So tonight I was out with my family. As we were walking to our cars I stopped to through some trash away. As I was tossing the stuff in the can something caught my eye. It was a phone. I thought who the hell would throw away a perfectly good looking phone. I hit the power button and it came to life. No lock or anything. So I swipe it open to see if there is anything to provide identifying information about the owner. The thing must have been wiped clean because there was nothing on it. It even had a memory card in it but that thing was clean. No sim, nothing just an SD card. It does have minor dings on it so it looks like it was used for awhile. The only things on it was the phone number for the phone. If I take it to the company that shows up at the startup (boost, virgin, etc) will they be able to find the owner? I looked it up and it is somewhat of a newer phone, not higher end, but within a year or so.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-28-2014 02:36 AM
    The carrier is probably the best bet. It's possible it was a "burner" phone--i.e., a prepaid phone that someone used for anonymity, then discarded. Maybe it was used for some shady dealings ... or so the movies would lead me to believe.
    anon8380037 and Golfdriver97 like this.
    12-28-2014 03:36 AM
    You're a better person than I. If I found a phone in the trash, I doubt I'd try to return it. >.>
    12-28-2014 05:15 AM
    Whatever you do, don't answer it. Have you seen any of those espionage thrillers? You'll get caught up in done international spy ring.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-28-2014 09:10 AM
    Hahaha I'm watching a show on hulu called The Wrong Mans and that's what happens when the guy answers a phone
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-28-2014 12:22 PM
    So I called the phone company and the rep seemed really shocked that I wanted to see if it was reported lost or stolen. It wasnt. She said "the phone has a plan for about a week more so just use it, or not. If the owner or anyone else calls answer it and let them know you have it. Or, just keep it, it's yours you found it". That kind of threw me for a loop since I wasn't really expecting such an answer. But I guess since the phone is a prepaid phone they don't really care. But I think a $150 phone missing would have me reporting it. Plus the cost of the plan. But the guy has insurance on it so he probably didn't care that much. probably going to give it to my brother now. After the week is up
    12-30-2014 03:23 AM
    If it was lost, it seems weird that it would end up in a trash can. I suspect it was discarded intentionally. Still, it was good of you to check.
    12-30-2014 05:49 AM
    If it was lost, it seems weird that it would end up in a trash can. I suspect it was discarded intentionally. Still, it was good of you to check.
    Yeah, my theory is still that it was used as a burner phone. Hopefully only for some low-level sneakiness, like a philandering husband or a two-bit drug dealer, rather than something more serious!
    12-30-2014 11:42 PM
    Yeah, my theory is still that it was used as a burner phone. Hopefully only for some low-level sneakiness, like a philandering husband or a two-bit drug dealer, rather than something more serious!
    I can imagine that in about a week your story will come to life lol
    12-31-2014 10:17 PM
    So after awhile of nobody calling and the phone company not giving a crap about the phone and telling me I can "keep the phone and use it since the planning paid through the 7th of January" I decided to give the phone to my brother. The next day my brother calls me saying a girl has been leaving messages for her boyfriend and her phone is back on.

Her messages get angrier as the day goes on. When I see my brother, I text her to let her know this phone is lost that's why her boyfriend hasn't called her back. She doesn't believe me and then wants to meet up so she can get the phone. No problem on my end. She confirms her boyfriends name, I got it from the phone company. This is all done through text. I'm driving home as she calls me so I can't answer. After that she starts leaving crazy *** messages and accusing me of not doing the right thing. I return the call but she doesn't answer. I try this 3 more times over about an hours time, nothing. 3 hours later she calls me a piece of crap cause because she decided I'm keeping the phone.

That was the last straw. I gave the phone to my brother and said use away it's paid till the seventh. The phone company already said it's my phone and its was noted that prior to me calling their was no claim in and the phone hasn't been used since the 23rd of december. And her first questions were, why aren't you answering me, are you in jail?
    01-01-2015 11:19 PM
    01-02-2015 01:48 AM
    You're a better person than I. If I found a phone in the trash, I doubt I'd try to return it. >.>
    Poser

AC App on SGS3
    01-03-2015 10:28 AM
    So after awhile of nobody calling and the phone company not giving a crap about the phone and telling me I can "keep the phone and use it since the planning paid through the 7th of January" I decided to give the phone to my brother. The next day my brother calls me saying a girl has been leaving messages for her boyfriend and her phone is back on.

Her messages get angrier as the day goes on. When I see my brother, I text her to let her know this phone is lost that's why her boyfriend hasn't called her back. She doesn't believe me and then wants to meet up so she can get the phone. No problem on my end. She confirms her boyfriends name, I got it from the phone company. This is all done through text. I'm driving home as she calls me so I can't answer. After that she starts leaving crazy *** messages and accusing me of not doing the right thing. I return the call but she doesn't answer. I try this 3 more times over about an hours time, nothing. 3 hours later she calls me a piece of crap cause because she decided I'm keeping the phone.

That was the last straw. I gave the phone to my brother and said use away it's paid till the seventh. The phone company already said it's my phone and its was noted that prior to me calling their was no claim in and the phone hasn't been used since the 23rd of december. And her first questions were, why aren't you answering me, are you in jail?
    I think I know why the dude ditched the phone.

AC App on SGS3
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-03-2015 10:32 AM
    I think I know why the dude ditched the phone.

AC App on SGS3
    Lol, is he fed up with his girlfriend and that's a way to get away from her?
    01-05-2015 05:10 AM