Google play requires developers to make home address public.

VyprNoch

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
So I just read this on phandroid.com that Google is making it mandatory to submit home address for apps that are paid or have in-app purchases from this September 30.

I just checked on my developer console and it is true. I am unable to post screenshot from mobile.

IMO this is crazy. I don't want people showing up at my house asking info about next release or removing bugs. It seems scary.

Posted via Android Central App

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
honestly not a huge fan of this at all. Now I am all for Google requiring you to supply one but I am against it being made public. If someone wants to contact you they could go threw google and google could forward it on to you but sure as hell not going to make it public. That is wrong.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It says "Add a physical address" to your settings. They can set this as a business or whatever... It does not specifically say they must put their "Home" address.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So what address would an Indie developer add?

They technically can just find one for their state or city .. Such as a downtown building or their post office (P.O. Box) .. or whatever they want. They never stated it has to be their home address. Let's try not to make details up that aren't there :).

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this will get shot down pretty quickly.

This is weird. I've seen apps that don't even list an email. They send you to a support page and you have to create an account to create a support ticket and all this crap. Forget it.

VyprNoch

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I think that's part of the point: to ensure accountability for developers who charge for their apps.

Accountability doesn't mean making home address public. I want to believe that Google will somehow make sure its not misused but with that dialog box right now, its something I don't want to fill in. Ever.

Posted via Android Central App

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it's just Jedi mind trick. Give us your address so we can make it public. Hell no! How about give us your address but we will keep it private and never divulge it without court order.. Okay, that sounds reasonable.

SG91

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I think that's part of the point: to ensure accountability for developers who charge for their apps.

Maybe Google could actually moderate their app store? If Microsoft and Apple can do it, so can Google. iOS is looking better and better. I just read a tutorial on how to create a keyboard, and damn, it's easy.

crabbist

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
This seems bizzare, what about the thousands of solo indie devs....nobody is going to want to put their home address up for everyone to see.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they want to scare all the money grabbing jack-wads out of their store whose Apps do nothing but show adverts. 'bout time that happened. Feeding on the cash cow and ripping off consumers is not a right. When you have no accountability, you should have no business. I don't agree with listing home addresses in public for this context either, but fully support a more clear means of contacting developers if there is an issue...

SG91

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple and Microsoft will probably do the same, PO BOX is physical address should be suitable and in accordance with the terms...

Um no they won't. Why? Because they're the actual sellers of the apps. Because Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Steam, etc are the actual sellers of applications, they handle all of the legal "limelight".

Also: A PO Box is NOT a "physical address"!

SG91

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like they want to scare all the money grabbing jack-wads out of their store whose Apps do nothing but show adverts. 'bout time that happened. Feeding on the cash cow and ripping off consumers is not a right. When you have no accountability, you should have no business. I don't agree with listing home addresses in public for this context either, but fully support a more clear means of contacting developers if there is an issue...

So, you don't mind having the mess that Google created be handed over to indie devs? Google created this mess in the first place, Google should be the one to clean it up! Not us indie devs!

Oh, and how about Google actually moderate and police the Play Store!?! Now that's a brilliant idea no one seems to have.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you apparently missed the part where I indicated I don't agree with public posting of address, but do support a mandatory contact method.

Google created what mess? Some (not all, probably not you) developers having NO contact method? No website, no email, nada. Just take customers money and that's it. Tough. No recourse if an App doesn't work after the ridiculous 15 minute time limit expires on the Play Store return policy?

Don't vent on me. I'm not Play and I'm also not one of the many thousands of predatory Self-Advertisement & Money Grabbing Machine disguised as an App developers either. They created the mess. Your peers.