I am coming from Windows Phone Lumia family but Confused between HTC One M8($700) or Xperia Z2(not Z3)($700).Need some recommendations which is overall better phone.Both phones are so equally good which makes choosing one difficult.I love the premium metal finish on HTC and the dust and water resistance on Z2.Or should I skip both because Sony and HTC both have very poor reputation in terms of supporting their older devices(HTC One X,Xperia S, L,SP,etc) and just get either Nexus 5 32GB($550) or Moto X 2014($550) ? My main requirements are good battery life and long term support for Android updates.I dont really care for camera quality.So any helpful advice would be appreciated.
    09-30-2014 02:57 AM
    With htc advantage policy htc guarantees your phone with updates for upciming years..google htc advantage..and i get two full days of battery with full time 3g on.and i browse alot...go for m8 if u r looking for a premium device...which doesnt get old by design or software...I AM A PROUD USER OF HTC M8
    09-30-2014 07:10 AM
    If you want updates almost immediately, then Motorola or nexus is the way to go. I think battery life is going to be dependent on your use but I've heard the best out of Sony in the ones you listed. Moto seems to be getting people through the day and I'm not sure about HTC. I had a Moto x 2013 and skipped the 2014 because I was wanting ore battery life, smaller size and I work outside so I'm sick of amoled screens in the sun. I ordered a Sony z3 compact that is due to arrive today. Good size (for me) reports of 2 day battery life, front speakers, water/dust proof, powerful. $500 shipped

Posted via Android Central App
    09-30-2014 08:56 AM
    As soon as you say "I really don't care for camera quality", the immediate answer is the Moto X 2014. It's all around a great phone with very premium built, I like it a bit more than the M8 design honestly, mainly the front is much cleaner.

The X camera is going to do a good job in day light but in low light it gets pretty grainy. For the battery life, it's not a very big battery, but I have no problem getting 4hours of screen on time with medium use, it have a pretty good standby time as well.

The M8 have a few things going for it as well. I likely out do the Moto X in term of battery. The camera is lower megapixel, but is better for low light. It have microSD slot which can be a big deal for some people. It have an IR blaster you can use as remote controller. It also have FM radio and MHL support (to connect to TV) which the Moto X does not.

Between the X and M8, I wouldn't worry about the speakers, while the X only have one front speaker, it's pretty loud and clear.

In term of long term support and updates, the X is going to be the best choice, Motorola update faster than any other manufacturers right now and they'll likely to get the latest version of Android first (after the Nexus phones). Overall I choose the X because of their Moto softwares which are extremely useful features that aren't just gimmicks, its the thing that make it stand out compared to the rest.

I wouldn't get a Nexus 5 right now because there are better phones out there, it is still one of the fastest phone, not because it have the fastest CPU anymore, but because of the stock Android it's running. It however, will get Android L, the next version of Android, which is rumor to improve the battery on it by a little. Nexus phones is what you should get if you want the cleanest and simplest Android experience with first priority in getting latest Android versions, but you may also need to do more hand on work to customize the phone to the way you like. In the past, Nexus phones tend to always be a compromise in hardware, usually lacking in some area like battery life, camera or storage space (usually all three at the sametime). However, there is Nexus 6 coming, but it is rumor to be a 5.9" phone, from the rumored specifications, it seems the hardware on this one will rival with the flagships this time, the specs seems even better than the Moto X.
    mohit9206 likes this.
    09-30-2014 09:37 AM
    As soon as you say "I really don't care for camera quality", the immediate answer is the Moto X 2014. It's all around a great phone with very premium built, I like it a bit more than the M8 design honestly, mainly the front is much cleaner. The X camera is going to do a good job in day light but in low light it gets pretty grainy. For the battery life, it's not a very big battery, but I have no problem getting 4hours of screen on time with medium use, it have a pretty good standby time as well. The M8 have a few things going for it as well. I likely out do the Moto X in term of battery. The camera is lower megapixel, but is better for low light. It have microSD slot which can be a big deal for some people. It have an IR blaster you can use as remote controller. It also have FM radio and MHL support (to connect to TV) which the Moto X does not. Between the X and M8, I wouldn't worry about the speakers, while the X only have one front speaker, it's pretty loud and clear. In term of long term support and updates, the X is going to be the best choice, Motorola update faster than any other manufacturers right now and they'll likely to get the latest version of Android first (after the Nexus phones). Overall I choose the X because of their Moto softwares which are extremely useful features that aren't just gimmicks, its the thing that make it stand out compared to the rest. I wouldn't get a Nexus 5 right now because there are better phones out there, it is still one of the fastest phone, not because it have the fastest CPU anymore, but because of the stock Android it's running. It however, will get Android L, the next version of Android, which is rumor to improve the battery on it by a little. Nexus phones is what you should get if you want the cleanest and simplest Android experience with first priority in getting latest Android versions, but you may also need to do more hand on work to customize the phone to the way you like. In the past, Nexus phones tend to always be a compromise in hardware, usually lacking in some area like battery life, camera or storage space (usually all three at the sametime). However, there is Nexus 6 coming, but it is rumor to be a 5.9" phone, from the rumored specifications, it seems the hardware on this one will rival with the flagships this time, the specs seems even better than the Moto X.
    Thanks I think I will go for Moto X but the 5.2 inch screen seems too big for my small hands.Should I rather save some cash and opt for the smaller Moto X 2013 for $350 ? Am not concerned with having the latest and greatest so i feel it should be good enough.
    09-30-2014 12:02 PM
    Thanks I think I will go for Moto X but the 5.2 inch screen seems too big for my small hands.Should I rather save some cash and opt for the smaller Moto X 2013 for $350 ? Am not concerned with having the latest and greatest so i feel it should be good enough.
    If you don't mind a slight drop in performance. The 2013 version will run stock Android just fine and very smoothly. The only time it will slow down is while you are installing apps. It will see a better improvement with the new Android L since it will use the new Android runtime which will give a boost in performance. Also Motorola said they will port the new features from the 2014 version to the 2013 as long as the hardware support it, so you won't miss out much.

Personally if I was to get the 2013 version, I would go for the 64gb version.

The original X have a slight longer battery life than the new one.
    09-30-2014 01:32 PM