12-16-2010 12:32 AM
123 12345
tools
    It hasn't even been 12 hours since I convinced someone to go Android specifically because of the 24 hour policy. Now i have to go back and tell them 'never mind about that'

Although it's still better than Apple's no-refund policy.
    12-12-2010 01:31 PM
    How many of you that are upset over this have actually asked for a refund?

I know that if I plan on purchasing an app, I have done extensive homework. So more often than not I limit the chances of me being dissatisfied with my purchase. Bottom line if you do your homework this change in policy should not adversely affect you.
    I haven't needed to yet, but that's not the point. Return policies loosen wallets. If they didn't, stores wouldn't have them. There are a lot of things I buy that I'm not sure of, but I pick them up because I know I have an opportunity to return them if they don't work out. 9 out of 10 times, I keep the item. But many of those items are things I wouldn't have bought in the first place if all sales were final.

My experience on the market is similar. Often there really isn't much to research. A short description and 2 screenshots isn't much to go on. Reviews help, but they're pretty short too. A new paid app won't always have many, and you have to take some of those with a grain of salt anyway. Sure, there can be external sources of info (dev site, the forums, etc), but not always. But the 24 hour return window means I can try it out against *my* needs, not someone else's. That means I'm much more willing to try a paid app out on a whim, rather than over-analyze it before I hit "buy." And frankly, any developer with a quality app should be happy to let their app speak for itself with a 24 hour trial.
    12-12-2010 01:42 PM
    Not to mention the fact that like I said previously, what happens if I purchase an app and get a phone call or something important that distracts me? Suddenly I haven't even been able to test the app out against my own needs and preferences because of this. Even some of the developers I've talked to don't agree with this decsion. Surely this doesn't reflect all of them, and I'm quite sure this decision was based off of developer input, but regardless.
    12-12-2010 02:15 PM
    Anyone know when this is supposed to take effect? It doesn't seem to be reliant on having the new market.
    12-12-2010 02:22 PM
    I kinda read about this only this morning. And I think it's a bit too much of "lets please the devs even if we **** off the customers" from Google. I mean, come on, 15 minutes.. atleast half a day, or 2 hours. This is just crap.

Sucks to be unable to try. I think this will make people think a lot before buying and it'll have quite the reverse effect.. not quite the "dev-aid" they intended it to be. Still, I think people should always wait a while and read reviews before buying any app from the Market, rather than sport a "Oh i have a day to try it out, why bother reading" attitude.
    12-12-2010 02:28 PM
    I do agree with ask of you because I liked having a day to see if I liked the app our not with a day trial run. If I bought an app while I was at work, I could just use it later when I got home.

Though we do still have a refund policy which its not as good as it was, we still are able to get our money back. Iphones don't even have that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it could be worse, we could have an iphone haha

Sent from my Droid Incredible because I'm too lazy to walk over to my computer.
    12-12-2010 03:42 PM
    How many of you that are upset over this have actually asked for a refund?

I know that if I plan on purchasing an app, I have done extensive homework. So more often than not I limit the chances of me being dissatisfied with my purchase. Bottom line if you do your homework this change in policy should not adversely affect you.
    I have refunded apps more than a few times. Most notably because for whatever reason, despite great reviews or popular feedback, the app would not function properly on my device.

I've had apps that simply did not work properly on my device. I've installed apps that simply did not provide what was advertised. I've installed apps that despite being a paid app, also had ads.

Yes, there is a lot to be said about researching before purchasing. However sometimes it just doesn't work out. I don't refund an app simply because I realize later I just don't have a use for it (I chock that up to buyer beware), I refund it simply because it doesn't work as it should.

I'm all for reducing the time limit, as I will know within the first hour or two whether there's a problem with it. However 15 Minutes forces the user to race the clock and not provide an adequate amount of time to give it an honest trial.
    12-12-2010 06:56 PM
    I agree about it making you think more before buying an app. I have requested refunds in the past, although it is not frequent occurrence. When on the fence about a piece of software, I would buy it knowing that I had 24 hours to return it. That will stop if I only have a 15 minute window. Net affect is that I will likely buy less software.

