What do you think of my theory?

JellyJamStudios

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I believe that if people were more adept and familiar with technology and software companies such as Apple, Beats, and even Microsoft wouldn't be as prominent as they are now. No one would buy iPhones because they would know how much more Android offers. Consumers wouldn't buy Beats because they could just by Audio Technicas at half the price with better sound quality. And people wouldn't use Windows as they could use Linux for their OS and Android as their preferred choice for phones.
What's your input on this theory.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that vogue plays a bigger role than you give it credit for. People don't buy iPhones because they're ignorant, they buy them because Apple is cool. It's also true that Android arguably does more, but if you don't need or want what Android offers in addition to the iPhone, that doesn't really matter.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Knowledge would influence some sales but not all as a coolness factor skews everything. Why do you think BlackBerry is on life support and WP is struggling to stay afloat? Why do you think Beats was just sold to Apple for 3 billion? It is all has to do with brand recognition.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think that vogue plays a bigger role than you give it credit for. People don't buy iPhones because they're ignorant, they buy them because Apple is cool. It's also true that Android arguably does more, but if you don't need or want what Android offers in addition to the iPhone, that doesn't really matter.

People buy apple because it makes them feel close to the late Steve Jobs.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Knowledge would influence some sales but not all as a coolness factor skews everything. Why do you think BlackBerry is on life support and WP is struggling to stay afloat? Why do you think Beats was just sold to Apple for 3 billion? It is all has to do with brand recognition.

BlackBerry had brand recognition until they decided to stop innovating

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry had brand recognition until they decided to stop innovating

They have bad brand recognition. They were tied (and still tied) to the image of being the company that makes the old keyboard devices with a slow web browser. You would be surprised how many people don't know they make modern smartphones now, and it is entirely their fault.

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Tgis is all tag wars. Get the best sounding name, gain reputation and become the key ng even though you're just a burger King, people will buy, and buy and buy aimlessly with no other reason but getting the newest product even though they don't require it.

Another connected issue raised by this thread is, what if people bought what's good, cheap and for their needs?

Why do people spend too much money on something they really don't need, heck half the people with high end phones don't really use them. They just use them as communication and media devices in the simplest way of it.
This you can do with a 3 year old low end phone.

This dumb consumption method just harms the environment, the economy and mostly the consumer.
Here is why:

Environment:
People replace phones rapidly, once in half a year, 1 year or even 3 years without them really needing to replace it.
The old phone gets dumped or given to someone else, either way it creates more and more electronic waste.

Economy: The money goes to phone production companies and the rest in this echo system.
Think of money as energy, and energy has a limit to.
Now take in mind that our economy runs on debt.
People borrow energy and give that energy away to the phone industry, think of how many people taking loans to buy a new phone (36 month payment plans and actual loans), think of how many people carry an expensive smartphone in their pocket and can't end the month.
Now think of all that energy wasted on phones given to a study of "free/green energy" I bet we could've reached something with all that money invested on this matter (for example).

The consumer:
The majority of consumers are dumb when it comes to purchasing a new phone (or anything else for that matter).
The producers are well aware of that fact and instead of producing 1 strong and well developed newer smartphone tgey produce a newer phone which is better in a fraction compared to the predecessor. And people just jump on it and buy it.
Take Galaxy S series for example. If you had the previous phone it didn't matter to buy the new one, the only major difference was the one after the new one. e.g upgrading from s2 to s3 didn't yield that much difference, and a few months later s4 popped in the market.
Even the tick tock production is corrupted to the bone (iPhone 5 iPhone 5s).
So all in all consumers just ask to get it from behind bending on four in the phone store. (and liking it)

What's your thoughts on this? (btw I wrote something similar on the WP centeral forums and got flamed so I hope I don't offend anyone and if I do, then shut up)

Posted via a waiting to be rooted One M8

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting involved in a debate on the environment in the AC forums, but "people" don't typically replace their devices every year- let alone twice a year- unless those devices break. Thus it's uncommon for someone to upgrade from a device to its immediate successor, thus your argument about it being stupid for people to upgrade yearly is a straw man.

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not getting involved in a debate on the environment in the AC forums, but "people" don't typically replace their devices every year- let alone twice a year- unless those devices break. Thus it's uncommon for someone to upgrade from a device to its immediate successor, thus your argument about it being stupid for people to upgrade yearly is a straw man.

