Does Samsung Galaxy S4 gets android updates forever?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Does Samsung Galaxy S4 gets android updates forever? Will I be able to get the latest android version free? Thanks.

I read that some phones expect "one operating system update": "it's up to your phone- or tablet maker whether it wants to release new operating system updates for your model, and it is under no obligation to do so. If you have a high-end, flagship phone such as the Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 or LG G3, you can reasonably expect that your manufacturer will provide at least one operating system update." source How to update Android OS | Smartphones and tablets - PC Advisor

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What does one update mean? Does it mean that S4 come with Windows 7 and will provide minor Win7 updates, and Samsung will provide one update to Windows 8 and will provide Win 8 minor updates. From Windows 9 and onwards I would need to buy a new phone to update? (Sorry, I am not sure about android stuff, newbie here. I am using Windows so I am just using windows as example of what I want to say about Android, I guess each new android snack name (kitkat, jellybean...) is a new android version just like new windows (win7, win8...).

What happens if I no longer receive new updates?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What does one update mean? Does it mean that S4 come with Windows 7 and will provide minor Win7 updates, and Samsung will provide one update to Windows 8 and will provide Win 8 minor updates. From Windows 9 and onwards I would need to buy a new phone to update? (Sorry, I am not sure about android stuff, newbie here. I am using Windows so I am just using windows as example of what I want to say about Android, I guess each new android snack name (kitkat, jellybean...) is a new android version just like new windows (win7, win8...).

Then you can continue to use the phone with the old version until it dies, but you may eventually be exposed to security issues that are fixed on newer version. Also you will lose out on whatever new Android features.

Do not expect forever update from any phones, even if it's an Apple device. The only Android phone that will guarantee good update are Google Nexus devices, generally they keep the phone up to date for 2 years period. Out of that, all bets are off for any other Android devices. Motorola is best of the rest when it come to updates, they generally update their phones soon after the Nexus. Nexus and Motorala are the two that I would go for if you want faster and longer updates. Generally, but not always, the unlocked, carrier-free version of a phone tend to get updates faster than the carrier-locked (aka carrier branded) version.

With that said, I don't see updates from a Nexus device the same as updates from companies that use their own custom Android firmware like Samsung or LG. Pure stock Android when get updates get all the changes intended by Google. Third party manufacturers who don't use stock Android for their phones can make heavy changes to the operating system, so some small details may not be the same.

(I remembered Kit Kat on the S4 didn't have ART (Android runtime mode) which is available for most other phones using KitKat. And the LG devices I've used so far have big issues using ART. Because of this I believe there will be somewhat of a delay for the recent (non-stock Android) phones to receive Android L update, because they have to make their software compatible with ART.)

The only other way to update your phone if it is no longer supported officially is to rely on the custom rom community, XDA forum is the main place to go to to discuss about custom roms. CyanogenMod is the most popular custom rom and they have newer version of Android in their roms for various older devices. There is a lengthy process to install one of these custom roms and it will void your warranty and you also risk permanently bricking your device if you do it wrong. Sometimes it is not possible, because carrier-locked phones have lots of security that make it harder or impossible to unlock the bootloader. An unlocked bootloader is required to install third party roms to the phone, all Google Nexus devices can be bootloader unlocked by the user (unless it is a carrier-locked Nexus device). On top of that, Samsung devices in itself tend to have more security now due to Samsung Knox.

The simplest option is get either Google Nexus or Motorola devices.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Then you'll be running an old version of Android. Whether or not your phone will continue to receive new features of Android as they're announced in new versions is up in the air. Your apps will likely continue to work, unless your phone is REALLY old.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Learn from many of the mistakes made: buy unlocked phones such as Nexus or one plus. These phones should give you updates for 2-3 years.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Learn from many of the mistakes made: buy unlocked phones such as Nexus or one plus. These phones should give you updates for 2-3 years.

1. What does unlocked phones mean?

2. If I root my Samsung S4 does it mean it is an unlocked phone?

3. If I root my Samsung S4 will I get more android updates?

4. Before rooting where does S4 communicate/get android latest version? Is it from Samsung or Android?

5. After rooting where does S4 communicate/get android latest version? Is it from Samsung or Android?

6. Is Android updates supplied by Android or Phone manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Nexus...?

(My thinking is that Android is like Windows, and Phone manufacturers Samsung, HTC, Nexus are like PC manufacturers Dell, HP, IBM)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
1. What does unlocked phones mean?