I kinda read about this only this morning. And I think it's a bit too much of "lets please the devs even if we **** off the customers" from Google. I mean, come on, 15 minutes.. atleast half a day, or 2 hours. This is just crap.

Sucks to be unable to try. I think this will make people think a lot before buying and it'll have quite the reverse effect.. not quite the "dev-aid" they intended it to be. Still, I think people should always wait a while and read reviews before buying any app from the Market, rather than sport a "Oh i have a day to try it out, why bother reading" attitude.
    12-12-2010 09:29 PM
    I understand that this is a way to protect the devs from scam but come on 15 mins is to small. I believe that Google should have done the open thing and asked its devs and end users.
    12-13-2010 01:00 AM
    It's a little short, but I've only asked for one refund previously and that's because I accidentally bought the wrong app.

Most apps are so cheap, it's not really a big deal.
    12-13-2010 07:53 AM
    This move could very likely lead to price increases. Why not get some more money, there is a better chance you will get to keep it even if your customers aren't overly pleased.

For 99 cent apps, I'm not too worried. But if I'm spending three or four dollars I want to check it out. There are very few professional reviews and there may be users writing the app reviews who like an app but the it doesn't work as I hoped. I have tried a couple that where reviewed by the AndriodCentral team that I didn't like. They worked fine, but not quite what I wanted.

I would like to see the dev have selectable window, say 1 hour, 1 day, one week. Those who develop quicky games can set refunds to an hour where as those who develop productivity oriented app or more sophisticted games can give you a day or even a week to try an app.
    12-13-2010 08:12 AM
    This move could very likely lead to price increases. Why not get some more money, there is a better chance you will get to keep it even if your customers aren't overly pleased.

For 99 cent apps, I'm not too worried. But if I'm spending three or four dollars I want to check it out. There are very few professional reviews and there may be users writing the app reviews who like an app but the it doesn't work as I hoped. I have tried a couple that where reviewed by the AndriodCentral team that I didn't like. They worked fine, but not quite what I wanted.

I would like to see the dev have selectable window, say 1 hour, 1 day, one week. Those who develop quicky games can set refunds to an hour where as those who develop productivity oriented app or more sophisticted games can give you a day or even a week to try an app.
    I think one of the things that concerns me most is the fact that some of these apps comments and reviews section in the market is completely spammed up. Take PingChat for example, of the comments are ADD ME!!!. Theres no way you can draw a logical conclusion with that, and the average consumer isnt going to go online and look all of this up themselves.
    12-13-2010 09:42 AM
    I think it has to do with most people buying a game, beating the game and refunding.

Or buying an app, backing up the apk, refunding and still having that apk.

It's a win/loss.. Win for developers/Google, loss for us.
    12-13-2010 11:41 AM
    Since they are going to limit apps to 15 minutes for refund, Google needs to QC their apps better in return because there are just so much malicious and bogus apps in the Android Market, I think that will be more fair.
    12-13-2010 12:10 PM
    I have to wonder if this policy will run afoul of the different consumer protection laws in the US. Most states have laws that allow buyers to return or back out of purchases after a period of time (that is a lot more than 15 min). The most prominent example is when you buy airline tickets online for a non refundable fare you have 24hrs to cancel the sale.

I hope that Google will rethink what they are doing an put a policy in place that makes more sense.

Doc
    12-13-2010 01:06 PM
    Or buying an app, backing up the apk, refunding and still having that apk.
    I think that was the main culprit. E.g., I have a paid app and a Lite version of my Studio Buddy app. Lite version has all the functionality except for extra graphics. Half of the purchases were refunded...

