Why can't Google make their own phones?

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to anything else but Apple. I just got a Note 4 but am still thinking of it's worth a switch to the Nexus 6. I understand many of us are disappointed with some of the specs built onto the N6 through Motorola. But how come a multi-billion dollar company, such as Google, can't make their own Google brand phone instead of using other third party brands such as Motorola, LG, HTC, etc? If Apple can do it, why can't Google?

If Google made their own phones from scratch, I can pretty much put money on that they would really compete with Apple and probably beat them as far as specs can go. With all the money that Google has (and all of its creative minds behind name) I know they can build a far superior device than all other companies. I would even shell out over $1k for a phone that is worlds ahead of what we have offered today. It's doable, so why don't they try?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Google just isn't in the hardware business... They are first and foremost a search and ad company.... I'd say 90% of their income is ad/search related... They can develop hardware and then just contract someone to make it for them.... They have no desire to be in the hardware business at all... Heck they only bought Motorola for the patent grab and then sold them off....

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to try to expand.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to expand and try.

Once they learn how to even -launch- the device, then they can think about manufacturing their own.

Posted via the Android Central App

courtneyftw

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to expand and try.

I for one am not disappointed by the specs at all :]
It's an improvement; a big step forward.

Disappointment caused by stock is another thing... :p

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but that shouldn't limit them from building their own phones is what I'm trying to say. If Google starts noticing that many possible customers are getting disappointed by specs from HTC, Sam, LG, and now Moto carrying the Nexus name year after year - wouldn't they say ENOUGH! We shall build the perfect and best Google Phone? They HAVE the money. And any business knows that in order to dominate you have to try to expand.

They've stated over and over again they just build Nexus devices as a reference device for other carriers to build on... They have to build something to test out the latest software in relation to the hardware... Their desire is for the OEM's (LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola) to take what they've built and improve it and make the hardware. a lot of people got worried when they bought Motorola.... Google has to play a balancing act with the Nexus phone and keeping their android partners happy.. They can't appear to be competing too hard with their own partners.... The people they count on to make Android better... They just need us all using their applications and search so they can continue to mine for data and increase their ad revenue and profits..

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to anything else but Apple. I just got a Note 4 but am still thinking of it's worth a switch to the Nexus 6. I understand many of us are disappointed with some of the specs built onto the N6 through Motorola. But how come a multi-billion dollar company, such as Google, can't make their own Google brand phone instead of using other third party brands such as Motorola, LG, HTC, etc? If Apple can do it, why can't Google?

If Google made their own phones from scratch, I can pretty much put money on that they would really compete with Apple and probably beat them as far as specs can go. With all the money that Google has (and all of its creative minds behind name) I know they can build a far superior device than all other companies. I would even shell out over $1k for a phone that is worlds ahead of what we have offered today. It's doable, so why don't they try?

Apple doesn't make their own phones either ....foxconn makes them in their manufacturing plant in China

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Bwahahaha Google build their own phone?! They can't even take preorders or orders for more than 10 phones a week made by someone else entirely. I wouldn't hold your breath.

anon(42522)

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Were not the Nexus Phones meant to be for developers in the first place? and as they rolled out many liked the no frills version, and here we are Today.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
In a way they have built their own phone with the Nexus 6. Google used to own Motorola, and I'm sure at the time the Nexus 6 was being worked on. When they first purchased Motorola this is what most of us hard-core Nexus fans were hoping for, a Google-owned Motorola Nexus.

You can see the influence from Google even in the Moto X. It's not the same as Apple of course. I remember when the Nexus phones just had the manufacture logo and Google stamped on the back. Since they sold Motorola I'm not exactly sure what Google is trying to do.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Google has to play a balancing act with the Nexus phone and keeping their android partners happy.. They can't appear to be competing too hard with their own partners.... The people they count on to make Android better... They just need us all using their applications and search so they can continue to mine for data and increase their ad revenue and profits..

I think they can throw that notion out the window when you see a Nexus in all major carrier stores.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think they can throw that notion out the window when you see a Nexus in all major carrier stores.

I do think that Google has been frustrated with their OEM suppliers and that is why the Nexus 6 is a more premium device and being pushed out to all the carriers... I know they put new language in the android agreement to push the OEM apps to the back ground and at least push Google apps to the front... Only reason Android is "FREE" is Google makes their money from their search and applications/play store... OEM's pushing their own agenda was cutting into their profits (or potential profits moving forward) that being said I still don't think Google has any desire to be a hardware MFG....

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Apple doesn't make their own phones either ....foxconn makes them in their manufacturing plant in China

On the literal perspective, yes, Apple doesn't manufacture their iPhones in California, but they did design it, and stamped their logo on their devices. I feel Google should step it up a notch, recognize the wants and needs from their customers, and build the finest phone on earth regardless of their well established relationships with the other major cell phone companies.

Chuondroid

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Were not the Nexus Phones meant to be for developers in the first place? and as they rolled out many liked the no frills version, and here we are Today.

You're apparently right, but today is not tomorrow. Google should think bigger and smarter and that is to tackle Apple head on and get their Google designed phone out sometime in the near future (hopefully before I end up feet first).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Business model question:

Do you spend a few billion developing a manufacturing chain (that's what it would take), and then lose billions not selling Android to other phone manufacturers who refuse to compete with your cheaper-to-sell phones? Or do you keep reaping billions in software sales?

Tough question, huh? Probably took them less time to figure out an answer than it takes sugar to dissolve in coffee.

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Google has no interest in being like Apple, not that they could even if they wanted to as they can't even handle the release of a phone properly.

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
That's not what google wants to do. They are treating the smart phone market like Microsoft treated the pc market. Make the os and get a variety of hardware partners to make the devices. Google is a software company like Microsoft (albeit the Xbox and mobile products). I think Google working with a hardware partner to make a nexus device is the way to go. I only wish they would bring the price back down to Nexus 4 and 5 prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
That's not what google wants to do. They are treating the smart phone market like Microsoft treated the pc market. Make the os and get a variety of hardware partners to make the devices. Google is a software company like Microsoft (albeit the Xbox and mobile products). I think Google working with a hardware partner to make a nexus device is the way to go. I only wish they would bring the price back down to Nexus 4 and 5 prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that a lot from folks. The complaint in the past has always been that Nexus devices never really had the greatest specs or the latest processor and people always wish they would have included them.

Now they include them and have a price that shows it and people wish the price was lower. You can't have champagne taste and a beer pocketbook. Well, I guess you can but you won't drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674