Mobile Anti Virus program required ?

yunvi

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Gooday folks,

relatively new android user here (Galaxy S4 following a series of BB devices) and i was just wondering, do I really need to have antivirus apps running on my phone ?

- Would I be safe in making sure i only download editors choice apps from the play store ?
- sometimes the phone seems to run a bit slow, at which point i do a battery pull, and then its fine after that. does that mean i have malware ?
- sometimes i visit sites to download movies from. in particular a site that rhymes with jiffy and a window pops for an add or something. does that mean the phone is infected ?

bear in mind im not worried about nsa or fbi programs or any of that crap i (and other people should as well ) understand that if those "institutions" want to get access to whats on your phone, apart from not using one, there really is nothing you can do.

Haivng said all that though, should i, or should i not bother to install an antivirus program..(or app):-\

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you stick to apps that come from the Play Store (or sanctioned stores like Amazon's or Samsung's) then you're OK. And if on top of that you stick to apps that come from respected developers or Editor recommendations, then that's an added layer of security.

Also, standard 'common sense' applies. If you go into a movie download site (which, I'm guessing it's not really a legal one, but let's overlook that for the time being) it will have ads. It's not malware unless you have installed something, it's just how these sites make money (but you can activate the pop-up blocker on your browser). If you click on them and it downloads software and you install that, however, then it's pretty much letting your door open and handing the combination to your safe to a total stranger.

The same goes for installing apps (sideloading) that don't come from trusted sources. Yes, pirated apps fall into this category. If this is a common practice for you, then you'll need an antivirus.

There are, however, apps that are not really malware as much as they are just pushy with ads. Those usually run in the background, showing ads even when you're not actively using them. These apps are usually shady wallpaper apps or game clones, but with a simple ad network detector you can see which apps are showing you ads and if you choose to keep them or not.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
SpookDroids words of caution are indeed wise... However...

We've all done stupid things online. We've all handed our phone to someone else to use. We've all thought something was safe/trusted and it turns out it was not.

Here's the bottom line: the more popular an Operating System, the more profligate and focused the attacks become against it. Android has not proven to be an exception to the rule, it in some ways exemplifies the rule through the "openness" and "hackability" of the OS. There is a huge hacking culture within the user base.

Personally, I feel that I am no tech dummy - not an expert, not a programmer, but someone who has learned a lot of tricks, reads multiple tech sites daily and considers tech an active hobby. I use AV when I use Android.

SpookDroid says, essentially, "play safe and you'll be cool."

That is good advice if you are savvy, learned and dedicated to patrolling the safety of your device in a constant and ongoing manner. The reality is... Most users are not all these things or not able to sustain all these things at all times. I say "play safe" and hedge your bets. Put some AV on that motherlover. It's all well and good to hand out cavalier advice of "it's fine if you follow the rules," but the person giving that advice has no idea if you will remember the rules, abide by the rules or even understand what the rules are about.

It's a slippery slope to say to ANYONE that "AV is not needed because x, y and z." Things change rapidly. People's vigilance fails them. What was safe today is tomorrow's exploit. I read such advice all the time on tech sites and in forums and it disturbs me. I speak against it. Who is this person to put YOU at risk? Wonderful for them if they are that smart, that knowledgeable and skilled, that dedicated to patrolling their security at all times. I know I'm not and my IQ is 137 and I study tech daily. There is quite simply too much to know to cover each and every instance for each and every user. P.E.R.I.O.D. Let them assess their own risk and take their own measures, but never let them tell you to sit idly by if you feel that your security is vulnerable. NEVER.

You know about faith? If you have it and you are wrong - in the end the result is the same as if you don't have faith. No afterlife. But while you are alive, faith comforts you and sustains you. It enriches your life. It can only add, not subtract. If you have it and it is needed - the end result is completely different than not having it...

AV on mobile is the opposite of faith, yet it behaves the same. If you have it and you don't need it - the end result is the same. No corruption of your device. But while you are using your device, AV comforts you and sustains you. It enriches your experience. It can only add, not subtract. If you have it and it is needed - the end result is completely different than not having it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC