Will there be a limit to cell phone sizes?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
What is the practical limit? I know people won't be carrying around 10" cell phones, but what in your opinion of the largest one can carry and hold in one hand?

It wouldn't surprise me to see 6.7" with no bezel to speak of. Your thoughts?

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We've seen the first "bendable" displays hit the market over the past year. We've had the LG G Flex, the Galaxy Round, and the Galaxy Note Edge. I think that we're slowly moving towards bendable, retractable screens, and that will make the screen size a moot point (as the object you carry in your pocket would be significantly smaller than it is when you pull it out to use it).

But until that happens a few years from now, screens will continue to get bigger. Last year, 5" was the standard. This year, it was 5.2". Next year, it looks like it will be 5.5". I think we'll ultimately make our way up to about 6-6.5" before the bendable screens end the "size wars" for good.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I personally think that once they cross the 6 inch mark, they are in tablet territory
I am fine with my GS5 size, though I wish it wasn't as wide
And I don't agree with the bendable screens, I think it is one of the stupidest ideas like ever. I really hope that does not become standard.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
We've seen the first "bendable" displays hit the market over the past year. We've had the LG G Flex, the Galaxy Round, and the Galaxy Note Edge. I think that we're slowly moving towards bendable, retractable screens, and that will make the screen size a moot point (as the object you carry in your pocket would be significantly smaller than it is when you pull it out to use it).

But until that happens a few years from now, screens will continue to get bigger. Last year, 5" was the standard. This year, it was 5.2". Next year, it looks like it will be 5.5". I think we'll ultimately make our way up to about 6-6.5" before the bendable screens end the "size wars" for good.

Isn't the Note 4 a 5.7 inch display ?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the flagships this year ranged from 5.0 inches (m8) up to the note 4 (5.7 inches)

pjs37

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I think 6" is hitting the limits of what people want. People are complaining the 5.5" of the iPhone 6 Plus is too big; the Lumia 1520 is always a battle between specs and size. I mean these phones are barely fitting in people's pockets as it is. I mean we could see a small increase is we can eliminate bezels but not very much you still need a FFC and ear speaker. In my work slacks with bigger pockets I can squeeze my Nexus 7 in there but its heavy and uncomfortable. But my regular jeans I wear forget it I doubt I can fit anything much bigger then what I have in.

I think the limit is that: When people cannot fit their phones in their pockets anymore that will be the limit to the screen size. Well until we can unroll our phones.

kud1aty

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
6 inches is a good size. I can put it in my pocket and i like work with it.

But who knows, maybe next big phone will be 8" and will be sold with a pair of specially designed jeans.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The industry will keep making it bigger and bigger without stopping until less and less people buy it and they will be forced to make it smaller. Then they will market "small" as an innovative new feature and charge more money at the same time.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The industry will keep making it bigger and bigger without stopping until less and less people buy it and they will be forced to make it smaller. Then they will market "small" as an innovative new feature and charge more money at the same time.

Yep, that's how it works

KnicksALLday

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
i hope 5.5 is the limit because i cant stand these huge phones... it just sucks that high end phones are only made on big screens... but i prefer a smaller phone and 4.7 is the perfect size but i wouldnt mind something slightly smaller and still be a high end phone