Is android for me?

Brian_Geyer

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So I want to try an android phone (m8 or s5) but I'm really don't know if I would like the "android experience" or not. I currently own a Kindle Fire HD (older version) and if smartphone android experiences are like my Kindle then I would certainly not buy it. I love my Kindle but it can't replace my love for iOS. iOS is great and I love how polished it feels but it seems like apple releases the same stuff over and over and the iPhone 6 seems too much of the same.
On my Kindle the twitter app sucks. It refreshes weird and I feel like I don't get notifications right away like on iOS. I just think that apps might just be better on iOS. And if that's true then its a deal breaker for me. Or maybe it's just my Kindle.

Please tell me your opinions. I want to switch because iOS/iPhone seems like the same old and the 6 seems too much like a basic phone. The only thing holding me back is the quality of the apps. I have played with these phones in stores but as you probably know, phones are WAY different in real world experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Kindle experience does not reflect mainstream Android devices, since Kindles use a "forked" version of Android (i.e., heavily modified by Amazon). Android and the manufacturers that make Android devices have matured to such an extent that I think you would be very pleased with how smooth the experience is now. The customizability and versatility continue to be big strengths, despite Apple's recent adoption of some of those features. If you wanted to try a phone, I'd suggest one that isn't heavily skinned (i.e., with lots of manufacturer-included bells and whistles, like Samsung's TouchWiz), because it can be a little bewildering for someone who is not used to Android, and can sometimes also contribute to lag.

The HTC One M8 is certainly an excellent device, but I would also suggest the Moto X, which many would suggest as a perfect transition phone for prior iPhone users. The interface is fairly close to "vanilla" Android (i.e., unadulterated Android, which you would find on Nexus devices)--but the features they do add can be very helpful (like Active Notifications, and the ability to give voice commands any time without picking up and unlocking the phone).

Good luck with your decision!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for the Moto X.
B. Diddy pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the Kindle version of Android. I have one as well and it is collecting dust somewhere.
Have you tried any of those devices in store yet to see you if you like other versions of Android?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From one who has an M8, I think you might like it. The Amazon version of Android is almost a mockery of that which is Android, and at the same time demonstrates what Android can be: good and bad. Anyone can take Android (minus the Google apps or GApps) and make a version of it. There are almost as many versions of Android as there is Android devices. Many are good, a few are excellent, and there are some that are just downright horrible (thus merging my point with B. Diddy's above).

I have played with Apple devices here and there. The apps are nice, and the OS is pretty smooth. But I will forego those things to have a device that once you turn on the screen, outright says, 'This is my Android; There are many like it, but this one is mine!'

From launchers, keyboards, and widgets, one can modify the UI of Android to their heart's content. And that is out of the box, unrooted. Once you root, it opens up options of Custom Recoveries, Custom ROMs, and features like Xposed Framework, they redefine the word Custom.

I have run into many Apple to Android users on this forum. Many are always like: 'Wow! I am impressed.' Some are like: 'I want to like it but ...'. Many of those who go back to Apple, I always wish them the best. It can be unnerving to make a change like this. Be it how committed you are to the ecosystem, or just outright change, I am always happy people give the OS a chance.

If you are using an upgrade, most carriers will give you 10 to 14 days to exchange the device. That is your window to try something new.

If you would like other suggestions: The Nexus 5 or Moto X. Very plain, but among the most responsive of Android. The S5 is a nice device, but I think you might notice some delays going from Apple to Samsung. HTC is pretty smooth, but probably not as much as Vanilla Android (what you would see on the Nexus 5).

If you want to test the water, but not commit with a phone, you can see about getting a used or just buying a Nexus tablet. That will allow you to play with the Google ecosystem without fully committing to a daily device. Another option is Verizon has the Moto G (similar to the X), for about $100. Probably the cheapest way to experience Android with a respectable device.

If anything we have said was confusing, by all means ask us to elaborate.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
S5 adn LG is not for you, it is very UI heavy and cluttered, the opposite of iOS. Stock android and HTC Sense are more bearable. So look at the Moto X 2014 or HTC M8.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I want to try an android phone (m8 or s5) but I'm really don't know if I would like the "android experience" or not. I currently own a Kindle Fire HD (older version) and if smartphone android experiences are like my Kindle then I would certainly not buy it. I love my Kindle but it can't replace my love for iOS. iOS is great and I love how polished it feels but it seems like apple releases the same stuff over and over and the iPhone 6 seems too much of the same.
On my Kindle the twitter app sucks. It refreshes weird and I feel like I don't get notifications right away like on iOS. I just think that apps might just be better on iOS. And if that's true then its a deal breaker for me.
If apps are you biggest priority, yes, you should stay on iOS.