2. If I root my Samsung S4 does it mean it is an unlocked phone?

3. If I root my Samsung S4 will I get more android updates?

4. Before rooting where does S4 communicate/get android latest version? Is it from Samsung or Android?

5. After rooting where does S4 communicate/get android latest version? Is it from Samsung or Android?

6. Is Android updates supplied by Android or Phone manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Nexus...?

(My thinking is that Android is like Windows, and Phone manufacturers Samsung, HTC, Nexus are like PC manufacturers Dell, HP, IBM)
1. Unlocked phones generally refer to phones that are not carrier branded and come with sim unocked. It is not tied to any carrier contracts, do not have carrier branding on it, and is GSM sim unlocked, so you can put in any GSM sim into it and use the phone (although depending on the region, some phones will not support all the 3G or 4G frequencies required by your carrier).

There is another term called unlocked bootloader, which is not the same as unlocked sim. Unlocked bootloader as I previously said, allow you to install third party firmware/roms onto the phone, and root it. Usually, unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty unless the manufacturer said otherwise. Usually it is easier to unlock the bootloader of unlocked phones than carrier locked phones.

2. No. If you want to sim unlock your phone you can ask your carrier for the unlock code or pay an online service that will sell you the code.

As for unlocking the bootloader, that is more complicated and depend on which device you use, usually you should either Google it or ask at XDA forum. Remember most carrier branded phones on AT&T and Verizon are very hard or impossible to unlock the bootloader. T-Mobile is more lenient.

3. No, read here to know what root does. The updates are depended on Samsung and your carrier if your device is carrier branded. The companies have to release the software and make it available for the phone.

4. The process of creating a new firmware for a phone by the manufacturers are complex, it have to go through many processes. This chart is a good example: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.jpg&token=kZtTjutp

5. The same thing as before, if the phone even allows it. Mainly, when a phone is rooted, once you install an over the air update, if the update work, it will wipe out root, and you will lose root in the process. With Nexus devices, there are lots of checks in the update, so if it detect any changes in the /system partition, which is changed when you root the device, then the update will fail to work and you will soft brick your device (soft brick mean the phone will no longer boot, but you can flash the factory firmware to restore it).

My experience with some Galaxy phones is that it have Knox, which is a Samsung security feature. If you "trip Knox" or make a "flash count", which means it detects you flashed a third image to the phone, it will prevent you from receiving any future Samsung over the air updates. Although you can still flash the firmware manually or you can try to use use Chainfire's "TriangleAway" method to disable that flash count.

6. Google Nexus devices get update directly from Google (unless it is locked to a carrier). Unlocked carrier-free devices get updates from the manufacturer. Carrier branded devices get updates from the carrier. See the HTC chart above.

I forgot to mention, aside from Nexus devices, there are also "Google Play edition" devices and "Android One" devices. These two aren't Nexus devices, but they use stock Android and will receive updates sooner as well. Nexus and GPe device can be purchases on the Google Playstore, Android One are affordable devices for emerging markets like India. Also it seems like the concept of Google Play edition are dying or not been very popular with the manufacturers, so there aren't many available anymore, also they tend to be overpriced imo.

Also, some manufacturers also release version of their phones called "Developer edition", which will allow you to unlock the bootloader and not lose your warranty, but they also cost more than the regular version.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's why I toss the stock roms the instant I get the phone out of the box. Relying on oem our carriers for updates is a recipe for disappointment. Even Google will cut off devices fairly soon.

Go custom and you'll must likely keep up to date fire as long as you own the thing. If it's a popular device, you're set. The SIII will get LP, but not from Samsung, that's for sure.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That's why I toss the stock roms the instant I get the phone out of the box. Relying on oem our carriers for updates is a recipe for disappointment. Even Google will cut off devices fairly soon.

Go custom and you'll must likely keep up to date fire as long as you own the thing. If it's a popular device, you're set. The SIII will get LP, but not from Samsung, that's for sure.

How to "toss the stock roms"?

How to "Go custom"?

What does get LP mean?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan