2 10.53%
  • No - the Note isn't the S Line

1 5.26%
  • Other: please add the comment

3 15.79%
03-10-2015 11:09 AM
35 12
tools
    Samsung has decided to model the business after the Apple model. They want to make a lot of money by charging high prices for adding a little storage to their phones. The only reason they removed the SD Slot was to force data users to pay a lot for extra memory. This is the main reason I left iOS 5 years ago. I don't mind paying more for some high speed storage for my apps, 32 GBs seems about right. But since my phone is also my media player, I don't want to want to pay a lot for high speed memory when SD Card storage is perfect for the job.

If do find the new debates funny, it seems that most of the people who never would dream of buying a Samsung phone are now defending Samsung, while long time Samsung users are the most unhappy. I think it will be interesting to see the sales of the S6. I think it is funny that so many people are supporting Samsung for their memory plan for the increase in performance but then ignore the bloat of TW that slows down Samsung phones. The tons of bloat that like KNOX, great for those who want it, but not great to have it forced on everyone. Now they have even added more bloat apps that you if you really wanted could easily be obtained from the Play store.

Our family did not upgrade from HTC to Samsung because of the Samsung brand, we switched in 2013 because HTC removed the SD card from the non Asian m7. The people I know who own Samsung products did not buy them because of the name, they bought them because they offered some features that few other phones offered. I have tolerated a lot of stuff I don't like about Samsung phones to use them because they offered the features I wanted. Most people who did not care about those features bought Motorola and Nexus phones. I think Samsung will be surprised to find they don't have a large brand following user base.
    03-07-2015 11:27 PM
    But you are the minority.

Samsung has the same following. Their sales numbers are enough to show that.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    We agree to disagree then Samsung may have a bit of a sheep-like following but nowhere as extreme as Apple. I don't think sales are having anything to do with it people are buying Samsung phones because - let's face it - they are the king of phablets (Note series is unmatched), the galaxy till the S 4 was just a great device in a nice form factor with highend specs and they were the only ones offering removable battery, SD storage + a physical/capacitive buttons. While the media may be ******** about the lack of "premium" most people I know couldn't care less because the phone will be hidden in a case.

I also happen to know a bunch of Apple users (mostly female...) and they've told me if another company would make a better phone they'd happily switch so it's nice to see that not all of them are having that blind following mentality.

Samsung has decided to model the business after the Apple model. They want to make a lot of money by charging high prices for adding a little storage to their phones. The only reason they removed the SD Slot was to force data users to pay a lot for extra memory. This is the main reason I left iOS 5 years ago. I don't mind paying more for some high speed storage for my apps, 32 GBs seems about right. But since my phone is also my media player, I don't want to want to pay a lot for high speed memory when SD Card storage is perfect for the job.

If do find the new debates funny, it seems that most of the people who never would dream of buying a Samsung phone are now defending Samsung, while long time Samsung users are the most unhappy. I think it will be interesting to see the sales of the S6. I think it is funny that so many people are supporting Samsung for their memory plan for the increase in performance but then ignore the bloat of TW that slows down Samsung phones. The tons of bloat that like KNOX, great for those who want it, but not great to have it forced on everyone. Now they have even added more bloat apps that you if you really wanted could easily be obtained from the Play store.
    I fully agree with you but I would add that Apple is doing this not only to charge more they also want to force their users into the cloud, which means they can do even more spywork and then make money again by selling the data and create their own "I services" with the new found data. I think Samsung is really planning to do the same, they are making money by bloating their new phones with the Microsoft cloud, use it to spy and then charge higher prices for more internal storage which in fact - even if it's the fastest outthere - doesn't help at all. I need the convenience of quickly having my files with me and nothing beats microsd cards in that regard (they are encrypted, data is only local !) and it takes 30 seconds at best to move the data fr5om my phone to the tablet or even notebook - no other options is coming even close to that process, especially since the card is "hidden" in the device of choice.

Your second point is spot on and very sad at the same time. Samsung should have focused on their current users instead of media reports or the wishes of "my phone is my fashion toy" crowd but as long as they don't ruin the Note by going Apple I'll be ok. The irony to me really is that the S 6 back doesn't look that premium it looks glossy and compared to the HTC cheap on the back...so yeah. I mean Samsung already set an unrealistic goal they want to break the S 4 sale numbers with the S 6 I don't think that's gonna happen or at least I hope not they shouldn't be rewarded for downgrading.
    03-08-2015 04:53 AM

Our family did not upgrade from HTC to Samsung because of the Samsung brand, we switched in 2013 because HTC removed the SD card from the non Asian m7. The people I know who own Samsung products did not buy them because of the name, they bought them because they offered some features that few other phones offered. I have tolerated a lot of stuff I don't like about Samsung phones to use them because they offered the features I wanted. Most people who did not care about those features bought Motorola and Nexus phones. I think Samsung will be surprised to find they don't have a large brand following user base.
    Unless they only plan to make a S6, S6 edge, and Note 4 for the foreseeable future, their business model is much different than Apple's.

And still - none of the "bloat" is "forced" on anyone because no one is forced to buy any of these phones.

And even still, sales of the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5 may have been "disappointing", but they were probably much more than the LG G2/G3, HTC One/One (M8), etc. etc.
    03-09-2015 01:29 PM
    Wouldn't think so, I've bought the Note for one reason and one reason only because the best phone out there and it just happens to be a Samsung but I wouldn't buy anything just because it has a Samsung logo on it.
    And you're not the general consumer.
    03-09-2015 01:29 PM
    And you're not the general consumer.
    You can post that as often as you want still doesn't make it true because I'm the typical user the Note series was aimed at.

But I'm for sure not a form over function user.
    03-09-2015 02:25 PM
    You can post that as often as you want still doesn't make it true because I'm the typical user the Note series was aimed at.

But I'm for sure not a form over function user.
    You can keep telling yourself that "normals" care about removable batteries and SD card slots over "shiny new Samsung" or "cool big phone". Still won't make it true.

S Pen makes the Note line, not the removable batteries and SD card slots. There's the function over form.
    Almeuit likes this.
    03-09-2015 02:40 PM
    Yes, the s pen is an USP but the Note line is more: top specs, gorgeous displays but all those features mean nothing without enough power or storage so the removable battery and sd card are going hand in hand with it.
    03-09-2015 07:50 PM
    I don't think we should be worried.
    03-09-2015 10:17 PM
    You can keep telling yourself that "normals" care about removable batteries and SD card slots over "shiny new Samsung" or "cool big phone". Still won't make it true.

S Pen makes the Note line, not the removable batteries and SD card slots. There's the function over form.
    I have to agree with this. I am the only one of out of all my friends that use a spare battery. I never used the SD card, along with my friends, and my brother.
    Ry likes this.
    03-10-2015 10:22 AM
    This Galaxy Alpha (that is now selling for $320, down from $600+ mind you) doesn't have an SD slot and I'm living just fine. The world has not stopped rotating, there's still air to breath...despite what some around these parts would have you believe.

🍷from The 🅰lpha (not the Omega) 🔱
    Ry likes this.
    03-10-2015 11:09 AM
35 12