I personally do not have a problem with Android apps, but it is a given that iOS apps, on average, are more polished. This may change with Android L, but not until early 2015 at the soonest.

Please tell me your opinions. I want to switch because iOS/iPhone seems like the same old and the 6 seems too much like a basic phone.
Well, from your post it sounds like you are ok with the same old. If you are going to switch to Android at all, I would advise you to stick with a Nexus device or maybe a Moto X. They are the only devices that will supply an iOS-like experience on Android.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
As said by others here, Kindle Fire is NOT Android. It's a skin, or layered UI, on top of Android. I personally hate kindle fires. They are way too limited feeling. Android on phones is much more robust and open to customizing nearly to your hearts content.

Posted via Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
On my Kindle the twitter app sucks. It refreshes weird and I feel like I don't get notifications right away like on iOS. I just think that apps might just be better on iOS. And if that's true then its a deal breaker for me. Or maybe it's just my Kindle.

Please tell me your opinions. I want to switch because iOS/iPhone seems like the same old and the 6 seems too much like a basic phone. The only thing holding me back is the quality of the apps. I have played with these phones in stores but as you probably know, phones are WAY different in real world experience.

Posted via the Android Central App
If you like tinkering and learning new things Android is perfect. If you want it to just work out of the box without learning or tinkering stick with iphone. I love Android but I love learning and tinkering.

tko_49

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Like the OP I have also decided to make the move to Android, and my only experience is with the Kindle Fire HDX. However, if I thought the Kindle Fire was a good representation of Android I would never make the switch (I know its a bad overlay). I had the iPhone 6 for 3 days, but decided to return it because it just did not feel like it met my needs or expectations any longer (if that makes sense). Like the OP stated, iOS has gotten stale and boring. I am about 98 percent sure I will make the switch this weekend, narrowing my choices to the Moto X (2014) or the LG G3. But, I do get nervous when I keep reading that Android apps are not as polished as iOS. Can someone explain what does that mean? Do Android apps have a tendency to crash more. I only use the most commons apps (FB, Twitter, Instagram, banking, news). At this time I am confident of my decision, but I don't want to regret my decision.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't really see the "lack of polish." Major apps on Android work very well, and look great too--especially the ones that adhere to Google's Material Design guidelines. Ironically, the apps that look like they're just porting over the iOS version are the ones that look unpolished.

Apps may force stop from time to time, but if it's a recurring issue for an app, the developer will typically be on it quickly. It's easy to give feedback to developers.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Like the OP I have also decided to make the move to Android, and my only experience is with the Kindle Fire HDX. However, if I thought the Kindle Fire was a good representation of Android I would never make the switch (I know its a bad overlay). I had the iPhone 6 for 3 days, but decided to return it because it just did not feel like it met my needs or expectations any longer (if that makes sense). Like the OP stated, iOS has gotten stale and boring. I am about 98 percent sure I will make the switch this weekend, narrowing my choices to the Moto X (2014) or the LG G3. But, I do get nervous when I keep reading that Android apps are not as polished as iOS. Can someone explain what does that mean? Do Android apps have a tendency to crash more. I only use the most commons apps (FB, Twitter, Instagram, banking, news). At this time I am confident of my decision, but I don't want to regret my decision.

Hi, I'm going to get hell for saying this, but I honestly think it's not necessarily the apps that are unpolished compared to IOS, but rather Android itself.

That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not the same as ios. I'm extremely happy with my decision to switch from ios to android, especially after seeing the new iPhone 6... so ugly, and still looks the same as 2007, and feels limited.

I occasionally use my wife's iPhone 5 (not because of Android limitations but just to help the wife out with stuff) and really can't stand it.

If you honestly are bored with ios and have an open mind about trying something new, android can be fun. I want to try all the mobile os's out eventually, but right now I'm really skeptical of Windows phone lol.

Posted via Android Central App