12-23-2014 02:56 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm new to anything else but Apple. I just got a Note 4 but am still thinking of it's worth a switch to the Nexus 6. I understand many of us are disappointed with some of the specs built onto the N6 through Motorola. But how come a multi-billion dollar company, such as Google, can't make their own Google brand phone instead of using other third party brands such as Motorola, LG, HTC, etc? If Apple can do it, why can't Google?

If Google made their own phones from scratch, I can pretty much put money on that they would really compete with Apple and probably beat them as far as specs can go. With all the money that Google has (and all of its creative minds behind name) I know they can build a far superior device than all other companies. I would even shell out over $1k for a phone that is worlds ahead of what we have offered today. It's doable, so why don't they try?
    11-13-2014 10:31 AM
    Google just isn't in the hardware business... They are first and foremost a search and ad company.... I'd say 90% of their income is ad/search related... They can develop hardware and then just contract someone to make it for them.... They have no desire to be in the hardware business at all... Heck they only bought Motorola for the patent grab and then sold them off....
    11-13-2014 10:33 AM
    Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to try to expand.
    11-13-2014 10:44 AM
    Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to expand and try.
    Once they learn how to even -launch- the device, then they can think about manufacturing their own.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2014 10:45 AM
    Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to expand and try.
    I for one am not disappointed by the specs at all :]
    It's an improvement; a big step forward.

Disappointment caused by stock is another thing...
    11-13-2014 10:46 AM
    Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to try to expand.
    They've stated over and over again they just build Nexus devices as a reference device for other carriers to build on... They have to build something to test out the latest software in relation to the hardware... Their desire is for the OEM's (LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola) to take what they've built and improve it and make the hardware. a lot of people got worried when they bought Motorola.... Google has to play a balancing act with the Nexus phone and keeping their android partners happy.. They can't appear to be competing too hard with their own partners.... The people they count on to make Android better... They just need us all using their applications and search so they can continue to mine for data and increase their ad revenue and profits..
    Chuondroid and courtneyftw like this.
    11-13-2014 10:49 AM
    I'm new to anything else but Apple. I just got a Note 4 but am still thinking of it's worth a switch to the Nexus 6. I understand many of us are disappointed with some of the specs built onto the N6 through Motorola. But how come a multi-billion dollar company, such as Google, can't make their own Google brand phone instead of using other third party brands such as Motorola, LG, HTC, etc? If Apple can do it, why can't Google?

If Google made their own phones from scratch, I can pretty much put money on that they would really compete with Apple and probably beat them as far as specs can go. With all the money that Google has (and all of its creative minds behind name) I know they can build a far superior device than all other companies. I would even shell out over $1k for a phone that is worlds ahead of what we have offered today. It's doable, so why don't they try?
    Apple doesn't make their own phones either ....foxconn makes them in their manufacturing plant in China
    11-13-2014 12:36 PM
    Bwahahaha Google build their own phone?! They can't even take preorders or orders for more than 10 phones a week made by someone else entirely. I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Robbie317, edgefever and qnet like this.
    11-13-2014 02:11 PM
    Were not the Nexus Phones meant to be for developers in the first place? and as they rolled out many liked the no frills version, and here we are Today.
    11-13-2014 02:20 PM
    They can't build the 'best' phone due to not being able to top it year after year. Every company needs some failure.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2014 02:32 PM
    In a way they have built their own phone with the Nexus 6. Google used to own Motorola, and I'm sure at the time the Nexus 6 was being worked on. When they first purchased Motorola this is what most of us hard-core Nexus fans were hoping for, a Google-owned Motorola Nexus.

You can see the influence from Google even in the Moto X. It's not the same as Apple of course. I remember when the Nexus phones just had the manufacture logo and Google stamped on the back. Since they sold Motorola I'm not exactly sure what Google is trying to do.
    11-13-2014 02:54 PM
    Google has to play a balancing act with the Nexus phone and keeping their android partners happy.. They can't appear to be competing too hard with their own partners.... The people they count on to make Android better... They just need us all using their applications and search so they can continue to mine for data and increase their ad revenue and profits..

