I have noticed a lot of lag on my GS5, more than I should be getting, so I'm thinking about switching to a different brand and flagship phone. I'm thinking either the M8, the Nexus 5, or the Sony Xperia Z3.
    I'd kinda like the Nexus 5 for the stock android, but I'm a spec guy, and I'm concerned about the specs as they don't seem up to par with the S5. The Sony Xperia Z3 looks really nice and has good specs, but I'm not sure how the OS overlay is with lag. Advice would be great!

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    09-09-2014 06:44 AM
    I have noticed a lot of lag on my GS5, more than I should be getting, so I'm thinking about switching to a different brand and flagship phone. I'm thinking either the M8, the Nexus 5, or the Sony Xperia Z3.
    I'd kinda like the Nexus 5 for the stock android, but I'm a spec guy, and I'm concerned about the specs as they don't seem up to par with the S5. The Sony Xperia Z3 looks really nice and has good specs, but I'm not sure how the OS overlay is with lag. Advice would be great!

Of the choices, I would say the Nexus 5 or M8.

Counterpoint on the Nexus 5: I understand being worried about the specs, but there is less crap running on a Nexus, so even though the specs are lower, the experience will more than make up for it. Another example of how specs can be deceiving; look at the Moto X 2013.
    09-09-2014 08:57 AM
    M8 has great battery life (in my experience anyway), especially compared to the nexus 5. Sense 6 is a really nice skin and doesn't lag. It's very polished.
    09-09-2014 09:24 AM
    The M8 skin is not as awful as Touchwiz. And the M8 has great touch response. And it has stereo speakers. The only real downside is the camera...the Nexus 5 definitely has a better camera IMO.

Specs are only important if you are making direct comparisons. Because the M8 and S5 are bogged down with skins, it's not a direct hardware comparison. The Nexus 5 definitely has the fastest and smoothest UI of any Android phone right now. It does have an Adreno 330 GPU, so it will be fast on games (the same GPU the M8/S5 has). The Snapdragon 800 is still an excellent CPU, comparable to the 801 in the M8 and 805 in the S5. It still has 2 gigs of RAM. It still has a 1080p display. What it doesn't have is a lot of crap running in the background eating processor cycles that you can't remove. The Nexus 5 has the best camera of the 3 IMO...better daylight photos than the M8 (and higher resolution), and better lowlight than the S5.

You do get benefits with the other flagships, if you can tolerate their skins. The S5 is waterproof, the M8 has stereo speakers and a nice case. Both have better battery life. For me this wasn't enough, especially since they cost almost twice as much. I'll never own a non-vanilla Android phone again.
    09-09-2014 10:01 AM
    I'm actually really considering the Sony Xperia Z3.
    Does anybody have any experience with the Z2 or Z and could tell me how it feels, if it runs smooth, and how it looks.

I don't know how I feel about the M8 and Nexus 5. I like the vanilla android on the Nexus 5, but that's about it. The M8 seems really tall, but I do like the speakers and it has about the same specs as my GS5. I am concerned about that camera though.

09-09-2014 05:17 PM
    Can't you just root the s5 and put a decent ROM on it?

With all that hardware, how can it lag?
    09-11-2014 04:15 PM
    Can't you just root the s5 and put a decent ROM on it?

With all that hardware, how can it lag?
    Rooting is not the simple procedure a lot of nerds would have you believe it is. Even on a Nexus device it is a pain, and on Samsung devices even more so.

It lags because touchwiz is awful. Touchwiz is the reason for the lag, and the only reason.
    09-11-2014 04:31 PM
    I don't want to void the warranty and or mess the phone up, so no I can't root

09-11-2014 07:09 PM
    Nexus is a great device, G3 & M8 also, havent looked into the other phones... Moto X also
    09-11-2014 09:16 PM
    Rooting is not the simple procedure a lot of nerds would have you believe it is. Even on a Nexus device it is a pain, and on Samsung devices even more so.

It lags because touchwiz is awful. Touchwiz is the reason for the lag, and the only reason.
    Depends on the root method. Haven't looked into rooting methods for the S5, but CF Auto Root on my S4 was as simple as downloading 3 files and clicking 3 buttons
    09-11-2014 09:21 PM
    all samsung phones that I used lags...I am currently using htc 816 which dos not lag but its low on spec
    09-15-2014 06:56 PM
    all samsung phones that I used lags...I am currently using htc 816 which dos not lag but its low on spec
    The 816 really looks like a nice midrange phone

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2014 08:10 PM
    I've been very happy with my M8.

I'm running Android Revolution ROM. No lag, very snappy, great battery life.
    09-15-2014 08:17 PM