I'm up for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide between the Note 4, S5, or the G3. Any pros or cons for each phone. My current phone is an S3
    12-14-2014 08:45 AM
    Note 4, to me, is the best device I have ever owned.
    The metal frame makes the phone feel amazing in the hand.
    I am in love with the look and feel of the Note 4. I sometimes pick my note up just to hold it, feel it.

S5 is great but its going to be replaced in the next 2-4 months. Maybe it's just me but I won't buy a phone thats already near a year old.

G3 is great too, feels good in the hand, but I think the screen looks a little washed out when I hold it next to my Note 4 screen.

Not to mention the Note 4 camera is the best on the market (other than the WP Nokia 1520 20mp Zeiss, but who wants WP?)

btw, I am not a samsung fanboy. I am not really a samsung fan at all. I loved the Moto X 2014 as well. my 2nd fav phone in the world.
    12-14-2014 09:36 AM
    There are tons of advantages to each of those phones, and each one has things that make it "better" then the others. All of them are a vast improvement over your S3. Earlier this fall I upgraded my S4 to the G3. Part of it was initial cost - the G3 was on sale where the S5 wasn't. I could have gotten the Note 3 (my carrier didn't have the Note4 yet) but it felt like a the S4, just bigger - and I wasn't convinced I'd be using the S-pen that much anyway. Personally I much prefer LG's skin over Android then Samsung's - but then again if you're used to the S3, its a very easy transition to a newer Samsung.

I really like my G3, it's a much better phone (in my opinion) then the S4, but I'm sure there are people who would argue that. For me and my usage it's pretty much perfect. There are only 2 things I miss or wish I could change. I like the screen size (5.5 inch) but I prefer Samsung's AMOLED screen technology over LG's LCD. Not saying either one is perfect, but I really like the slightly over-saturated colors and almost perfect blacks that you get with AMOLED. The other thing is build quality. I find Samsung has done an incredible job with their battery door and it's latch system. I haven't removed the battery door from either my S4 or my G3 very much (and probably even less on my G3 compared to the S4). However the G3 developed creaks and slight flex in my hand that I never experienced to nearly the same degree on my S4. Overall the plastics and shape feel far better on the G3 (not as slippery, easier to hold), but the S4 didn't develop the creaky, flexy feeling that my G3 has.

Camera is again a matter of taste. The S4 tends to oversaturate the pictures and make them slightly brighter overall then the actual scene. The G3 is slightly undersaturated (colors are more muted and dull) but the exposure seems to be more accurate and even. Also, the G3 camera has optical image stabilization that the S4 doesn't - BUT the S4's stock camera app has far more options, settings and control over your shots then the G3. The G3 is very much a point and shoot with little control over the image settings.

Size - none of these are exactly small devices, but the Note3 felt really awkward to even attempt to one-hand anything. Partly due to shape, partly due to the larger size (and larger bezels compared to the G3).

Now, I realize that I compared a lot to the S4, but it's the phone I have experience with that's closest to the ones you listed. The S5 and the Note 4 are both improved over the S4. Hopefully some of this info helps. Also, the newer the device, the better chance of future updates. Not everyone cares about it but it is something to think about.
    12-14-2014 09:51 AM
    Thanks for the opinions. I usually keep a phone for 2+yrs
    12-14-2014 09:59 AM
    I would say go in and handle them all, and see what feels right. I was going to choose between the Note3 and the G3, but I didn't like how the Note3 felt in my hand - and coming from a S4, I wanted something slightly different. I haven't held a Note4 yet, but it's an amazing device. If your hands can handle it, I'd say it's probably the best of the ones you listed
    12-14-2014 07:10 PM
    All those phones are terrific feature filled powerhouses. I would consider three key factors. 1) Size of your hands/pockets as smaller folks have issues with the monster phablets (as others have suggested, go to the store to physically size them up). 2) Are you a note taking Post It person who is constantly scribbling. 3) Road warrior requirements (replaceable battery). For me the stylus on the GN2 and Samsung's replaceable batteries sealed the deal for me. I no longer carry a little notebook everywhere and I actually have gone a little stylus crazy with all the neat apps and features. As a side note, my GN2 is still a zippy powerhouse so I do not feel compelled to upgrade yet (waterproof GN5 please Samsung!) and the replaceable battery solves the worn out built in battery issues. Finally, if you were a Palm Pilot nerd in a previous life, the Samsung Galaxy Note Line is the way to go. Good luck and happy hunting.
    12-15-2014 11:39 AM
    I think that the S5 was solid but overrated and then Samsung made up for it in a big way with the Note 4, which I think has the best overall features and specs out of any phone. It really has no significant weaknesses if you like TouchWiz, otherwise that is the only one. Its size may be a weakness for some, but lauded by others. The G3 is great in most areas as well (especially: smallest bezel ever), but battery life is disappointing.
    12-17-2014 05:19 PM
    Note 4 is quite impressive, though the Moto Droid and Moto X are also pretty slick!
    12-18-2014 02:26 PM
    Note 4 is quite impressive, though the Moto Droid and Moto X are also pretty slick!
    I assume you're referring to the Droid Turbo? Yes it is... Sorry, as an owner of one I couldn't resist chiming in. But no thread hijacking, back to our regularly scheduled program...
    12-18-2014 03:16 PM
    I have the note 4 and to me the phone works great batter last all day camera is great screen is great but I'd really like to have the m8 just the camera really bothered me the one plus is great but I didn't have 300 up front i wouldn't go with the s5 because of only having 2 gigs of ram and still running touch wiz the g3 is great can't find a problem with why not to get it... so good luck on choosing a new device because there are great choices.

i hate big phones thats why i got a.. (phablet)
    12-18-2014 10:08 PM
    If you haven't already made a decision, a couple of days ago I switched from my Galaxy S5 to the Note 4. I kept going back to the store, playing with it, shrinking the screen, using it one handed, etc. I wanted to be certain I'd love it as much as I thought I did before bringing it home. I did a lot of research. I'm IN LOVE WITH IT! It amazes me every time I use it, which is nonstop. No, the screen isn't too big one handed. And if you know the 'right' way to unlock it using fingerprint, it consistently unlocks on the first try. It's beautiful, a class act for sure. lightening fast. I'm learning new capabilities every day. The S pen is amazing. I've only had it 3?days and haven't had a chance to delve into the camera/video yet, that's today's project. But I know what to expect- like everything else about the Note, as close to perfection as you can get.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-19-2014 03:48 AM
    from my experience every time I was buying bigger and bigger phone. And now I'm also considering also buying Note 4, but this size is really huge, and I'm not sure if it will be comfortable to use. Friends of mine say that you can get use to it, and now they fall in love with it and the won't change.

so I think I will buy note 4
    12-20-2014 03:04 PM
    Do me a favor. Check out droid turbo. Lots of folks on the Turbo forums that have came from the note.

Screen is big enough and the pure android experience is fast and smooth. Worth a look.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-21-2014 09:03 PM
    I'm up for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide between the Note 4, S5, or the G3. Any pros or cons for each phone. My current phone is an S3
    I'd use an iPhone before I touched any of those phones. I'm not even joking.

My preference is for Motorola: Moto X, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo.
    12-23-2014 01:18 AM