Then you are ignorant to what happens, or you live in a certain place with a different mentality. But this mentality of buying the newest just because it's new exist. Stroll around these forums and see it for yourself. Don't jump to make my argument invalid because you haven't witnessed it or unaware of it.

Please don't post a close minded opinion with no ground to it and say your opinion is correct. This is an act of ignorance and damages those who read it. So before you post, understand what you are replying to, know what you have to deliver and deliver it in the most accurate and understandable meaning you can so your words won't be empty.
Thanks in advance and good luck.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Then you are ignorant to what happens, or you live in a certain place with a different mentality. But this mentality of buying the newest just because it's new exist. Stroll around these forums and see it for yourself. Don't jump to make my argument invalid because you haven't witnessed it or unaware of it.

Please don't post a close minded opinion with no ground to it and say your opinion is correct. This is an act of ignorance and damages those who read it. So before you post, understand what you are replying to, know what you have to deliver and deliver it in the most accurate and understandable meaning you can so your words won't be empty.
Being condescending isn't likely to earn you many supporters, or friends. Of course, if you're just looking to troll, then godspeed.

To address your actual content, you're twisting my words. I didn't say nobody upgrades annually, I said it's not typical.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
They have bad brand recognition. They were tied (and still tied) to the image of being the company that makes the old keyboard devices with a slow web browser. You would be surprised how many people don't know they make modern smartphones now, and it is entirely their fault.

Yet what are their next two big phones? Keyboard phones. They have, for now, given up the consumer market to go back to their roots.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

But isn't that exactly what you did?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

You may place an overestimated value on the infinitesimal - it damages people to read something you don't agree with? Sheesh. IAC, some of us just like collecting phones. Yeah, maybe it's dumb. Take a look around, this is Android Central, not AA.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yet what are their next two big phones? Keyboard phones. They have, for now, given up the consumer market to go back to their roots.

Roots which won't put them back into profitability, I guarantee it. But they think enterprise will save them, the same thing Microsoft thinks and they keep ignoring the fact the mass consumer is what dictates the market right now.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Roots which won't put them back into profitability, I guarantee it. But they think enterprise will save them, the same thing Microsoft thinks and they keep ignoring the fact the mass consumer is what dictates the market right now.

I think we have to wait and see but I agree it will be a difficult road. They certainly lost the consumer fight so it's really their only choice.

Tiriyon

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Really guys... Ugh, I started to write something long with pics and sh... Then I understood you don't deserve my effort so...

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it better for the environment to have only two phone models instead of a hundred.

The Mac users I know are all as technically adept as I am, if not more. They're not dumb. They're well aware that they can buy or build a windows machine for cheaper, and they have plenty of complaints about the Mac and apple, but they still prefer it over Windows. I use a PC, but they never rag on me about it.

Those people standing in line for the iPhone? They're scalpers or just doing it for the fun. It's like a tailgate party for geeks. Doesn't mean they have a shrine for Steve jobs at home.

fcmatteo

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I believe that if people were more adept and familiar with technology and software companies such as Apple, Beats, and even Microsoft wouldn't be as prominent as they are now. No one would buy iPhones because they would know how much more Android offers. Consumers wouldn't buy Beats because they could just by Audio Technicas at half the price with better sound quality. And people wouldn't use Windows as they could use Linux for their OS and Android as their preferred choice for phones.
What's your input on this theory.

Yes, Linux is better than Windows, Android than iOS and the Beats are overpriced. At least for you and for me. But I don't see a problem if a person want to buy an iOS, in fact I want people to buy iPhones. Competition improves innovation, even for open source projects (Although Android isn't totally open source).
Besides you are not better for using Linux or Android. The people who buy Beats are very satisfied, they don't need the best sound, they just need a decent sound with a great design and a cool brand. They probably won't notice the difference with a better sound. And that's no bad. Each person decides what is more important for them.
I use Linux 99% of my time, but I can't transfer music to my Galaxy S4. In Windows I just connect the cable and drag the files. Why a non-technical user should use Linux if the Windows interface is much more non-technical-user-friendly? In Linux I constantly use the terminal, in Windows almost never. And don't make me talk about software because if we are going to compare GIMP with Photoshop...

There's people that doesn't care, they just want a product that makes what they want, which is no much. And it's OK. Do you know everything and care about everything?

If we will talk about social behaviors that if changed would make this world a better place, I think this is one of the latest to discuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888