WHOA...Market refund window being reduced to 15 minutes?

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Fifteen minute refund limit

Seriously, what is Google thinking with this boneheaded move? Why the drastic shift from 24 hours to 15 minutes?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Not a fan of this change much. If they had decreased it to even 2 or 3 hours I wouldn't have really complained much, but 15 minutes is simply not enough time to adequately test out an app and ensure it works as advertised -- or that you even like it for that matter. This move surprises me a lot.

Reactions: MsRed

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
Not sure, while I think its a bit of a stretch, I can usually tell within 15 minutes if an app needs to go or not. I don't often buy apps, and when I do its because I'm sure its something I want/need/have to have. I think the refund limit should stay at 24 hours though, with the same rules as now, that if you go to buy it a second time, you can't get a refund.

braj

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ok, I buy LOTS of apps and will now only look for free apps in protest. So far I have spent $105.38 per Appbrain's calculation. So I am not just making idle threats. I've had an Android phone for about 5 months.

The 1 day window gave me confidence to try out lots of otherwise risky purchases. Now it just isn't worth it. I'll even consider another platform for my next phone/tablet because of this. It is something akin to treason, since this is one of the things that really sold me on Android. I feel it is just to appease developers that don't have faith in their crappy products. Thanks a lot Google. You suck.

Reactions: hoarder23

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
not thrilled about this at all. there are some apps you just cant preview sufficiently in 15 minutes. hopefully devs will be smart about this and possibly offer a free version of an app that allows for use of all of the apps features for a trial period so you can get a good idea of how the app works before committing

Reactions: Wildo6882

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
There is NO WAY most people request a refund within minutes. This has to be a mistake.

It occurs when people purchase crappy and bogus apps like those "hot chick wallpaper" or some angry bird knockoff for $3 that doesn't do anything but gives the seller your cash (and possibly access to your device depending on permissions).

I bought Pure Messaging widget and used it for about a day and decided I didn't need it and refunded it. For many apps, 15 minutes is NOT enough time to test.

I'll be removing my checkout info.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
What on earth was Google smoking when they made this decision? How can you go from 24hrs to 15min!?! Twelve hours would be more reasonable. The trial period from the market is what drew me to Android in the first place. I bet they get some serious backlash regarding this new policy. In the meantime, I won't be purchasing any new apps in protest.

Reactions: braj

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
What on earth was Google smoking when they made this decision? How can you go from 24hrs to 15min!?! Twelve hours would be more reasonable. The trial period from the market is what drew me to Android in the first place. I bet they get some serious backlash regarding this new policy. In the meantime, I won't be purchasing any new apps in protest.

keep in mind by not buying any apps though, you arent hurting google, youre hurting devs. a lot of devs still make apps that are worth your hard earned dollar. i personally will just be doing a bit more thorough research before buying an app to make sure its worthwhile

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
keep in mind by not buying any apps though, you arent hurting google, youre hurting devs. a lot of devs still make apps that are worth your hard earned dollar. i personally will just be doing a bit more thorough research before buying an app to make sure its worthwhile

Well, you hurt Google too, as they make 30% on paid apps. I don't think I'll do a total boycott, but I will be a lot more careful. And maybe if enough developers cry out along with the users, it'll get changed.

phreddyl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It hurts both google and the developer- When the developer stops making apps for android because not enough people buy them and then people stop buying android phones because there is not enough app development... Google is being really foolish on this one- 15 minutes is crazy-pound wise and penny foolish

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
There are some apps and/or games that take at least 15 minutes just to install.

There's been numerous times the app I purchased was just an installer, the installer downloads a boatload of data, then you have to go through a registration/login process (pocket legends comes to mind). So by the time you actually get to startup the app for the first time, the refund policy has already expired.

1 or 2 hours would be more reasonable. 3 hours ideal.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
OK, I strongly believe that this has been requested by developers, wanting to cut down on App piracy. I don't know if it might just backfire on them as people might just get a pirate copy of an app to try out and then "forget" to buy a copy. I saw a lot of people reacting very angrily to this saying that this would mean they would never download another app, well good luck with that, whoever you are, but seeing as certain other platforms don't give you ANY chance of a refund and if the shortened window means more devs are willing to work on Android then I think that it is a good thing. If you aren't sure about an app just read the comments, ask someone in these forums or wait for an App review on the main page. Just don't whine about something that is a move for the better.

Reactions: theeroopable

genuino

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I always wonder about the 24 hours, although is fine, I don't need 24 hours to test, but apps that are like reminders, backups and utilities that only you would test after a couple of days. I would say from 24 to at least 6, not 15 minutes, not enough time to test some of them.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't affect me because if I plan on buying an app, I already did my research and I know EXACTLY what it will offer me. Also, you guys have to see this from a developers perspective. They spend hundreds, even thousands of hours on these applications only to have a good percentage of them get refunded for stupid reasons. People will see one small thing wrong and instantly give it a one star rating, even though the developer was going to fix it.

Reactions: theeroopable

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Some apps really need more than 15 minutes to fully test or even get setup. Why even have a refund window if it is going to be 15 minutes. Give an hour or two at the very least if they want to shorten the purchase window.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Well, you hurt Google too, as they make 30% on paid apps. I don't think I'll do a total boycott, but I will be a lot more careful. And maybe if enough developers cry out along with the users, it'll get changed.

That 30% covers servers, Bank fees, credit card fees, and storage space. Google most likely makes VERY little off of an app purchase.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe the point that Google is trying to make is that - you don't need a whole day to figure out if you want/need the purchase app. Many might not agree on logic, but the bottom line is - its business.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I believe the point that Google is trying to make is that - you don't need a whole day to figure out if you want/need the purchase app. Many might not agree on logic, but the bottom line is - its business.

I agree with your sentiments -- yes I don't think it takes an entire day to test out an app, but surely it takes more than 15 minutes. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34