Hi everyone,

I'm confused about something.

My Canadian carrier (Videotron) just launched their LTE network. To get access, I needed to change my SIM card.

On my old SIM card, I only got 4G coverage. If I looked at my phone's settings, I see it was HSPA+.

Now, with the new sim card, I only get 3G or LTE. (No 4G.)

Can a cell phone/sim card get 3G, 4G and LTE (depending on whats available)? Or are sim cards are only designed for 4G OR 3G and LTE?

Thanks.
    09-10-2014 09:31 PM
    LTE is 4g

Posted via Android Central App
    09-10-2014 09:50 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm confused about something.

My Canadian carrier (Videotron) just launched their LTE network. To get access, I needed to change my SIM card.

On my old SIM card, I only got 4G coverage. If I looked at my phone's settings, I see it was HSPA+.

Now, with the new sim card, I only get 3G or LTE. (No 4G.)

Can a cell phone/sim card get 3G, 4G and LTE (depending on whats available)? Or are sim cards are only designed for 4G OR 3G and LTE?

Thanks.
    LTE is 4g, just a little better.
    09-12-2014 01:46 AM
    A lot of carriers labeled H+ as 4G on their carrier string. This is part of connecting to their service. They chose to show 4G as it was less confusing to consumers and also "hype" that H+ IS faster than old 3G. Once LTE gets activated they relegate H+ back to showing as 3G as it is 3.5G and they are now promoting "true" 4G under the label LTE. Again, these labels are part of the service you connect to. Your phone receives the labels from the tower when it tells your phone what speed it is connecting you at. Your phone interprets that part of the signal into your display. Your 3G/H+ being supported is the same speed, your carrier is labeling it differently at the tower level.

There are hacks that can change how your carrier string displays this. These hacks are purely cosmetic and do not affect actual data speed.

Them changing your SIM sounds like the old SIM would not take the correct programming needed to enable LTE (and perhaps other advanced features) on your phone. Sounds like an issue with how long ago your SIM was manufactured.
    09-12-2014 10:38 AM