I need a new phone, but I'm picky. (removable battery + microSD) Help!

Iantuition

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
First of all, hi. :D

So my trusty old red Galaxy S3 got stolen last week by some robbing jackasses, and I was too lazy and cheap to take Cerberus off my wishlist and just buy it. It was already dying at the time of the robbery, was gesture locked, and quite picky with what cables and chargers it would accept (had to buy a straight-up OEM charger for it) so, judging by the fact that neither Android Device Manager nor Lookout have seen it since, I'm guessing it was too much for the thieves to deal with and is gone forever. :(

On the bright side, this means I'm in the market for a new phone! Trouble is that I'm picky.
I'm on AT&T and plan to stay for a while (seven years unlimited, baby!)
I MUST have a removable battery and microSD slot. Absolute must. I like being able to replace batteries and remove my storage if need be.
Battery life has to be good too.
I [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] hate onscreen buttons so capacitive buttons are preferable. although the LG G3 has me reconsidering.

I guess that's it really. I have huge hands (the Nexus 6 fits PERFECTLY) so the phone cannot possibly be too big. And otherwise I just want it to be good, you know? I tend to keep my phones until they are just unusable.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Removable battery and sd card slot requirements eliminate nexus 6, Moto x, htc one.

Really the only major phones that support them are the note 4, note edge, and s5.the note being newer has better specs and is the closest to the Nexus 6 screen size

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a recommendation for you, the smart "phonies" here will steer you in the right direction, but how did it get stolen? Grabbed out of your hands? Left it somewhere? I can say if someone grabbed it out of my hands it wouldn't end too well for them.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Removable battery and sd card slot requirements eliminate nexus 6, Moto x, htc one.

Really the only major phones that support them are the note 4, note edge, and s5.the note being newer has better specs and is the closest to the Nexus 6 screen size

Doesn't the G3 meet his requirements?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the G3 meet his requirements?
Well he did mention it in the op. The Note 4 is better spec wise... Screen, battery life...

G3 is still good but note 4 is the best right now, especially considering he doesn't like on screen buttons

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

mrsmoore78

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I love my Note 4, coming off of 6 years with iPhone. I thought the size would bug me, but my husband and I always get the same phone and he really wanted a note 4 so I got one. It took about 10 seconds to fall in love with the bigger size and I don't think I will ever go back to a smaller screen. The note really does it all, I do not think you will be disappointed. You should also have 2 weeks to test drive whatever you get so if you're not in love with it you can switch it out. Let us know what you choose!!

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I love my Note 4, coming off of 6 years with iPhone. I thought the size would bug me, but my husband and I always get the same phone and he really wanted a note 4 so I got one. It took about 10 seconds to fall in love with the bigger size and I don't think I will ever go back to a smaller screen. The note really does it all, I do not think you will be disappointed. You should also have 2 weeks to test drive whatever you get so if you're not in love with it you can switch it out. Let us know what you choose!!

Agreed. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with LTE as my phone. People look at me funny when they see me holding up an 8 inch tablet to my face to make calls. But that's the same way people used to look at phablet users just a couple years ago. Once you upgrade to an 8 inch screen size as your phone, there's no going back.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with LTE as my phone. People look at me funny when they see me holding up an 8 inch tablet to my face to make calls. But that's the same way people used to look at phablet users just a couple years ago. Once you upgrade to an 8 inch screen size as your phone, there's no going back.

I can sort of picture that. I think an 8" device as a phone may seem...oh...I don't know...big as [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] !? You rock that tablet though! Never mind people that look at you weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iantuition

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So it's really between the Note 4 and the G3? Hmm. Lemme see what color options they have. I went through HELL to get the S3 in red.

That's it? Wow. They (as in, everybody except Samsung) must be REALLY moving away from them. I thought Android was all about options LOL. Any more phones that have one or the other?

I don't have a recommendation for you, the smart "phonies" here will steer you in the right direction, but how did it get stolen? Grabbed out of your hands? Left it somewhere? I can say if someone grabbed it out of my hands it wouldn't end too well for them.

The threat of a gun was ALL I needed really. It was actually a really long and complicated experience but when they finally drove off I actually tried going after them, instinctively thinking I would call the police while driving until I realized... well...

6 years with iPhone? You're a good one lol. I didn't last two.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G also has a removable battery, 5.5" screen and expandable memory, but the specs aren't the best and I don't know if it can work with AT&T.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The threat of a gun was ALL I needed really. It was actually a really long and complicated experience but when they finally drove off I actually tried going after them, instinctively thinking I would call the police while driving until I realized... well...[/color]

Gun? Good grief...sorry to hear, and they can have whatever they want if they pull that stuff.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I *really dislike* onscreen buttons so capacitive buttons are preferable. although the LG G3 has me reconsidering.
I had the Galaxy S4, and switched to the G3. Love the phone, took a bit to re-train my brain for the "proper" button placement (Samsung has them reversed - back is on the right, menu/multi-task on the left. Proper button is back on the left, multi-task on the right), and the volume/power on the back as opposed to on the sides.

I do miss the bright colors of a Samsung AMOLED screen - the G3 screen colors are rather muted and dull, some would say "washed out" by comparison to a Samsung screen - but that's preference. I was torn between the Note 3 and G3 at time of purchase, and the G3 just felt better in the hand, although sometimes I wish I would have gotten the Note3. I think for myself the G3 was the better choice. It does have removeable battery and storage, so it does meet those requirements. Definately worth going into the store and holding both to see which fits your hand better.

(And as a side note, my S4 now feels TINY compared to my G3. The actual physical size difference isn't as big as it feels in the hand. (Going from the G3 to the S4 feels about like going from the S4 to an iPhone 4/4s as far as overall size and also screen size)

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't be able to cope with that but more power to you. Who gives a f#@k what other people think. Me I am going the opposite direction. Had a 2013 Moto X, was upgraded to the 2014 version and wanted to love it. It was just too big to deal with. I just purchased a Xperia Z3 Compact thru Sony US and plan to use it on T-mobile. All the power of the Z3 in a smaller package.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for the Note 4. (I own a 3, and there's not much difference. I expect to keep this phone until it dies, becomes too obsolete to use or my wife has to call the funeral parlor.)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G.
Product Features:

3G, Wi-Fi
Quad Core, 1.6 GHz Processor
2 GB RAM
8 GB inbuilt memory

5.5 inches, 720 x 1280 px display
13 MP Camera with flash
Memory Card Supported, upto 64 GB
Android, v4.4.2

8GB of storage and 720p screen @ 5.5" would be a deal-breaker to this and many other enthusiasts. ...even with an SD card option...unless the handset is <= $200US.