I think they can throw that notion out the window when you see a Nexus in all major carrier stores.
    11-13-2014 03:07 PM
    I think they can throw that notion out the window when you see a Nexus in all major carrier stores.
    I do think that Google has been frustrated with their OEM suppliers and that is why the Nexus 6 is a more premium device and being pushed out to all the carriers... I know they put new language in the android agreement to push the OEM apps to the back ground and at least push Google apps to the front... Only reason Android is "FREE" is Google makes their money from their search and applications/play store... OEM's pushing their own agenda was cutting into their profits (or potential profits moving forward) that being said I still don't think Google has any desire to be a hardware MFG....
    11-13-2014 03:22 PM
    Apple doesn't make their own phones either ....foxconn makes them in their manufacturing plant in China
    On the literal perspective, yes, Apple doesn't manufacture their iPhones in California, but they did design it, and stamped their logo on their devices. I feel Google should step it up a notch, recognize the wants and needs from their customers, and build the finest phone on earth regardless of their well established relationships with the other major cell phone companies.
    11-13-2014 05:09 PM
    Were not the Nexus Phones meant to be for developers in the first place? and as they rolled out many liked the no frills version, and here we are Today.
    You're apparently right, but today is not tomorrow. Google should think bigger and smarter and that is to tackle Apple head on and get their Google designed phone out sometime in the near future (hopefully before I end up feet first).
    11-13-2014 05:11 PM
    Business model question:

Do you spend a few billion developing a manufacturing chain (that's what it would take), and then lose billions not selling Android to other phone manufacturers who refuse to compete with your cheaper-to-sell phones? Or do you keep reaping billions in software sales?

Tough question, huh? Probably took them less time to figure out an answer than it takes sugar to dissolve in coffee.
    11-13-2014 05:47 PM
    Google has no interest in being like Apple, not that they could even if they wanted to as they can't even handle the release of a phone properly.
    11-13-2014 06:18 PM
    Why doesn't Microsoft build their own computers? Answer: They don't want to. They CAN but why would they? They get paid without it.
    11-13-2014 08:06 PM
    That's not what google wants to do. They are treating the smart phone market like Microsoft treated the pc market. Make the os and get a variety of hardware partners to make the devices. Google is a software company like Microsoft (albeit the Xbox and mobile products). I think Google working with a hardware partner to make a nexus device is the way to go. I only wish they would bring the price back down to Nexus 4 and 5 prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-13-2014 08:37 PM
    That's not what google wants to do. They are treating the smart phone market like Microsoft treated the pc market. Make the os and get a variety of hardware partners to make the devices. Google is a software company like Microsoft (albeit the Xbox and mobile products). I think Google working with a hardware partner to make a nexus device is the way to go. I only wish they would bring the price back down to Nexus 4 and 5 prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see that a lot from folks. The complaint in the past has always been that Nexus devices never really had the greatest specs or the latest processor and people always wish they would have included them.

Now they include them and have a price that shows it and people wish the price was lower. You can't have champagne taste and a beer pocketbook. Well, I guess you can but you won't drink.
    11-13-2014 08:42 PM
    Actually I believe the big change is the Samsung / Google relationship. Samsung is now using their own phone operating system more and more and it is just a matter of time before the S and Note series get them. So now Google is looking to dominate the phablet space themselves... Not necessarily to make money on hardware but to drive dominance of their eco system.. I guess we will soon see how well they do with the Nexus 6...
    11-14-2014 01:19 AM
    Because they just don't need to
    12-21-2014 04:20 PM
    Not sure I get this post, I prefer Android products over Apple, you make it seem like Android lags Apple products but Android far outsells Apple. Google builds an Android open source platform that supports their product platforms and they make money off of it. Manufacturing isn't their core so why would they begin and dilute what they're good at? They're propelling this world forward in a way that gizmo producing Apple can't dream of.

Just stick with Apple products if you're not happy with the Android IMO, plenty of options for everyone who decides to invest in this type of technology.

BTW...I have MacBook Pro, iPad, Apple TV, Apple routers, but their phones do nothing for me. I feel they've been passed over long ago by Android in that area.

BTW...a phone is only as good as the software that drives it.
    12-21-2014 05:21 PM
    google has a strategy to keep alliances for android.
    12-22-2014 06:58 PM
    I do think that Google has been frustrated with their OEM suppliers and that is why the Nexus 6 is a more premium device and being pushed out to all the carriers... I know they put new language in the android agreement to push the OEM apps to the back ground and at least push Google apps to the front... Only reason Android is "FREE" is Google makes their money from their search and applications/play store... OEM's pushing their own agenda was cutting into their profits (or potential profits moving forward) that being said I still don't think Google has any desire to be a hardware MFG....
    Well said. Look at the evidence... requiring "Powered by Android" on every boot splash screen. Tightening down the requirements for installed apps and homescreen placement, etc. Move after move that can only mean that Google is trying to tell OEMs to stop screwing around. They acquired a failing Motorola, helped them develop the Moto line. Each of those phones are, essentially, Nexus devices with a bit of Moto seasoning sprinkled in... end result is a lineup of wildly popular and critically praised phones.... What does Google then do? Sent them off to Lenovo! It's as if Google just said "You morons... here, give me that OEM... THERE! That is how you do it! Now get your heads out of your asses."

If Google wanted to make, or more accurately keep making their own hardware, they would have kept Motorola and fully integrated it into Google.
    Robbie317 likes this.
    12-23-2014 01:39 PM
27 12