What's Keeping Gingerbread?

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It's been nearly a month now since Google unveiled the giant gingerbread man on their campus and as of right now there has been no solid sign of when it will be with us, so obviously people have been asking, where the hell is Gingerbread? I would like to run through a few theories on the delay, they split neatly into 3 categories (there is a 4th but we will come to that later), Software, Hardware and Services.

Software

Simply put, Gingerbread may not be done, either they ran into some delay with the coding or found some bug very late on which has caused them to go back and fix it. I find the first Idea unlikely, as I don't think they would put up the statue till they were ready and since they proper definition of ready would mean that they had thoroughly tested the code I don't see the second one being likely.

Hardware

This concerns the unconfirmed Nexus S phone from Samsung which was supposedly going to be launched with Gingerbread. Rumour has it this has either been delayed by a hardware problem or completely pulled to be replaced by a better phone. Unless the phone is something different from a Stock Android Galaxy S (which is again what some of the rumours say it is) I cant see how hardware could be the reason and surely neither Samsung nor anyone else has a complete better phone that close to full production that they would decide to replace a model that was on the verge of release.

Services

There's a whole bunch of stuff that Google showed at I/O that might be dropping with Gingerbread and some other things like Near Field technology which will allow you to swipe your phone over a sensor to pay for things. These things take time to set up. We have seen changes to the developers pages for the Market that implies the Web based market may be coming, but things like the music store take a hell of a lot of work to set up just in the negotiations with record labels let alone all the back end and what would be the point of being able to pay for things through your phone if nobody accepts that method of payment. Maybe Google are waiting on a few more signatures so that they have a bigger splash at launch.

That brings me to the 4th option I mentioned. Maybe Gingerbread is not delayed at all. Maybe this is all going as Google planed it. Just because previous updates have come out in a couple of weeks of their statue doesn't make this a law, certainly no one at Google has ever made the link. We are all here because we love Android and obviously we all want the latest and greatest version but just sit tight and it will be here before you know it.

In closing I would just like to share with you the picture I have as my phones current splashscreen.

Got%20Gingerbread.jpg

Reactions: Abe318 and OIK2

russell5

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
my thought is they are going to release it when apple releases 4.2 (or whatever update they have coming.)

PS this is probably so far from the truth

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Was the original post:
[ ] Completely obvious
[ ] Totally obvious
[ ] Simply obvious
[ ] All of the above

Yes it is probably delayed for one of those reasons. Now we can start hearing all of the "I have no patience, Google needs to release it now cause I said so."

Then after they release we can hear all of the "Geeze this is so buggy, why didn't they hold the release until it was perfect."

I feel like I am on a Blizzard forum.

--
Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Was the original post:
[ ] Completely obvious
[ ] Totally obvious
[ ] Simply obvious
[ ] All of the above

Actually, it was pretty well thought out and pretty well explained. I'm in the "All according to plan" category -- I think. If they really wanted to launch it with the Nexus S (and I'm not sold on that) and the rumors of the NS are true, that could explain it. But I'm not sold on that.

That said, it HAS just about been a month since the statue appeared, and that's a long time, compared to the other releases.

douglaswilson

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I should get the incredible now or wait for the incredible HD... would anyone know if the incredible be upgradeable to gingerbread? Thanks.

pbcEVO

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread will come out after black friday.. too much hype with the sales of that and after that day people focus on christmas and those sales and new items begin to launch.. look for gingerbread the first week of december.

pbcEVO

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Dont get any droid, if i was you i would wait for samsung to release the rumored phone with a tegra 2 , the phone will have good hardware and samsung uses some of the best screens. the only thing they lack is a interface like htc's sense. the phone should be released early 2011.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think they overbaked the gingerbread and it's hard as a rock so they are waiting for the "merita bread" to soften it up in the tupperware.

Seriously though. They will release when they are ready too.

dhero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Seems like if there was a holdup / change of direction with the next Nexus hardware platform, it would explain why Google debuted Gingerbread and then nothing much happened. Google could also hold it up until they're ready with their own Nexus hardware. On the other hand, what is being trumpeted that woukd be particularly useful for the carriers? Especially when many top shelf phones (Samsung Galaxy series, and others) have still not received the froyo 2.2 updates in the USA.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Dont get any droid, if i was you i would wait for samsung to release the rumored phone with a tegra 2 , the phone will have good hardware and samsung uses some of the best screens. the only thing they lack is a interface like htc's sense. the phone should be released early 2011.

Am I the only one that is not big on the Sense UI? If you ask me it's just way too busy...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see just how Google goes about unveiling Gingerbread as well.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Samsung makes its own chips. Why would it do a Tegra 2 phone? Gawd, I hate rumors.

Reactions: Nirvana328

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think that Gingerbread will be presented the last weeks of November and start being rolled out on devices starting December. Gingerbread - December - Christmas - you see a connection. Also if you are planning on getting a device I recomend gettin a Vanilla Android device like the Nexus One or the Nexus S when it comes out because they will get updates before other devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo