Got the Hangouts update, but no GV popup/option to import

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife's GNex got the hangouts update this morning. I opened it and closed it a few times, but I never got a popup asking to import Google Voice text message functionality. There was a popup saying what was new with Hangouts, that I could now make phone calls from Hangouts for free, but no blue popup about the text messages.

Anyone else experience this? Was there a delay in getting the popup?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I got the same thing. Hangouts update but no prompt to migrate my GV texting to Hangouts.

Thanks for the reply. I know they said there was a server-side switch that had to be flipped, but I figured if you had received the updated Hangouts app that meant they had flipped the switch.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I finally got the prompt when I opened Hangouts to respond to a text on my normal number. I declined at the time, I imagine I can force it when I want now that my "switch has been flipped"...

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I found the transition to be anything but smooth. The option to merge never appeared before the roll-out was briefly suspended. When the switch was flipped, the new menu items automatically appeared in Hangouts settings. Unfortunately, I had no drop-down to select either GV SMS or Hangouts (hadn't been merged). By playing around, my wife found we had to open the deprecated GV app (now a brown warning appears at the top), send a text to a contact, then re-open Hangouts and -- finally! -- the options appear.

Some bugs we've noticed:

1. When SMS from Hangouts is opened on the Moto 360, only our side of the conversation is shown. Previously, it worked fine when SMS was received by the GV app and sent to the 360.

2. Moto X (Moto Assist) still doesn't read texts, even though Hangouts is officially the default SMS app now. Seems the built in app is hardwired to this touchless feature.

Has been a long time coming, but there's still some work to do!

TJH

sddfdds

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So I can't tell for sure based on the faq, but it does seem to be so...are all my old google voice texts supposed to be imported into hangouts? Seems that way based on the faq, but I've gotten all the app updates and the migrate prompt and did it, and everything is working smooth in hangouts now, but all my old text history from voice is not in hangouts

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Took me a couple days to get the merge opt in too. My old Google voice texts did not transfer, but are still viewable through the voice app.

Posted via the Android Central App