Google Office Suite Experiment Over

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I tried using Google Services Docs, Sheets and Slides so far into my semester in college and it well for essays but there were a couple problems:

1.) Sheets is awful, I tried using it for my Business Stats class and for anything I needed it took to long or was annoying to edit.

2.)Tried using them offline and didn't work. WiFi can get spotty in my dorm room and when WiFi goes, there goes my work flow. I have to patiently try to wait until I can get work done again.

3.) The office suite is fine for casual use but anything advanced will hurt your productivity

So earlier last week, I got a free copy of Office 2013 from my college and switched all my stuff back to Microsoft. Being able to have my browser closed to do work is helping me be more focused and Office is soooo much faster.

I used Google Office Suite last semester with success but now that my work for my finance degree is getting more advanced, Google services just does not cut it anymore.
Just my takeaway. Any questions ask away.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO, for finance Excel and Access are needed - if nothing else, a lot of your classes will be using those and they won't necessarily be able to troubleshoot differences in formulaic syntax - and many use VBA for forms, etc.

How/why did offline not work? On Windows, ChromeOS and Android I've never seen an issue with working offline. It just saves things locally until it can sync.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
IMO, for finance Excel and Access are needed - if nothing else, a lot of your classes will be using those and they won't necessarily be able to troubleshoot differences in formulaic syntax - and many use VBA for forms, etc.

How/why did offline not work? On Windows, ChromeOS and Android I've never seen an issue with working offline. It just saves things locally until it can sync.

It just never worked. I tried looking it up and everything but I could find nothing to help me figure it out. I just needed up giving up and I am glad I did, I can now get my work done proper.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just in case, I am not means bashing Google Services but they are more for everyday people than for advanced use. Which is the total opposite perspective people have on Android, which I find funny. I hope Google keeps improving their office suite though because soon it really could be a good office alternative.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just in case, I am not means bashing Google Services but they are more for everyday people than for advanced use. Which is the total opposite perspective people have on Android, which I find funny. I hope Google keeps improving their office suite though because soon it really could be a good office alternative.

That's exactly what they're doing - they offer a free alternative with which 90%+ people can do everything they need to and let someone else offer a high cost solution for the power user niche. One of our problems is that many people that can barely make a home budget think of themselves as power users that must have the most updated full Office suite, etc.

Off topic, if you ever have excel, access or VBA questions, I'm a wizard on those functions. I came from a heavy analytics background and used to be an "excel ninja" on a help formula for formulas, structure and automation.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what they're doing - they offer a free alternative with which 90%+ people can do everything they need to and let someone else offer a high cost solution for the power user niche. One of our problems is that many people that can barely make a home budget think of themselves as power users that must have the most updated full Office suite, etc.

Off topic, if you ever have excel, access or VBA questions, I'm a wizard on those functions. I came from a heavy analytics background and used to be an "excel ninja" on a help formula for formulas, structure and automation.

I agree with everyone thinking they need Office. If I was taking less advanced classes I pull not be using it, but for advanced usage I admit Microsoft has that area cornered, though Kingsoft Office (now Xps) isn't too far behind. I used their office suite for a while too.

I have experience with all major services by now. Including browsers. I don't even use Chrome any more, way too RAM hungry, my laptop kicks into high gear watching a YouTube video or browsing Mobile nations. For now Microsoft Services and Opera for browsing on all my devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis