WHOA...Market refund window being reduced to 15 minutes?

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Google is being really foolish on this one- 15 minutes is crazy-pound wise and penny foolish

I think you mean penny wise, pound foolish.

It will hurt Google and developers financially, but it will ultimately hurt the consumer as well when developers are slow to produce apps due to the Android Market not being a lucrative option.

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
There are some apps and/or games that take at least 15 minutes just to install.

There's been numerous times the app I purchased was just an installer, the installer downloads a boatload of data, then you have to go through a registration/login process (pocket legends comes to mind). So by the time you actually get to startup the app for the first time, the refund policy has already expired.

1 or 2 hours would be more reasonable. 3 hours ideal.

That's a good point too. In fact, I've had cases where the market is in one of its flaky moods. It'll let me make the purchase, but the download will hang. If the clock starts ticking from when you authorize the purchase, you could end up with no time at all to return if the market is being flaky. Which it seems to do at least once a week...

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Count on another vote for removing my checkout info! (In fact I just did!)
I feel bad for developers who are standing to lose money and customers. Boo-you-google!:(:mad:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
To the poster that started this discussion in the Android News forum, that was a good place to start a thread about it, but I'm merging it with this thread, because this is also a good place for it.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your sentiments -- yes I don't think it takes an entire day to test out an app, but surely it takes more than 15 minutes. :confused:
Correct, Do you think it would be a lot better if they(Google) had giving us an hour instead. ;)
I think you mean penny wise, pound foolish.

It will hurt Google and developers financially, but it will ultimately hurt the consumer as well when developers are slow to produce apps due to the Android Market not being a lucrative option.
I believe if this is final...consumers will somehow learn to adapt. After all - its ANDROID. :cool:
This is TERRIBLE.
For who? Definitely not for Google or Developers. :)

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
This is TERRIBLE.
For who? Definitely not for Google or Developers. :)

I don't know about that. Maybe it won't turn into anything measurable, but I really do think that some people with either not make a purchase they might have otherwise made, or they will return a purchase they might have otherwise kept because they haven't had time to test it fully. Both of those would be terrible for both Google and developers. Maybe it will be offset by people who miss the window and they won't notice it, but I still think it could turn out to be negative for them.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
We have a long thread building at Google's help forums for Android Market -- would love to get your feedback there, please!

link to thread

Thank you!

oOps...thanks, Gekko -- you beat me to it. :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just don't whine about something that is a move for the better.

The developers are the ones who have been doing the whining. Their predicament is real & worth addressing, but 15 minutes simply is not enough time. I know the 15 minutes was set by Google, not the Devs; so, this is not a disagreement with Devs - our beef is with Google.

Developers that are worried about hackers ought to build more secure apps, not punish the end user.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I did, but honestly, I've never seen any evidence that they even read those issues, much less give a damn about them. There are bugs that have been open for years.

I have seen changes reversed based on feedback in the Google Docs help forums. Sure, it's not guarantee that our feedback is acted upon, but we deserve a voice in this.

I, for one, will be looking to purchase apps directly from developers, like gameloft.com, rather than through the Market, as long as the developers have a reasonable 'try & buy' policy.

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The developers are the ones who have been doing the whining. Their predicament is real & worth addressing, but 15 minutes simply is not enough time. I know the 15 minutes was set by Google, not the Devs; so, this is not a disagreement with Devs - our beef is with Google.

Developers that are worried about hackers ought to build more secure apps, not punish the end user.

You know, retail stores simply budget a certain amount for "shrinkage." It doesn't mean they shouldn't and don't try to stop it, but the reality is that there will always be some theft. Software is similar. Piracy will never go away.

There are three types of people:
1. People who would never pirate under any circumstances. They stick to free apps and pay for any paid apps they want.
2. People who might pirate, but would pay if the price were reasonable and they had a good demo first or a return policy. These people probably won't even bother learning how and where to get pirated apps unless something pushes them to.
3. People who will always pirate.

You just can't worry about #3. It will always be there. You do want to put reasonable defenses in and go after what you can, but there will *always* be a #3. #1 is obviously good, though this may drive some of those people to stick with a free app that seems "good enough." #2 is what you want to worry about. This change will drive some of the people in #2 to the dark side. That is why it's a bad idea.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
To say Google doesn't address any issues simply isn't true. I can name of dozens of instances where Google has made a decision directly based off of user input. I hope Google takes a second look at this, but we can only wait and see.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That is why I paid 5 bucks for power amp, I was able to try, then buy. That would be better, all sales final.

bkrodgers

May 13, 2010
Visit site
To say Google doesn't address any issues simply isn't true. I can name of dozens of instances where Google has made a decision directly based off of user input. I hope Google takes a second look at this, but we can only wait and see.

I hope so too, and I probably shouldn't paint a broad picture like that. I've just had some bad experiences with them not paying any attention to serious problems lately. (Don't want to go off topic here by mentioning them). I really do hope they pay attention this time.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
With Android it is very easy to go without paid apps. It's built-in apps are very capable, and lots of free mods and apps are out there. I had always assumed the 24 hour grace period was there to loosen wallets, and it has worked that way for me a number of times. I can't see how this policy change is a net benefit to developers.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
True. Navigon is a good example. It took me a half hour to download the maps to use the app.

There are some apps and/or games that take at least 15 minutes just to install.

There's been numerous times the app I purchased was just an installer, the installer downloads a boatload of data, then you have to go through a registration/login process (pocket legends comes to mind). So by the time you actually get to startup the app for the first time, the refund policy has already expired.

1 or 2 hours would be more reasonable. 3 hours ideal.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I believe the point that Google is trying to make is that - you don't need a whole day to figure out if you want/need the purchase app. Many might not agree on logic, but the bottom line is - its business.

A day is reasonable when testing out an apps battery consumption though. 15 minutes? I dont think anyone can rightfully justify that drastic change...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084