That said, I doubt the 15min window will deter pirates...
    12-13-2010 02:45 PM
    That said, I doubt the 15min window will deter pirates...
    Piracy will only increase after these changes take affect.
    12-13-2010 03:59 PM
    This will not affect piracy. The people who buy apps to support the developers will still buy apps to support the developer. The people who have always downloaded illegal copies of apps will continue to do so.

I really feel like this whole issue if giving people false justification to download pirated apps. It's almost like "Now that there is only a 15 minute exchange policy I will download a free copy off of a site and will not buy it in the marker. Google it is all your fault." The people who say that they are going to download pirated apps are going to say "if google would have left the 24 hour window open, I would have bought the app". Odds are that this person has been downloading warez prior to this refund policy changing.

On a side note, I just realized this thread is in the wrong section of the forum. Yes it is about apps but not directly about an app, rather the policy that regards downloading apps.
    12-13-2010 06:54 PM
    Coming from BB App World where there is no refund....15 minutes is better then nothing. Strong Apps with a good reputation will stay on top while junk apps will become obsolete . I never purchase an app without first researching it or reading members reviews.

A lot of people were probably downloading everything and anything knowing they could get a refund. If you go to the store and buy something and open it, you can't return it. Same should go with apps. Once you use it you can't return it. If its defective and doesn't work then the developer should have a support system....if not, its a junked app, gets bad reviews and nobody else would buy it.
    12-14-2010 06:22 AM
    Someone already asked this with no response and I feel it's worth repeating.

Does anyone know if this change has been made? If not, when?

If it's still 24 hours I need to purchase the apps in my wish-list and make sure they work for me using my test methodology.

-Comments in Market, AppBrain, etc don't mean anything to me. I trust my opinion or will tend to trust more credible sources to help my purchase decision, but no amount of research by others can determine how an app will work for me.

-I need at least an hour, but felt 24 was fair. I'm not a dev, but know it takes time to see how an app interacts with the way I use my phone and which apps it has to play nicely with throughout the day/night.
    12-14-2010 11:23 AM
    I believe it changes with the new market update. So until the update is pushed to your device or unless you manually download it........ you still have 24hrs...download away.
    Scott_L#AC likes this.
    12-14-2010 12:24 PM
    I believe it changes with the new market update. So until the update is pushed to your device or unless you manually download it........ you still have 24hrs...download away.
    I manually updated the market, and still have 24 hours. I guess Google is just going to make the switch all at once. Or maybe they're taking the time to rethink it.

I think they meant to announce it later, anyway. They'll probably want to get it out to as many people as possible to cut down on the questions/complaints.

@Scott_L (sorry, haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes lol): It hasn't taken effect yet, so get it while you can.
    Scott_L#AC likes this.
    12-14-2010 12:50 PM
    Yea this is crap. How are you supposed to thoroughly make sure an app works in less than 15 minutes? Especially if it has to do with root or other development? There needs to be a BIG letter from the Android community protesting this. Not only is it hurting us Android users, but if you think about it, it's also going to hurt App developers as well since fewer people will be buying apps.

This decision is almost Apple-like. Scary.
    12-14-2010 02:10 PM
    Agreed that this is a strange move by Google. Thankfully the majority of devs offer a free version with a clear explanation of what the paid version would unlock or provide. Usually it is just the removal of ads, unlocked settings or simply a way to support a dev that created a quality product.

I have purchased a lot of apps wherein the paid version was nothing more than a way to support the dev for a job well done (which I am fine with and happy to do). However, there are a number of apps that did not have a free version, but I would always feel comfortable downloading them, knowing I had a day to try them out.

Not a fan of this move and hopefully Google has someone scouring the forums. I understand not keeping the 24 hour window, but at least provide a couple of hours.
    12-14-2010 03:11 PM
    You guys could try tweeting to their twitter account (@androiddev) with pleas of restoring the 24 hour window.
    12-14-2010 03:38 PM
123 12345