Ok, so today I meandered on over to TiPb to see of they posted anything on the Nexus S. They did have a post so I decided to read some of the comments, and all I saw was how the Nexus S is trying to beat out the iPhone. I had to comment and give my opinion. I pretty much said that Google is trying to push the development of phones, not to compete. They're not trying to have the best phone on the market, but to make other phone companies try to one up the Nexus S and push the market forward. I also said how to Google it doesn't matter all that much about its sales. As long as Google puts out a great phone with new features, then Google will be happy. That's just my take on this all. So I want to hear what you guys think, is Google trying to beat the iPhone? Is it trying to beat all the android phones? Or is just trying to advance phone technology?
    12-06-2010 08:49 PM
    Ok, so today I meandered on over to TiPb to see of they posted anything on the Nexus S. They did have a post so I decided to read some of the comments, and all I saw was how the Nexus S is trying to beat out the iPhone. I had to comment and give my opinion. I pretty much said that Google is trying to push the development of phones, not to compete. They're not trying to have the best phone on the market, but to make other phone companies try to one up the Nexus S and push the market forward. I also said how to Google it doesn't matter all that much about its sales. As long as Google puts out a great phone with new features, then Google will be happy. That's just my take on this all. So I want to hear what you guys think, is Google trying to beat the iPhone? Is it trying to beat all the android phones? Or is just trying to advance phone technology?
    Please if it was out to beat the Iphone it would have used something a little more powerful than this, Samsung may not be the best on the software side but they sure have the tools to make a phone to blow the iphone out of the water at this point....

they have the new memory that they are developing 1-2gigs, they have dual core processors, they have super AMOLED screens WSVGA that will be over 344ppi.....etc

If google was concerned about beating out Iphone it would have easily Purchased a heavier duty phone.

Don't worry so much about what others are saying we know what Android is capable of and what IOS is limited to.

Soon , very soon Iphone will be eating our dust
    12-06-2010 09:20 PM
    Please if it was out to beat the Iphone it would have used something a little more powerful than this, Samsung may not be the best on the software side but they sure have the tools to make a phone to blow the iphone out of the water at this point....

they have the new memory that they are developing 1-2gigs, they have dual core processors, they have super AMOLED screens WSVGA that will be over 344ppi.....etc

If google was concerned about beating out Iphone it would have easily Purchased a heavier duty phone.

Don't worry so much about what others are saying we know what Android is capable of and what IOS is limited to.

Soon , very soon Iphone will be eating our dust
    Couldn't agree more, I don't understand why everyone thinks the iPhone is the best phone there is and ever will be. The specs are good but could be better. And I know that it doesn't matter what iOS people think of the nexus s, I just want to see what android people think of the Nexus S.
    12-06-2010 09:36 PM
    There is always going to be something better. I just use what I like and am comfortable with. It's about meeting the needs and wants of the user. If someone doesn't like what they are using get something else. This debate is worse than religion sometimes
    12-06-2010 09:42 PM
    There is always going to be something better. I just use what I like and am comfortable with. It's about meeting the needs and wants of the user. If someone doesn't like what they are using get something else. This debate is worse than religion sometimes
    I agree. Let's face it. I love Android, as we all do, but Google is more interested with it as a platform for advertising than pushing an industry forward or any of the other reasons we like it. They understand that consumers like compelling software and they offer that and then sell advertising.

Once and for all people, Google is not a software company, they are an advertising company. Software is just the means of distribution for their ads. This is why Google doesn't care if Motorola puts Android on underpowered devices like the Charm, Flipout, Backflip or OEMs add their customizations or any of the other things we complain about. Google would love Android to replace Symbian for what use to be feature phones. Every device is another pair of eyeballs for their ads. Plus Google apps on iOS and BB. They are playing a game in which they can't lose, and all without being 'Evil'. Good for them.

Having Flagship devices makes it easier for their development teams to keep things simple and develop for a single device. It is then up to other OEMs to make the software compatible with other devices.
    12-07-2010 08:22 AM
    The new Nexus will be a success, no matter how many units they well, if they advance the near field rollout. In my view the new Nexus is a testbed for NFC and a strong push to get the tech moving. It would have been nice if the phone was better...

Brian
    12-07-2010 03:43 PM
    God, I can't tell you how sick I am of the "iPhone Killer" moniker. Look folks, I don't think any one single device is EVER going to be an iPhone Killer. Apple has way too many senseless zombie fanboys sucking their toes for one device to ever take down the iPhone or iOS for that matter single-handedly. Now, an entire platform being an iPhone killer is a bit more of a reasonable belief.

My point in all of this is the Nexus S was in no way ever intended to be a direct shot at the iPhone, and to be honest I don't think Google was trying to get any ooo's and ahhh's with this phone either. Google will consider the Nexus S a success regardless of how many or how few of them are sold, for the simple fact that it is Google's way of garnering more attention to the Android platform and the release of Gingerbread. With Honeycomb's impending focus on tablets, we may see a "Nexus Tablet" released with Honeycomb on it.
    12-07-2010 04:37 PM
    The way I see it Google gave everyone a shot at a pure Android device that wasn't shackled by any manufacturer specific software. An SGS without the bloatware. That ain't half bad and it gives something to those people still using Nexus Ones to upgrade to. And it certainly is an attractive proposition considering how you'd get OS updates first and all that.
    12-08-2010 02:25 PM
    The new Nexus will be a success, no matter how many units they well, if they advance the near field rollout. In my view the new Nexus is a testbed for NFC and a strong push to get the tech moving. It would have been nice if the phone was better...

Brian
    That's pretty much my assessment as well. This phone has a better screen, a slightly faster processor (not by much) an slightly tweaked specs over the Nexus One. Other phones have front facing cams, better bluetooth, etc, etc.

So the big play had to be NFC.

Google says its Read Only for now.
    But they also have lined up Barclay's Bank to handle processing of payments. So you know that is where the next phase will be - tap to pay.

There is no point in putting everything in the first software release because tap to pay terminals are still relatively rare. It will creep into every fast food place, gas station, transit station, over the next year. Every one of them.

Next will come restaurants (portable waiter carried units), department stores, etc.

So Google's timing couldn't be better. And they have a lot of friends helping them: See CNN http://157.166.255.31/2010/TECH/mobi...nt/index.html?
    12-08-2010 06:35 PM
    Damn, NFC sure looks pretty good. I just hope some crazy kid doesn't find a way to swipe past people's phones and steal their money with bogus payments though
    12-09-2010 01:46 AM
    The day Google tries to beat out Apple is the day cows fly. Google wants to compete with Apple, but not beat it. Eventually Android will beat out iOS (just by sheer mass of phones and developers) but Google isn't exactly aiming for that goal.
    12-09-2010 07:50 AM