NFC Payments are not Apple exclusive..Android phones can do it too

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple Pay today widens the door opened by Google Wallet

As Apple suggests, Apple Pay is already "accepted at 220,000 stores and counting." The icon you see here is not made by Apple, it’s a standard NFC checkout logo. This logo exists out in the wild already, and has existed for some months in some places, and years in others.

... Apple does not have their own hardware implanted in any of these stores - they interact with NFC-based technology that’s swiftly becoming universal.

Apple Pay today widens the door opened by Google Wallet - SlashGear

So if I am understanding this correctly, the NFC payment nodes used at those stores are not exclusive to Apple. They are generic and only require a phone with NFC.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That is a Mastercard's PayPass logo, although you don't need to have a mastercard to use it, just Google Wallet with NFC phone.

Apple NFC is like Apple bluetooth, in the sense that they are restricted and therefor not complete. You can't just pair an Apple device with an Android device with bluetooth and transfer files. In the same way with Apple NFC, it's supposed to work with any nfc speakers, but there are reports from people that it doesn't work with some of particular speakers, but it does with using an Android device.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So if I am understanding this correctly, the NFC payment nodes used at those stores are not exclusive to Apple. They are generic and only require a phone with NFC.

Unless Apple does it,tap to pay doesn't exist? lol...lol because Apple now has a feature that's been in phones for awhile makes it new?lol isheep

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So apple pay is the same as me using google wallet basically ? I read over at imore there's certain credit & debit cards that don't support this, is it the same for Google wallet ?

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No one ever said Apple invented it - but they're going to make it mainstream.

This.

I just want this to become very popular, so I'm routing for Apple to make it happen because I hate carrying my wallet. We don't Google Wallet up here and I'm still waiting for Bell & RBC to make the G3 compatible with NFC PayPass.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why wait for apple when other's have been doing this for years? Unless apple does it, noone will accept it? this is why i despise apple.

If you don't understand the power Apple traditionally holds in mainstreaming new technologies then I really can't explain it to you.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Unless Apple does it,tap to pay doesn't exist? lol...lol because Apple now has a feature that's been in phones for awhile makes it new?lol isheep

Apple didn't invent the smartphone either but look what Apple did to smartphones. Google didn't go out and partner with banks and retailers for Google Wallet. Apple bypassed carriers with Apple Pay unlike Google Wallet that carriers were able to cripple. Like it or not, Apple will make this mainstream which will also help Google Wallet be accepted in a lot more places. I'm sure we will see iPhone commercials advertising this . Google has never advertised Google Wallet on TV probably because it was carrier dependent. I couldn't use Google Wallet on my GS4 because AT&T wanted me to use Isis now Softcard.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Apple still has some serious limitations. Which I guess was predictable.

They only support 4 banks at the moment, and only 3 or 4 credit cards (No Discover card for you).

Here, however, is where the first stumbling blocks for Apple Pay show up: It only works with certain cards from certain banks. First, it'll need to be a Visa, MasterCard or American Express (sorry, Discover Card users) and it'll need to be a card from a participating bank. Launch partners include Bank of America, Capital One, Chase, Citi and Wells Fargo.

And even if your card is from that bank, it's not a guarantee that it's compatible with Apple Pay. Corporate cards, for example, are still a no-go, and a few co-branded cards like Amazon's Chase Visa won't work (Update: Though it didn't at launch, Amazon's Chase card now works with Apple Pay). Google Wallet, however, works with all debit and credit cards. I only managed to add two of my cards to Apple Pay -- a debit card from a local credit union isn't supported -- while Google Wallet accepted all of them.

Dabbling in the future of payment: A week with Apple Pay and Google Wallet

grydlok

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Right now who in their right mind could imagine apple users and Google users combining against a mutual enemy "CurrentC" right now.
This is amazing.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Right now who in their right mind could imagine apple users and Google users combining against a mutual enemy "CurrentC" right now.
This is amazing.

It is kind of ironic to see Apple fighting for an open standard. Guess proprietary standards are a bad thing when they are not Apple-controlled.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple NFC is like Apple bluetooth, in the sense that they are restricted and therefor not complete. You can't just pair an Apple device with an Android device with bluetooth and transfer files.

I'm don't think you understand that Bluetooth is a set of "stacks" that allow different things. Just because Apple doesn't allow you to transfer files via Bluetooth doesn't mean it's incomplete.

In the same way with Apple NFC, it's supposed to work with any nfc speakers, but there are reports from people that it doesn't work with some of particular speakers, but it does with using an Android device.

Are you sure they're supposed to work with "NFC" speakers? From what I understand, those NFC speakers use NFC to initiate Bluetooth pairing between the audio device and the speaker. I think NFC is set up in the same way as Bluetooth stacks - as in, if the device isn't set up to do anything, it's not going to do anything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's put this in perspective.

Google Wallet tap to pay started in what, 2011?

Apple Pay has been available for less than a month.

Who got more press?

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple didn't invent the smartphone either but look what Apple did to smartphones. Google didn't go out and partner with banks and retailers for Google Wallet. Apple bypassed carriers with Apple Pay unlike Google Wallet that carriers were able to cripple. Like it or not, Apple will make this mainstream which will also help Google Wallet be accepted in a lot more places. I'm sure we will see iPhone commercials advertising this . Google has never advertised Google Wallet on TV probably because it was carrier dependent. I couldn't use Google Wallet on my GS4 because AT&T wanted me to use Isis now Softcard.

You mean what blackberry did for smartphones