Has Technology Almost Reached a Zenith Period?

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
What I mean, when is the next cool, blow your mind technology going to reveal itself. Lately, I just feel that the devices today, have become boring. I'm ready for holograms, or something that will blow your mind completely.
A lot of the devices I only see as being rehashed, yeah the tech is in a different case, theres chrome trim, next year theres not, a bit better screen, a bigger screen, I can wave my hand and turn the screen on, and a little faster processor but nothing that just blows ones mind.
TV makers tried 3d and it didn't go over so will, now most TVs today might have it or might not. So now they are doing the curved thing and I have read its a gimmick, don't know. What are your feelings on today's technology? When will we begin to watch TV as a hologram, or see some cool futuristic device, like you'd image in a sci fi movie of the depicted future.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Kelvin, Lord Thompson, said, in 1900, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement." I guess he said that over his crank-powered cellphone, huh? Or did he text it on his Babbage Engine?

Holograms? Just look on your credit card - they all have holograms on them now. (If you mean 3-dimensional walk around holotanks, that's doable - if you count your money by how many bank vaults it takes to hold it.)

The "next big thing" in technology? You mean aside from Göbekli Tepe? (If the name isn't familiar to you, you aren't keeping up with current technology. Agriculture as early as 20,000 years ago? We'll see how far down it goes.) How about finding a planet with an oxygen atmosphere? (That would mean life - planet-forming doesn't produce oxygen-containing atmospheres.) Or quantum computing? 64 bit? A 6 bit quantum processor would be a lot faster.

BTW, "TV as a hologram" is 3D TV, and it's cool, but there are no 3D shows yet - it's the old hardware/software problem. If there are no shows, people aren't buying the sets. If no one is buying the sets, no one is going to spend the money to produce shows in 3D. (I have a Vizio passive 55" 3D TV. The video quality is better than their 2D 55" set. And if there's a 3D show, the glasses are right there near the TV. The same thing happened when color TV came out - there were still black and white shows for years after that.) Again, "walking around to see it from all angles" TV is possible, but I'd rather buy an Aston Martin if I'm spending that kind of money. Or a Lear jet.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes you make very relevant points, and I didn't make myself clear, I was mostly referring to gadgets. When is the last time you had that wow moment? Yes I was talking about holographic 3d tv.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm just an addict for that wow factor when I get word of the next cool gadget. Yes, can you imagine back in the day, seeing a color tv for the first time, wow! Or being able to store a ton of songs on a media device, where as before you where limited to a limited media medium. Or what about the time you seen a flat screen TV, wow! How cool was that? A ton of people had the wow factor when the Nintendo Wii out, for the first time, you had to move to play a video game. I was wondering, has gadgets reached a period of lingo. I guess what I'm saying, yes when is the next big thing going to arrive.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm just an addict for that wow factor when I get word of the next cool gadget. Yes, can you imagine back in the day, seeing a color tv for the first time, wow! Or being able to store a ton of songs on a media device, where as before you where limited to a limited media medium. Or what about the time you seen a flat screen TV, wow! How cool was that? A ton of people had the wow factor when the Nintendo Wii out, for the first time, you had to move to play a video game. I was wondering, has gadgets reached a period of lingo. I guess what I'm saying, yes when is the next big thing going to arrive.

Well, my Note 4 wows me sometimes when I stop and think about how irrevocably awesome it is. ...and my Galaxy Alpha wows me when I consider how slick and tiny it is. It may not be the same level of 'Wow' that you mean but I think we have some cool toys in 2015.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, my Note 4 wows me sometimes when I stop and think about how irrevocably awesome it is. ...and my Galaxy Alpha wows me when I consider how slick and tiny it is. It may not be the same level of 'Wow' that you mean but I think we have some cool toys in 2015.

