When the iFanatics brag about their sapphire screens, I can be like "excuse me, but my phone had it first".

NO WAY dude.... use it... I mean, that bad boy meets military beat-down specs.... challenge them to a stress test like throwing it against a brick wall or something. I mean, pssh... what good is a sapphire screen if ya ain't gonna work it!

:)

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Lol, I could have said "it's about damn time OP made a decision" but that would've been a bit rude. :) I was trying to frame the obvious in scientific (not hipster) language that explains how humans behave differently when it comes to decision-making. OP could have given birth with the effort he put into choosing his next phone, but nevertheless I am happy that he finally found the right one. It looks like a pretty cool device to me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I could have said "it's about damn time OP made a decision" but that would've been a bit rude. :) I was trying to frame the obvious in scientific (not hipster) language that explains how humans behave differently when it comes to decision-making. OP could have given birth with the effort he put into choosing his next phone, but nevertheless I am happy that he finally found the right one. It looks like a pretty cool device to me.

The thing with me is I research heavily before I get any device, including the Moto X. It just the fact I have forums as a way to bounce ideas back and forth this time go round. I mean aren't we supposed to as consumers buy what is best for us? It seems that is what I get from your post.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I mean aren't we supposed to as consumers buy what is best for us? It seems that is what I get from your post.

Everyone goes about it differently. That's the whole idea behind maximizer vs. satisficer research. It explains the difference between the satisficer who says: "I saw a commercial for the Galaxy S5 and it is the next big thing--that works for me" and the maximizer who researches every phone, asks people for their opinions, reads reviews, compares specs, and then still often doesn't make a choice because he's concerned it might not be the optimal one.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyone goes about it differently. That's the whole idea behind maximizer vs. satisficer research. It explains the difference between the satisficer who says: "I saw a commercial for the Galaxy S5 and it is the next big thing--that works for me" and the maximizer who researches every phone, asks people for their opinions, reads reviews, compares specs, and then still often doesn't make a choice because he's concerned it might not be the optimal one.
I get what you are saying now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I mean all I want is a device with at least 2GB of RAM and is not a phablet. From what I have seen only 3 devices fulfill this on Verizon:

Moto X

Droid Mini

Kyocera Brigadier

I chose the Brigadier because of the toughness, but should I really reconsider? My not so important concern is I may never see Android L on the Brigadier.