How to preserve overall battery lifetime?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Can you share some advice on how to prolong overall battery lifetime? How many times a day should a phone be charged, from what percentage to what percentage should be the battery charged, any useful apps, etc. Thank you.

DebbieHeaney

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I know a couple of tips that may/may not work?

Batteries are a bit like us humans and have an appitite. If you were to start eating every 2 hours regardless of how hungry you actualy are the body would get used to that and start expecting food every two hours so you would then start to feel more hungry as the time approaches.
Batteries kind of do the same. the more you charge them the more the want charged.

(1) Always wait until the battery is really out of charge to the point the device shuts down before connecting the charger.

(2) Do not over charge a battery. get to know how long it take to go from 0% too 100% charge. for example My phone takes about 3h30m to do so. When i plug the charger in i set a timer to remind me to unplug it after that time, or at the least check the charge status.

(3) temperature plays a big part in how a battery performs. A big part. batteries detest low temperates , the effects however change with battery size and type. try to keep the battery at room temperature whilst in use and whilst on charge. Say anywhere in the teens to low twenties on the Celsius scale.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
#1 is a very bad idea; ideally the battery should never fall below 20-40%. If you have to choose between leaving on the charger and letting it get dangerously low, it is better to leave it on the charger.

It is impossible to overcharge most modern devices without significantly more amperage than functional micro USB chargers can provide.

via Nexus. AndroidCentral Moderator.

DJantel Ware

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be too strict with this "do not let it fall below xy%" rules. Might be good to keep it in mind, but not as a strict rule. Because if you "never let it fall below 50%" you effectively cut down your capacity by 50% on day one.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't kill the battery (run until it powers off) or leave it fully charged on the charger all day.... Don't let it bake in the sun or freeze in the extreme cold.

Other than that, you should be fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be too strict with this "do not let it fall below xy%" rules. Might be good to keep it in mind, but not as a strict rule. Because if you "never let it fall below 50%" you effectively cut down your capacity by 50% on day one.
The usable capacity of a lithium battery is 40% to 50% of the capacity rating. Discharging it past 50% shortens the life. Down to 40% doesn't shorten it much. Down to 20%? You might get 2 years out of it, if you're willing to use a battery that can't hold much charge for a few of its last months.

Charging at 50% can give you a lot more than the spec says - I have 10 year old batteries that still give me about 90% capacity - and were charged around the 50% point all their lives. (Remember, only 90% of the gas you pay for is gas - in most places, in the US, at least, 10% is Ethanol, which doesn't give you much mileage. Produce sells by the pound, and you throw out Bell pepper seeds and core. There are a lot of things we can't use 100% of - lithium batteries are one of them. [And I'm not going to carry a GelCell in my pocket to power my phone, just so I can discharge it flat.])

Leaving the charger plugged in all day - or all week? The only problem is that if something goes wrong with the charging circuit, the house will probably burn down after the explosion. But if the phone works? You can leave the phone on the charger for months. Overcharging a lithium battery today is close to impossible.

A few battery killers:

Deep discharge.
Use when the battery is very cold (like sitting in a car overnight in sub-zero weather).
Overheating.

And one we can't do anything about - dendrites. Once you get one, it's time to find a battery recycling bin.

Darth Spock's link is to a page on Android central - which links to Battery University. And those people know about batteries, like surgeons know about bodies - they take batteries apart, torture them to death, test them under any and all conditions. It pays to take a day and read their course.