Gosh I sure hope so... But maybe your right, I've gotten so used to the devices I have that I have taken them for granted. I sit here now thinking about your comment, there once was a time I had to make a phone call to the bank, now days, check my banks app. Your correct, gadget technology I guess can become so much a part of our lives that one can almost over look it. It's just been a while since I had that true jaw dropping wow moment. I must say that the Samsung Gear S kind of gave me that wow feeling when I first seen it. It'll be amazing to me to see how it might lead the way to devices like it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm just an addict for that wow factor when I get word of the next cool gadget. Yes, can you imagine back in the day, seeing a color tv for the first time, wow!
I remember seeing TV for the first time - black and white. Color? We had plastic sheets we put over the CRT, blue on top, orange in the middle, green at the bottom - Color TV! We were one of the first families to have our own phone (well ... my Dad's phone, because he owned a business, and sometimes needed to call clients when he was at home). Jet planes. Direct Distance Dialing (area codes). When you can remember World War 2, you've had a lot of WOW moments, but every time I realize that I don't have to look for a payphone, or have a two-way radio to be reached, it's a little wow moment for me.

Or being able to store a ton of songs on a media device, where as before you where limited to a limited media medium.
Like a 256k 8" floppy?

I guess what I'm saying, yes when is the next big thing going to arrive.
About 3 times a day, we just don't realize it. The first hominid who stood up didn't realize that it was the next big thing. Things are being discovered and invented all the time, but they don't really become WOW moments, except in retrospect. (You can't even do a coin check on that 206 number any longer, as far as I know. Or tell where an 800 number is located. [Or any number - my phone number's area code is nowhere near where I live. Portable VoIP - was that the next big thing, and we didn't notice?])

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
What I mean, when is the next cool, blow your mind technology going to reveal itself. Lately, I just feel that the devices today, have become boring. I'm ready for holograms, or something that will blow your mind completely.
A lot of the devices I only see as being rehashed, yeah the tech is in a different case, theres chrome trim, next year theres not, a bit better screen, a bigger screen, I can wave my hand and turn the screen on, and a little faster processor but nothing that just blows ones mind.
TV makers tried 3d and it didn't go over so will, now most TVs today might have it or might not. So now they are doing the curved thing and I have read its a gimmick, don't know. What are your feelings on today's technology? When will we begin to watch TV as a hologram, or see some cool futuristic device, like you'd image in a sci fi movie of the depicted future.

Did you watch CES 2015? There's so many new gadgets coming out every year, it's hard to keep up sometimes.

My favorite was 3D printing. Now you can 3D print more than just plastic, like metal, wood, etc. It's going to change the world. Imagine just downloading the file for something you want to print, putting in the materials you need, then POOF it's printed for you. You can even 3D print FOOD!

Second favorite was that laptop with a desktop i7-4790k inside of it. That was pretty sick. Gotta love the Intel guys for making faster and faster CPUs every year. I remember when I upgraded from my Core 2 Duo E8500 from 2008, to my i7-4770k in 2013. It only took 5 years to freaking DOUBLE the single-thread performance of a CPU, and freaking SEXTUPLE (that's 6 times more lol) the multi-thread performance. FREAKING INSANE for a 5 year period if you ask me. If Intel keeps this up, by 2018 there will be a new chip that's twice as fast as my current chip clock for clock lol and that will finally give me enough reason to upgrade.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Also, smart phones and tablets have been around for a very long time. I remember way back in the early 2000's Microsoft was making tablet PCs, way before the iPad was even conceived. Smart phones existed way before the iPhone as well. It wasn't until Apple popularized it that smart phones and tablets really took off and became what they are today. People often mistaken Steve Jobs as some genius inventor who created gadgets like the iPad and iPhone - nah, he just took what already existed and marketed them towards middle-class families lol.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Second favorite was that laptop with a desktop i7-4790k inside of it. That was pretty sick. Gotta love the Intel guys for making faster and faster CPUs every year. I remember when I upgraded from my Core 2 Duo E8500 from 2008, to my i7-4770k in 2013. It only took 5 years to freaking DOUBLE the single-thread performance of a CPU, and freaking SEXTUPLE (that's 6 times more lol) the multi-thread performance. FREAKING INSANE for a 5 year period if you ask me. If Intel keeps this up, by 2018 there will be a new chip that's twice as fast as my current chip clock for clock lol and that will finally give me enough reason to upgrade.

