Sony and The U.S.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So can anyone explain to me why Sony the redheaded step child for carrier availability in the states? I ask because I would do things in order to get that Z3 Compact on Verizon. I mean it is literally my dream device. Hell, what happened to the rumor that the Z2 would be on Verizon? ll we get in the states for carrier availability is the Z1S on T-Mobile. I mean you can buy their devices unlocked from their website or Amazon and that is cool but I specifically want one for my carrier. Any reason to explain such poor Sony availability?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sony does not care or need to bend to the will of carriers to sell enough to make their margins work. Sony has a more global look at product production and the small market held by Verizon compared to the global market just isn't worth it to them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is small compared to the rest of the world.

Sony doesn't need Verizon in the grand scheme of things.

If you really wanted the Z3 Compact, you'd switch carriers and deal with it. :)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sony does not care or need to bend to the will of carriers to sell enough to make their margins work. Sony has a more global look at product production and the small market held by Verizon compared to the global market just isn't worth it to them.

But I mean I look at it this way, Sony worldwide while making money off Android is nowhere near the top 5 smartphone makers, so maybe they can expand their horizons more? I don't know, I just think it is weird how they use to have phones everywhere here and now it is a pain the behind to get a Sony device.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is small compared to the rest of the world.

Sony doesn't need Verizon in the grand scheme of things.

If you really wanted the Z3 Compact, you'd switch carriers and deal with it. :)

Well I registered on Sony's website so they will email me when it becomes available, so it is a start :).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
One good thing about it is that Sony can put much more money and effort into making better devices since they are not trying to compete with the big player that are with the major carriers. Samsung has to put alot into their marketing to compete and that just take away from their device development hence the more features vs good features.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One good thing about it is that Sony can put much more money and effort into making better devices since they are not trying to compete with the big player that are with the major carriers. Samsung has to put alot into their marketing to compete and that just take away from their device development hence the more features vs good features.

I don't think that is the reason why they put a lot features in their devices. I mean this is Android, manufacturers have to do something to differentiate and Samsung chooses bunch of software apps. Are they all useful? No. But you know a Samsung device when you see one, and that was the point.

But back to Sony, I don't think it is fannagling with carriers is the problem I think something else is going on.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
So can anyone explain to me why Sony the redheaded step child for carrier availability in the states? I ask because I would do things in order to get that Z3 Compact on Verizon. I mean it is literally my dream device. Hell, what happened to the rumor that the Z2 would be on Verizon? ll we get in the states for carrier availability is the Z1S on T-Mobile. I mean you can buy their devices unlocked from their website or Amazon and that is cool but I specifically want one for my carrier. Any reason to explain such poor Sony availability?

Sony chose not to make a CDMA phone for Verizon's network. End of story.

If you want the latest and greatest always available to you then you need to use a GSM carrier.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sony chose not to make a CDMA phone for Verizon's network. End of story.

If you want the latest and greatest always available to you then you need to use a GSM carrier.

Not fair, I have had the best coverage and service on Verizon than any other service provider. I may not have had Sprint or T-Mobile (which both suck from what I know) but I had AT&T, and while they are ok, Verizon beats them for indoor coverage. CDMA has better building penetration and stronger call quality.

But, even then Sony has only made phone s available on T-Mobile, which is why I said carriers and not just Verizon. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all have gone without Sony devices for years now, what gives?

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Not fair, I have had the best coverage and service on Verizon than any other service provider. I may not have had Sprint or T-Mobile (which both suck from what I know) but I had AT&T, and while they are ok, Verizon beats them for indoor coverage. CDMA has better building penetration and stronger call quality.

But, even then Sony has only made phone s available on T-Mobile, which is why I said carriers and not just Verizon. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all have gone without Sony devices for years now, what gives?

Yeah T-Mobile isn't the best
I think I have seen some improvement recently, but it still has a long way to go to catch up to Verizon

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I would talk to people in your area that have T-Mobile and see what their coverage is like in buildings and stuff like that. I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and I'm way happier with my data speeds and coverage. I think T-Mobile also has something where you can try a phone from almost nothing for two weeks to try their network.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would talk to people in your area that have T-Mobile and see what their coverage is like in buildings and stuff like that. I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and I'm way happier with my data speeds and coverage. I think T-Mobile also has something where you can try a phone from almost nothing for two weeks to try their network.

I live in Atlanta T-Mobile is one of the most popular carriers along with Metro PCS (a T-Mobile MVNO) and all the people I know who have these carriers have worse coverage than I do whenever we go somewhere and you can look at their coverage maps too and while they have a lot of coverage they have poor building penetration and traveling outside the city results in loss of signals and 4G.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I live in Atlanta T-Mobile is one of the most popular carriers along with Metro PCS (a T-Mobile MVNO) and all the people I know who have these carriers have worse coverage than I do whenever we go somewhere and you can look at their coverage maps too and while they have a lot of coverage they have poor building penetration and traveling outside the city results in loss of signals and 4G.

Oh ok. I have good coverage with T-Mobile all over the metro area here. Hopefully they'll get better coverage where you're at soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci