Daily Thought on HTC

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven’t written a post on AC in a while, but I felt maybe it was time to do so. As an early adopter of Android I have seen a lot of changes made over the years. Androids today are drastically different than 4 years ago, technology has been pushed to the limits and every year the devices get more powerful. This post was inspired by the release of the HTC M9 and all the comments circulating about it, by no means am I trying to convince you readers that my opinion is the best, whoever this is my opinion.

HTC has always been my favorite phone manufacturer; my favorite phone to this day was the DROID Incredible and all the waiting that came with it. As a Mechanical Engineer I appreciate the effort HTC puts into the phones. I have watch many videos on the manufacturing process of the aluminum bodies found on the HTC M7 and M8 and I give HTC credit, they have made a wonderful phone. HTC always push specs, in my opinion they make the smoothest operating phones (I have had at least one phone from every manufacture) and they seem to operate effortlessly. As I reviewed the leaked commercials I had the same initial thoughts as everyone else, wow that looks like the M7 and M8, however this is where I will make my argument.

When HTC released the M7 with the “Ultra” Pixel technology everyone was raving about how the camera was only 4 MP and this and that. I for one liked the camera, HTC tried something new, they market tested it on both the M7 and M8 and consumers didn’t seem to like it. HTC did it right, you have to market test ideas, in the grand scheme of things 2 phone builds wont decide HTC’s fate, they innovated and it just didn’t pan out. What people did like however was the app, the camera app on sense is awesome, maybe the best. HTC has learned and is now carrying this technology into the M9 with the industry standard camera where most people who understand the technology realize the MP number doesn’t matter it’s all about the sensors. However let’s face it, from a marketing stand point more MP means a better phone to the average consumer, again HTC is making the right choice.

Let’s get into the processor, Qualcomm in my option make the best processors, the quality the gold plated connections, I’m a big fan. HTC again did this right, they are rumored to be using a stable fast performing cell phone powerhouse. Even with this processor, I’m sure the average person will never realize how this affects the phone compared to last generations, but in general great job HTC.
To keep this post from getting to long, let’s jump into my final point, the look and frame of the phone. Every forum you read says “Same phone with better internals”, can anyone think of any phone over the last two years that didn’t fall into this category?

When you look at cars like BMW, has BMW ever changed the overall look of the car? I mean sure as time has passed they rounded them out made them a little more modern but you always know the front end of a BMW. This is an approach that is fundamental in terms of engineering. HTC has proven the design and feel of the phone. People like it, hell people love it, they have optimized the manufacturing process, they have created tools and molds that can crank these out. So why would HTC change the design of the phone? If every manufacture change the look of the phone every year none of them would make phones, stick with what people like and make it better. I will be an early adopter of the M9, and I hope a lot of people consider it. Buy the phone for the brand, buy the phone for the quality, buy the phone because you support and like HTC, but don’t ridicule them for optimizing a tried and true design. Don’t dis the company for not reinventing the wheel, instead realize the innovation process, and understand this is a business that needs to make money and employees thousands of people. If you’re like me, do your research on HTC and understand they truly have the highest quality phones and make an educated judgment before saying “Same thing again”. If we judged every company by the "Same thing again with different insides" philosophy you would never replace your refrigerator, upgrade your laptop / PC, buy a 2015 version of car when you own the 2013 or upgrade the rest of your appliances.

Thank you for reading, again this is my opinion on the new HTC one, please let me know your feedback in the comments.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for a well delineated post about what innovation truly is. In my opinion, it doesn't mean change for the sake of change. I'm sure the marketing guys love that, but as a consumer I would rather see phone manufacturers continue to do what they do well. I don't need startling changes every year. In fact, too many changes can make the phone less enjoyable and efficient to use. So if it isn't broke, please, please don't fix it. Incremental improvements, yes, but don't change the things we love.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The M8 was a disappointment from a sales perspective, face it. Techno gorks, bloggers, internet reviewers say one thing but the purchasing public said another. The phone was too tall, gorky looking forehead & chin, slippery back...lost ground as 2014 progressed. Brand recognition for HTC is poor...regardless of how good the phone really is.

HTC needs to make a bold statement, turn some heads, create a buzz or they'll sink into the abyss as the bigger brands pull away. I can't disagree with you more, engineering perspective is cool, but the sales data is what really counts. If they make a phone that looks like the M8 they're done. They're weak from a marketing perspective and they're already getting smoked from a "buzz" standpoint from Samsung and the phones aren't even out yet...not good.

Tons of conversations on this very topic in the HTC forum.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The M8 was a disappointment from a sales perspective, face it. Techno gorks, bloggers, internet reviewers say one thing but the purchasing public said another. The phone was too tall, gorky looking forehead & chin, slippery back...lost ground as 2014 progressed. Brand recognition for HTC is poor...regardless of how good the phone really is.

HTC needs to make a bold statement, turn some heads, create a buzz or they'll sink into the abyss as the bigger brands pull away. I can't disagree with you more, engineering perspective is cool, but the sales data is what really counts. If they make a phone that looks like the M8 they're done. They're weak from a marketing perspective and they're already getting smoked from a "buzz" standpoint from Samsung and the phones aren't even out yet...not good.

Tons of conversations on this very topic in the HTC forum.

Do you think the M8 was a flop? I believe it helped put HTC in the black. I would also challenge was it the phone that flopped or HTC's marketing? How many HTC commercials, ads and internet information do you see on HTC compared to Samsung and Apple? The other issue HTC has is they make phones, sure as of late they are branching out, but people know Samsung from appliances, TV's and many other products. Same with apple, HTC makes phones, they do not have the brand recognition to the general user like Samsung has.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Most reports I've read state that it didn't meet their sales goals and declined as the year went on. Maybe there's something to the contrary?