That is pretty amazing

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
its not that tech has hit a ceiling and can't get better. It's just people now days not appreciating that the Note 4 (and other phones) in peoples pocket IS amazing.
The Note 4 is more powerful than my first gaming machine I used to play EverQuest mmo in 1999.
People are just too spoiled and don't appreciate that the phone in your pocket is blow-your-mind-amazing.

The iphone came out 8 years ago. it was the first Good smart phone, blackberry and windows phone back then were considered smart phones, but they were pretty bad. So a kid that is 18 years old has seen iPhone like tech since he was 10 years old.
Seems like a norm for him. Ask the guy that's 40 and he will tell you about Pagers, and Nokia cell phones with green and black 2 color displays.

Its perspective. I am in the 40+ crowd, so I find current phone tech mind blowing and satisfying.
an 18 year old kid thinks he deserves better cause mommie got him an iPhone at 10 years old. ... perspective.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Its perspective. I am in the 40+ crowd, so I find current phone tech mind blowing and satisfying.
an 18 year old kid thinks he deserves better cause mommie got him an iPhone at 10 years old. ... perspective.

LOL...awesome. They never had to walk to school either!

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Perspective is it exactly. I'm amazed by the power of the iPhone 6 that I carry in my pocket every day. There is no way technology has reached any zenith...I still have to drive my car around manually every day.

Sticking with the perspective angle I'd also say that IMHO that most products being shown off an CES aren't really new technology. They are old technology applied in novel ways that are really just gimmicks and don't actually add much improvement to my life in any way.

When I think of actual new technology I think and dream of brain implants, self driving cars, robotic replacement limbs that are controlled with your mind just like a real limb. You know...something...new that I can't already buy.

A TV with a curved screen that shows 3D images with LED backlights IMO is just an LCD TV with a higher price tag. It's not new technology to me.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Sticking with the perspective angle I'd also say that IMHO that most products being shown off an CES aren't really new technology. They are old technology applied in novel ways that are really just gimmicks and don't actually add much improvement to my life in any way.

Exactly the reason I pay CES little heed.

Agree with the balance of your post.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
When I think of actual new technology I think and dream of brain implants, self driving cars, robotic replacement limbs that are controlled with your mind just like a real limb. You know...something...new that I can't already buy.
That's what I'm talking about, Why hasn't these things become part of our lives, it's the FUTURE, It's 2015.

A TV with a curved screen that shows 3D images with LED backlights IMO is just an LCD TV with a higher price tag. It's not new technology to me.
Exactly the way I feel, I read an article a while back about the curved TV idea, said TV manufacturers where just running out of ideas for the next cool thing.

I still have to drive my car around manually every day.

The day you can program your self driving car is a day I hope happens in my lifetime. I'm in my 30's and hope for that someday. It would be just like I robot with Will Smith.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree in that new phones haven't "wowed" me in a couple of years but technology is nowhere near its zenith.

Yeah like others have stated, some have or might have gotten so used to smartphones, they get taken for granted. Yes, phones in the last few years, it just seems the tech hasn't had that wow factor in quite some time. Pretty HD screens are nice I guess, a little better processor, but nothing amazing. I'm being sarcastic but I want a George Jetson kind of car, my phone is a flying car, when I get to my destination, it folds up into a phone, lol.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah like others have stated, some have or might have gotten so used to smartphones, they get taken for granted. Yes, phones in the last few years, it just seems the tech hasn't had that wow factor in quite some time. Pretty HD screens are nice I guess, a little better processor, but nothing amazing. I'm being sarcastic but I want a George Jetson kind of car, my phone is a flying car, when I get to my destination, it folds up into a phone, lol.

Even Anakin Skywalker didn't have that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance