She is just not good with tech and she's been using an iPhone 3g that is on its last leg. She basically makes phone calls, has two or three apps like news. So doesn't need storage. Even 4gb would probably work. She doesn't even know how to text but I want her to start.Any recommendations would be appreciated..

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-21-2014 07:34 AM
    She is just not good with tech and she's been using an iPhone 3g that is on its last leg. She basically makes phone calls, has two or three apps like news. So doesn't need storage. Even 4gb would probably work. She doesn't even know how to text but I want her to start.Any recommendations would be appreciated..
    I've got the same problem with my 86yo mom.
    I am considering trialling my old Galaxy Note 3 (nice big screen) with the launcher/app "Wiser" (in the Play Store) for her with most stuff switched off to not confuse her.
    I do want an alarm button that notifies me and my siblings, and a phone location finder that I/we can check, permanently running in the background, though. Just in case she would get a sudden Alzheimer's attack when she's out there and got lost. She IS 86 after all and things like that happen all the time to old people! I'm thinking about the app "Lookout" for that.
    12-21-2014 07:57 AM
    She's knows iOS already, just get a new iPhone.
    12-21-2014 10:06 AM
    A new iPhone might not be a bad idea. Like down south said, she is already used to it, and iOS is pretty user friendly. If you really wanter her to get an Android, a Moto X 2013 might be a good idea.
    12-21-2014 11:39 AM
    Generally speaking don't change things for an 80+ year old person. However, if she needs to simplify a very cluttered and non - customizable iOS screen, you should look at the Jitterbug Touch which is tailor made for old people. It also has a one touch medical alert/assist with GPS. It might be too simplistic for her though. It has a 4" screen which is a bit small for older eyes though but she should be used to it using iOS ; )
    12-21-2014 03:03 PM
    Would a feature phone be a better choice? If you must get a smartphone, get one with an easy mode.
    12-21-2014 03:14 PM
    Honestly not being cheap but she just doesnt need an expensive phone like an I phone. I was leaning towards a Moto g maybe. I can set it up for her with the same apps she uses now. She just needs a phone that works.

12-21-2014 03:34 PM
    I think even a Moto E would be fine. I have one, which I use daily along side my Nexus 5 and aside from the camera, which is bad, it's a good budget smartphone. From the usage you described, it would perfectly good for your mum. That is unless she does want to make use of the camera, in which case I'd suggest the Moto G.

Posted via Android Central App
    anon(464338) likes this.
    12-21-2014 03:56 PM
    I think the Moto G 2013 can be a great phone. Not so big as the 2014 model and better camera and performance than the E. You can install some launcher like Necta or Wiser to make things easier.

Moto phones come with the Motorola Alert that can be very helpful for you. Take a look.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...9491/related/1
    anon(464338) likes this.
    12-21-2014 04:13 PM
    How much is the Moto g vs E?

12-21-2014 04:42 PM

Sorry mate. I live in Brazil. I can't help you with that.

But I think you can find good offers now for the G 2013, even unlocked.
    12-21-2014 04:54 PM

As I recall, the price difference for the US is negligible.

From an AOSP M8.
    12-22-2014 09:15 AM
    my mom is 78 and i talked her into a note 2 a couple of years ago.....she absolutely loves it and loves the pen. the spen makes getting around the screen, games, internet, texting, so much easier for her. i set up one home screen with direct dial icons which she also loves! took her a bit initially to get it all but now she hardly calls with questions
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    12-22-2014 11:57 AM
    I do want an alarm button that notifies me and my siblings, and a phone location finder that I/we can check, permanently running in the background, though. Just in case she would get a sudden Alzheimer's attack when she's out there and got lost. She IS 86 after all and things like that happen all the time to old people! I'm thinking about the app "Lookout" for that.
    My Wife and I use GPS Tracker. I could find her in the middle of a forest if I had to.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fsp.android.c
    Just make sure the GPS is turned on.
    12-22-2014 03:27 PM
    First thing I think of when someone that age asks me to recommend a phone is something with a large screen, then something easy to use. The iPhone 6 Plus comes to mind, and so does the Nexus 6. I'd say a Note 4, but she may get bogged down with features that sometimes gets in the way. I love how straight forward Lollipop is. So I'd go 6 Plus or Nexus 6.
    12-22-2014 03:45 PM
    A neighbor friend wanted a GS5. She isn't the most techy person either. I set the phone for "easy" menus. That made it much easier for her to grasp the use of it.
    12-22-2014 06:04 PM
    Great idea, I didn't even think of Easy Mode.
    12-23-2014 12:43 AM
    Moto g, moto e, BlackBerry q5, q10, z30 depending on what price each is.

She'll probably like full touch.
    12-23-2014 02:17 AM

Moto e i would choose and set it up for her and install an easy launcher and install her apps so she can use it
    12-23-2014 05:34 AM

I can understand why you want to buy one new phone for your mom,
    because the aged people sometimes cannot operate the multi-functional
    cellphone well ,and need a big-size screen for a clear view,what they do just
    phone calls and maybe text . i bought one android phone for my grandpa several
    weeks ago from kingsbuying ,a cost-effective phone ,and it is very suitable for
    old people .you can try there .
    12-24-2014 12:22 AM
    Get her an iPhone 5s. She won't flip out over a completely new platform and it'll perform much better than her 3.
    12-24-2014 10:50 AM
    Best is to get an old one to let her get used to the smartphones, to see how it works and what she likes / need.
    Then, after a month or two, it will be very clear for both of you what to buy. Now is too early to tell, you will only guess.
    01-29-2015 03:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD